Best Filtering AF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
There is nothing wrong with the OEM filter only down side is they have to be thrown away every 15k.

Every 15k miles?? That's way overkill, in most situations. If you live next to a coal strip mine, it might be different, but a standard OEM or OEM replacement filter should last for 30-50k miles.

Amsoil air filters are good to like 3 microns or something. They are a dry filter and flow great. They also sell the sock that goes around the filter and it is water repellant for those with cai

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
OK, you worry about caking with dust...

Please realize that the filter media does very little of the filtering. It is the particle "cake" that does the filtration. That layer of dirt isnt a bad thing unless the pressure drop across is causing the engine to do excessive work.

Different companies sell a little gauge that can be used to determine the pressure drop on the filter and show when it is time to replace. If you are in that dusty of an environment, Id recommend getting one of these - it is a good investment, IMO.

This is true. Just use an OEM or paper filter of your choice don't change too soon, don't vacuum, air blow, shake 'em, Just leave it tightly in place and let it be for the recommended mileage. I use them longer because I live in a less dusty environment.

What's the downside of vacuuming it? I was going to change the air filter of a used car I bought, because the dealer inspection gave it a "yellow" rating (green yellow red). I took it out and it was largely white. I just vaccuumed a few bugs out of it and sand out of the filter box and put it back in.

I just got off the phone with the AFE sales rep(I was trying to find an AF for my rig). He said told me that their OILED Pro 5R af, filters dust and dirt better than the pro dry s.

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
There is nothing wrong with the OEM filter only down side is they have to be thrown away every 15k.
IMO OEM, AFE pro dry and the AEM air filters are the best filters on the market for keeping the air to the engine cleanest.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My cheapo prefilter is two layers of discard pantyhose catches good amount of leaves, bugs, sand, dust ... I removed the pantyhose from the filter every few months to clean it and put it back on. The air filter looks almost new after 2 years/25k miles.

What if your wife catches you changing the pantyhose on your air cleaner ?

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
What if your wife catches you changing the pantyhose on your air cleaner ?

That's easy, start buying your own pair and say they are your own, truthfully.
laugh.gif

His wife is most likely happy that her old panty hose are getting put to good use.
Now if he starts flying them on the radio antenna, then he might be getting into trouble.

DrDusty -
I also have a ZX2. Any questions, let me know!

Make sure the filter you get is the large one. They have replacements that are small cylinders, not large cone shaped.
This is a dirty trick to save a few pennies.

Other then that, get anybody's. Really.

Dr. Dusty I understand your concern because in my little part of TEXAS my Avalon air filter barely makes 5,000 miles. I do have a pressure differential gauge that I installed and the gauge and visually you know when to change.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
Dr. Dusty I understand your concern because in my little part of TEXAS my Avalon air filter barely makes 5,000 miles. I do have a pressure differential gauge that I installed and the gauge and visually you know when to change.

What kind of gauge you you have and what standard do you use for changing? I'm about to install Donaldson Informer restriction indicators and the generic info I have gleaned says to change the AF when restriction reaches 2.5kPa (10" H20) over the initial. You can use WOT to measure that restriction or another arbritary point. Anyway, would like to hear how you are doing it. You must have SERIOUS dust there if you reach a terminal point in only 5K miles. Here, I've been changing filters at about 6 year intervals on the car. More frequently on the farm trucks and tractors, but we don't get all that much dust here most times.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Last time I saw a comparison of a bunch of filters, it was an ACDelco paper filter that filtered the best. The various oiled re-usable filters let the most dirt through...enough that I'd never consider using one on any of my vehicles.

You probably were looking at this test. Impressive results for AC Delco in there.

Just a note;

For those of you that have Cummins Diesels, (Dodges),the air box has a small flow indicator on it, and when the color goes from mid-yellow towards red, change the filter. Also, be sure to vacuum the air box and intake BEFORE you install a new filter, no matter what make,model/type of car/truck, you have. Our Turbos don't like dust and dirt! They make enough soot in their oil as it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back