best coolant choice for iron block, brass radiator and Al trans cooler?

Well I ordered the Honda type 2 coolant, since it will arrive tomorrow and then I can forget about it for 5 years or so.

While waiting I also saw this CLR vid
I do use CLR around here a LOT due to hard water. I probably won't bother with the RV since I did flush it very well already, but might for next job.

Anyone use a coolant filter with appreciable results?

Late vote for Toyota Red. My '88 Supra has an iron block, aluminum head, and brass/copper heater core. Originally it had a copper radiator, but I now have an aluminum one. Red excels at dealing with this mix of metals.

Late vote for Toyota Red. My '88 Supra has an iron block, aluminum head, and brass/copper heater core. Originally it had a copper radiator, but I now have an aluminum one. Red excels at dealing with this mix of metals.
This BITOG implies Toyota and Honda are essentially same. Pink is likely not.

I did seesome other papers but I Am Not A Chemist:

There is also BITOG posts suggesting that Honda Type 2 have sebacates "which are plasticizers" but I have not seen the concern that there is with 2EHA.
There might not actually be a concern with 2-EHA (2-ethylhexyl acrylate) and butyl rubber as MSDS calls for butyl gloves. AFAIK the parts in a 71 Mopar consist of paper, butyl hoses, and steel head gaskets. I do not know about the industrial water pump seal composition but likely butyl for the era.

Anything that meets the Cummins 14603 spec.
Nice.
  • Superior aluminium and solder protection whichprevents corrosion and erosion damage.Recommended for all diesel, petrol, LPG and natural gas engines.
  • Compatible with all chemical-free Extended Service(ES) and standard service coolant filters.
  • 2-Ethylhexanoic (2-EH) acid free formulation.
  • Propylene glycol is environmentally safe,has low toxicity and is biodegradable.
  • PGXL® HD coolant is low silicate, contains a full charge of heavy-duty chemical inhibitors, and is compatible with most conventional SCAs.
  • PGXL® HD offers improved protection from liner pitting, scale, aluminium corrosion and water pump seal leakage.
  • PGXL® HD uses hybrid technology that combines the best of Organic Additive Technology (OAT) and conventional inhibitor technologies to enhance corrosion protection performance.
  • PGXL® HD coolant has a Life of Engine* service life performance of 1 million kilometres

I’d still go with an HOAT since everything was designed with consideration of a silicated coolant back when.

I’d still go with an HOAT since everything was designed with consideration of a silicated coolant back when.
It seems the
Acura/Honda coolant is P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT), and HOAT is Hybrid OAT, Phosphate-free
As long I I stick with distilled water the Honda should be good.

It seems the

As long I I stick with distilled water the Honda should be good.

As I recall, Honda Type II is silicate free. Not 100% sure if/why they call it a HOAT given no silicate.

But I would validate that. IMO you want silicates in this antique.

Super flushing can likely yield an ok result, but for peace of mind personally I’d want silicate in a system designed for it.

As I recall, Honda Type II is silicate free. Not 100% sure if/why they call it a HOAT given no silicate.

But I would validate that. IMO you want silicates in this antique.

Super flushing can likely yield an ok result, but for peace of mind personally I’d want silicate in a system designed for it.
It seems the
Acura/Honda coolant is P-HOAT
quote was wrong - type 2 is a POAT.
It was mega-flushed, and I'll count on the phosphate to work as the silicates did, as the 3 old Hondas I had had the same metal mix, ie brass radiators.

HOAT is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, a hybrid of Inorganic Acid Technology and OAT.

Both Silicate and Phosphate are inorganic and commonly hybridized with OAT as Si-OAT and PHOAT ("POAT" can also mean Poly-OAT, which is different).

I would personally use a Si-OAT because as already touched on PHOATs should never be mixed with any silicates at all, nor are phosphates compatible with hard water.

Since your vehicle was previously using silicated coolant it's hard to be sure the silicates have 100% flushed out, and because it's an RV there's a good chance that at some point in an emergency hard water will be the only available makeup water source.

Last edited:
Back