Bernzomatic Map Pro torch kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cam across this Berzomatic Map Pro torch kit and looked into it a bit. MAPP was a trade mark name and stood for Methlacetylene-propadine-propane. When mixed with oxygen, it could produce a 5,000 F flame and could be used to cut steel. MAPP production ended in 2008 according to Wiki.

Bernzomatic has this product, Map Pro that consists mostly of propylene which burns at 3730 F, slightly higher than a propane torch which burns at 3620 F.
Apparently you're not supposed to use an ordinary propane set up on the cylinder.

Has anyone used this, and what do you think. Is the extra 100 deg worth switching over? The kit was on sale for about $36 US and included the controller and one cylinder. Thanks.

72CD3E1E-040A-49E1-8102-DFEFF41542CF.jpeg

Last edited:
I use this all the time at my shop, but I was under the impression that Mapp was much much hotter. I guess Ill save a few bucks and go back to propane.

I used a head like that on propane bottles a lot (until I broke it). Worked much better than a pencil top flame for heating stuff. Also have an oxyMAPP setup, though like you said MAPP doesn't exist anymore so I guess its a oxy-propane setup...

If I was going to buy another turbo head I'd just go with a propane setup.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Just checked. Bernzomatic also sells a Map Pro / Oxygen kit and that one goes to 5300 F.

Read reviews of this product. Take those that say it's impossible to adjust properly and the oxygen only lasts 10 minutes to heart. I bought it, thew it in the garbage, and bought a small Victor oxygen/acetylene setup.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back