Battery Charger Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 12V Battery Chargers do you prefer?

I'm looking for a bench top charger, preferably automatic (although a manual option would be nice), at least 10 amp fast charge, 100 amp engine start and under $100.

I've done a lot of searching and the reviews are mixed at best.

No single brand stands out and those with a good rep in the past such as Schumacher have outsourced production to China and Mexico with corresponding decline in build quaility and reliability

Start yard sale shopping; you want a heavy transformer in a metal box. Everything else is just decoration.
lol.gif

If the cables are shot get some cheapo jumper cables and splice 'em in.

I'm a manual 6 amp person; slow but steady. The 6 amp chargers use so little copper they haven't been seriously cheapened in recent years.

I have Schumacher SC-7000 SpeedCharge for abpout 7-8 years, still working well.

Amazon has newer Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge for $82.

I have a vector VEC1097 digital smart control 2/10/30 amp battery charger with an 80 amp engine start thats made in china that was around $70 that i have had for around 5 years that works well.
It is fully automatic and has a desulfate mode an alternator test mode and an equalize mode as well and has settings for wet, gel and agm batteries.
It has worked well for me the only thing is i wish it had a manual overide on it for those really dead batteries that won't charge in automatic mode.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
What 12V Battery Chargers do you prefer?

I'm looking for a bench top charger, preferably automatic (although a manual option would be nice), at least 10 amp fast charge, 100 amp engine start and under $100.

I've done a lot of searching and the reviews are mixed at best.

No single brand stands out and those with a good rep in the past such as Schumacher have outsourced production to China and Mexico with corresponding decline in build quaility and reliability

I have a Century charger with a 100 amp start and normal charging. I have had it 10 years and never have used the engine start. While its somewhat automatic, its not like some of the newer ones that can be left connected permanently.

Think about when you would use the 100 amp start. The charger is home. Do you have another vehicle and jumper cables? A jumppack? You are always better (for the alternator) to charge a dead battery than boost or jump it and try and have the alternator charge it.

And do not toss out old manual charger. Sometimes you need to use a manual charger to bring a battery up to 10-11 volts before an automatic charger will work on a battery.

Originally Posted By: Ironduke4
I have a vector VEC1097 digital smart control 2/10/30 amp battery charger with an 80 amp engine start thats made in china that was around $70 that i have had for around 5 years that works well.
It is fully automatic and has a desulfate mode an alternator test mode and an equalize mode as well and has settings for wet, gel and agm batteries.
It has worked well for me the only thing is i wish it had a manual overide on it for those really dead batteries that won't charge in automatic mode.

I had a Vector and liked it. But mine broke after a few years and now I think they went out of business or were bought out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Think about when you would use the 100 amp start. The charger is home. Do you have another vehicle and jumper cables? A jumppack?

I really need the engine start feature, too many times I've had a battery on it last legs and just needed a little extra boost to get the engine started one last time.

Jumping is pain and batteries have a nasty habit of failing beyond the easy reach of booster cables.

Think about when you would use the 100 amp start. The charger is home. Do you have another vehicle and jumper cables? A jumppack?

I really need the engine start feature, too many times I've had a battery on it last legs and just needed a little extra boost to get the engine started one last time.

Jumping is pain and batteries have a nasty habit of failing beyond the easy reach of booster cables.

Obviously everyone has there own requirements. I prefer a jumppack. Keep in mind that to get full power from the charger in 100 amp boost mode, you may need a not too long #12 extension.

Of course the ultimate is a diesel pickup with dual batteries.

Not to be a smarta$$, but that is flawed logic from the word go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back