BBQ Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is that it was a fundraiser.
The purpose of a fundraiser is to extract money from individuals to meet the objectives of an organization.
Chicken was the medium of choice utilized here.
The fact that you got something to gnaw on out of the deal is a bonus.
How many quality car washes have you ever received from a bunch of HS cheerleaders?

shannow has the right idea. SUE THEM !!!!!!!!!!!
i'll bet that you could find an ambulance chasing lawyer that would take that case.
antiqueshell could chime in, because this COULD be a conspiracy.
several posters are giving you little jabs, and rightfully so.be honest -- this is a pretty petty thing to itch about -- and at a church fundraiser, to boot.
there are tv ads thast state that about 20k. kids die of starvation every day, around the globe. there's possibly about a billion people in the world that would cut your throat for that meal.
you must lead a charmed life if this warrants starting an itching thread.
there's are four of us here, having a coffee, and reading this. all are lol. thank you for our morning laugh.

at any rate, have a good day,and evening.
happy mother's day to any mothers in bitog land.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: urrlord

repeat this after me

"GRILLED CHICKEN IS NOT FRAGGIN BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN."

I agree, around here chicken in any form is not barbecue. Unless its a pork shoulder or a boston butt, its not barbecue. Here in the south , barbecue means pork shoulders or butts cooked. Not any other meat is "barbecue. You could call it barbecued chicken, but not barbecue.

Yep...I was just about to type that in the OP's neck-of-the-woods, BBQ means pig. Period...(pork) butts included. Here in Tx, it includes beef. Sounds like you've got some Yankees infiltrating with a low BBQ IQ.....

OTOH, the price of both pig & beef recently shot up...and this was a fundraiser. So they're probably wanting to minimize their costs. Thus you got....bird. Which is cheap compared to the other two. That's the new economy for you!

Wife and I got a pair of fundraiser bbq plates today.We were suppose to get 2 plates and an extra pound of BBQ.When we got there at the scheduled time we were told that the all of the extra BBQ was gone and they subbed 2 chicken quarters.OK.Not a fan and not equivalent to a pound of Boston Butt.But I still have some BBQ.

A few hours later I open my takeout tray.WTH?I have grilled chicken on my plate.1 Dry grilled chicken quarter.No sauce.No bbq in sight.

repeat this after me

Oops, Thank you for the donation, now get over it.

Wow, I realize the crew here at BITOG is one of the most fractious I have ever seen on a forum.But I never realized it had so many self righteous members.

Ya'll have been good for some laughs.If only for your lack of comprehension and/or reading skills or perhaps it is willful rude behavior on your parts.I don't know.Don't care either.

Have a good one folks.

Always a hit or miss.
Wife and I used to do a lot of motorcycle event rides (less now), usually for a cause. We've had some great BBQ included from steaks, tri-tip etc. with all kinds of extras, then pies, cakes, ice cream etc.
Then once we went on a doggie run (fundraiser for poor doggies in need of medical and finding a home). It was a nice ride along a couple rivers, then a stop at a park for lunch. Got the cheapest boiled hot dog on a dry hotdog bun, just one. That it, I mean that's it. No mustard, onions, nada... no drinks, chips, nada nada nada. Go on a doggie run and eat a dry dog.
Lucky I knew the gal who set up the run. Later told her and she was upset because she paid a food service x-amount of $$ to feed all ticket bought riders a BBQ rib lunch plate. She found out more about it later. She didn't know because she was at the start/registration location. More feedback came back which just made her more made. Ripped off $$/service.
No matter, wife and I ride some events for the cause and to enjoy the ride with others. Sometimes we get fed well, sometimes so & so, but we don't always expect the best foods, sometimes we get more than expected. Many run a poker run, have raffles etc. As long as we have fun and I'm able to ride, we enjoy it rather than sitting at home sometimes picking our nose.

Yep, don't get bent out of shape for something sooo unimportant.

