Bentley and Volkswagen

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
When did Volkswagen take over the production of Bentley?

The VW Phaeton shared a lot with the Bentleys of the era.
The Continental was a Phaeton.

VW developing the Phaeton allowed Bentley to start with a clean slate and minimal development costs. They were built in the same factory in Dresden with some finish work happening in Crewe for the Bentley.

Have a look at "Die Gläserne Manufaktur" when you have a chance. Never been a factory like it before or since.

I was disappointed when Bentley went one way and Rolls the other. What is the opinion of quality today versus before the ownership changes?

I personally have a much higher opinion of Bentley now. VW brought them like a bat out of hell into the 21st century.
I used to see them in FL during the winter. Beautiful cars. There is a sport model that is really fast. I talked to an owner in a Costco parking lot and he said he had it up to around 180 on I-75.

This summer my son was gifted a young driver experience - this is an opportunity for youths to have a go at driving a car in a controlled environment (in this case an airfield). He is 13 years old and was booked to drive a compact automatic hatchback (a Vauxhall/Opel Astra). However on the day we arrived the car he had been allocated to had broken down, so they substituted the only free automatic car they had. My son's first ever driving experience was in a Bentley Continental Flying Spur! I've never even driven or even been inside a Bentley.

I was disappointed when Bentley went one way and Rolls the other. What is the opinion of quality today versus before the ownership changes?
With regards to Rolls it's top of the line BMW drivelines with Rolls Royce bodywork and levels of interior refinement and options. I imagine Bentley (VAG) is similar and would guess that reliability has only improved comparatively speaking.

Bentleys are rather common around Atlanta and the sedans/coupes always have seem to ride a lot taller off the ground vs the population. Bentley styling is kina Meh. Basically an expensive Jelly Bean.

I am 99.999999999999999% sure that I'll never own either, so will not experience their build quality, reliability, or how they drive.

I am 99.999999999999999% sure that I'll never own either, so will not experience their build quality, reliability, or how they drive.
Life is crazy. Never say never. Money changes hands all the time and sometimes you gain a ton and sometimes you could lose it all!

My next big purchase will be a Western Star truck, and Freflyt trailer. Together they will cost about $450,000 so I'm saving towards the downpayment, and a few months operating expenses, as there will be a delay between getting it, and revenue coming in.
When my logging truck account reaches $150,000 I'll be a buyer, its only at $87,400 currently.
Have to rebuild my house repair account, its almost dry, about $2,600 total, after this summer getting new windows, siding, roof, rain gutters, furnace, and replacing half of the upstairs flooring. Next summer I would like to do the rest of the flooring.
My vacation savings account took a beating last spring, but we had a great trip.
Life is expensive!

Back