Its like the time I bought peanut butter Girl Scout cookies and when I opened the box there were lemon cookies inside.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: spasm3

repeat this after me

I agree, around here chicken in any form is not barbecue. Unless its a pork shoulder or a boston butt, its not barbecue. Here in the south , barbecue means pork shoulders or butts cooked. Not any other meat is "barbecue. You could call it barbecued chicken, but not barbecue.

Yep...I was just about to type that in the OP's neck-of-the-woods, BBQ means pig. Period...(pork) butts included. Here in Tx, it includes beef. Sounds like you've got some Yankees infiltrating with a low BBQ IQ.....

OTOH, the price of both pig & beef recently shot up...and this was a fundraiser. So they're probably wanting to minimize their costs. Thus you got....bird. Which is cheap compared to the other two. That's the new economy for you!

I would not get bent out of shape about it

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep, don't get bent out of shape for something sooo unimportant.

Its like the time I bought peanut butter Girl Scout cookies and when I opened the box there were lemon cookies inside.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to antiqueshell.

He'll consider it theft and shoot them.

Wow, I realize the crew here at BITOG is one of the most fractious I have ever seen on a forum.But I never realized it had so many self righteous members.

Ya'll have been good for some laughs.If only for your lack of comprehension and/or reading skills or perhaps it is willful rude behavior on your parts.I don't know.Don't care either.

Have a good one folks.
What did you expect? Everyone to march on the folks responsible for the atrocity? If you were serious about the issue you would have addressed the people running the fundraiser to see what the issue was. These are probably not foodservice professionals; they were likely volunteers volunteering. Most likely they just did a poor job at estimating the food needed for the tickets sold. Or the people making the plates were overfilling them initially. All the sudden they needed more food and you get what you get. Since you're such a BBQ expert you're aware that if you make a mistake in your meat estimation it's all over. You can't cook butts in an hour. I wonder what would be something that cooks faster they could serve to keep the fundraising going?

I was going to say they should have told you they were out of butt. Maybe they did. You were told they were out of the bulk pork. You may have misunderstood or they did a poor job explaining.

Last edited:
I really really hate it when there is a curly fry in my regular fries. I clearly ordered regular fries and they clearly don't care that I paid them decent money to know the difference.
lol.gif

It's terrible having first world problems and having a public forum that doesn't always agree with my complaints.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I really really hate it when there is a curly fry in my regular fries.

I consider it a nice surprise!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
It's terrible having first world problems and having a public forum that doesn't always agree with my complaints.
28.gif

Have you ever found a cashew in a bag clearly marked "peanuts" ?

We take our barbeque serious around here.Restaurants have went out of business when they switched from pulled pork to chopped pork.

And it is always entertaining hearing from the philistines and the demihumans and the ignorant.

Given that it was a charity, and not a business, you can't really closed them down by removing your patronage...I stand by my sue them comment.

When did I ever say anything about closing them down or suing any one?You seem to be the litigious one.

We take our barbeque serious around here.Restaurants have went out of business when they switched from pulled pork to chopped pork.

And it is always entertaining hearing from the philistines and the demihumans and the ignorant.
I'm trying to figure out how a restaurant could keep the doors open, in an area serious about BBQ, with pulled pork in the first place? Was it cooked in a crock pot too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

I'm trying to figure out how a restaurant could keep the doors open, in an area serious about BBQ, with pulled pork in the first place? Was it cooked in a crock pot too?

No it was a pit cooked hog and the meat was pulled off and shredded.The owners wife convinced him that chopped was easier to prepare.The people in that town stopped eating there.

I like either way as long as there is good sauce.If the sauce is not very good I like a chunkier meat like the shredded.I never ate there.I was in that town buying a pickup from a friends relative, saw the place and inquired about it.I was told it was pretty good.A few months later I was passing through that town and saw the restaurant was closed.When I asked my buddy about it he related the info about the change and its results.IIRC he said one of the complaints was the chopped was greasier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back