Basic, self-propelled push mower recommendation?

I want to buy a new gas powered, self-propelled push mower and I'd like to stay under $350. I might push the price a little if there was some really enticing feature(s) worth the additional $$$. My yard is about 1/3 acre.

I can go to Home Depot or Lowes, but I'm I should also look at independent mower shops? Both Home Depot and Lowes have mowers with both Briggs & Stratton engines or Honda. Most of them are about 150-160cc engines. Most of the mowers I've owned had the Briggs & Stratton engines and they've ran great. I did have a mower a few years ago with the Honda motor and it didn't last very long...I was not impressed, but I woudn't object to buying another mower with a Honda motor. Maybe I just got a lemon once.

Does anyone have any mower brand and/or engine recommendations?

Thank you!

Ed

my somewhat distant second choice would be:

I would have to say go with a Toro Super Recycler. Yes, it will cost more, but it will last. I once purchased a "cheap" (under $300) self propelled push mower which came with a 2 year warranty, and it lasted 2.5 seasons before the self propelled unit died. I next bit the bullet and purchased a Toro Super Recycler to replace spending about $500 if I recall correctly, and it is still going strong 25 years later.

The only "repairs" I've done are air filters, the wheels (once), the blade (upgraded to an Oregon Gator blade), a diaphragm in the carburetor, the primer bulb, and a couple of spark plugs.

I have a Honda with their 160cc engine. If I had a complaint, I guess it would be nicer if it had their larger 190cc engine especially in the spring when our grass grows stupid fast. I should mow it 2x a week but just don't have the time...

I bought mine from an independent dealer and they price-matched Home Depot. If I needed any repairs, they are where it would go as well which helps since I bought it from them too.

I have a Husqvarna RWD walk behind mower I purchased from Lowes 3 summers ago now with the Honda 160 GCV engine on it. It starts first pull so far every time with the auto choke. I just change the air filter & oil with a 5W30 synthetic before mowing season. Granted its only 3 years old at the moment -- would I make the same purchase --- yes I would.

Be different. You have 1/3 of an acre. Get the $459 Troy-Bilt 23" self propelled mower with the 175CC Briggs & Stratton engine.
We have a neighbour with a 1/2 acre lot. It's fairly hilly and he has quite a few plantings. He fancies himself an expert gardener.

He has a garden tractor with a mower attachment. And he has the worst looking lawn in the area. He mows only with it and can't get close enough to his plantings. And in the gullies it digs in on one side and rides high on the other. It looks bad before he mows and it looks bad when he's done.

His yard is the best argument I've ever seen for not getting too much mower.

I have 1/2 acre with a similar situation. I have a push type mower and while it looks good when I'm done, mowing is just too much work.

I'd say a self propelled mower would be just about right.

I would have to say go with a Toro Super Recycler. Yes, it will cost more, but it will last. I once purchased a "cheap" (under $300) self propelled push mower which came with a 2 year warranty, and it lasted 2.5 seasons before the self propelled unit died. I next bit the bullet and purchased a Toro Super Recycler to replace spending about $500 if I recall correctly, and it is still going strong 25 years later.

The only "repairs" I've done are air filters, the wheels (once), the blade (upgraded to an Oregon Gator blade), a diaphragm in the carburetor, the primer bulb, and a couple of spark plugs.
What you're basically saying is : Go buy a 1996 Toro Super Recycler :cool:

I would have to say go with a Toro Super Recycler. Yes, it will cost more, but it will last.
I strongly considered a Toro Super Recycler before I ended up buying the Honda. I specifically looked for Toro's non-consumer grade model, not the models you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc, but only at dealers, if I'm not mistaken. In the end, the price was just too high for me. The reliability, especially related to the transmission/self-propel drive, seems to be very poor on the consumer-grade models.

I’ve owned a 22” Toro Recycler. Good engine. Good cut. The drive system is the weak point. I had the original drive axle go out and the replacement go out. I gave that thing away and bought a 21” Snapper Ninja Commecial.

For your needs, Lowe’s has a Craftsman 21” self propelled for $369. It comes with a 160cc Honda engine. It’s a front wheel drive and tend to perform poorly on hilly ground.

This TroyBilt is essentially the same as the Craftsman at Lowe’s.

You may want to look for a Husqvarna.

I strongly considered a Toro Super Recycler before I ended up buying the Honda. I specifically looked for Toro's non-consumer grade model, not the models you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc, but only at dealers, if I'm not mistaken. In the end, the price was just too high for me. The reliability, especially related to the transmission/self-propel drive, seems to be very poor on the consumer-grade models.
Yes, a very poor drive on the Toro Recycler.

Yes, a very poor drive on the Toro Recycler.
I actually bought a used Recycler and the drive failed on it. As I recall, the parts were $150 and I wasn't sure if it was something I could repair myself as I have no experience with anything like it. Hard to justify that price when I could buy a brand new mower for the same price. Granted, it might only last a few years, but it sure would be simpler!

I kept using the mower as a "push" mower at our old house and while the yard was small, it was still a pain 'cause that mower was heavy ! When we moved, our new yard is 4x bigger and I said no way am I pushing this anymore.

I actually bought a used Recycler and the drive failed on it. As I recall, the parts were $150 and I wasn't sure if it was something I could repair myself as I have no experience with anything like it. Hard to justify that price when I could buy a brand new mower for the same price. Granted, it might only last a few years, but it sure would be simpler!

I kept using the mower as a "push" mower at our old house and while the yard was small, it was still a pain 'cause that mower was heavy ! When we moved, our new yard is 4x bigger and I said no way am I pushing this anymore.
It’s a booger to replace the drive unit. That’s why I gave it away after the second round. Pushing that thing through thick St. Augustine grass was a drain. The Snapper Ninja Commercial has the absolute best drive system on a self propelled mower.

What you're basically saying is : Go buy a 1996 Toro Super Recycler :cool:
Yup. If I had thought of it back then I would have purchased a 2nd one as a spare/backup. I did purchase a second Toro Super Recycler with the Personal Pace drive system and while it's built like a tank and has been flawless as well, it does not get as much use as it's older brother. My wife prefers the older Toro to the new one for some reason. Now before I get jumped on, I don't make my wife mow the lawn. She does it for exercise and stress relief.

That’s why I gave it away after the second round.
I sold mine but made it 100%, very, very clear that it might say "self-propelled" on the deck, that it was a push mower because the drive was broken. I wasn't going to have a buyer come back saying I lied about it. I priced it accordingly too.

Since you are in California, I would consider the Ryobi electric mowers at Home Depot. I have 2 sons with them and they are very nice. The blade senses it is slowing down in thick grass and speeds up and the drive system senses the speed you want to walk. They are light to move around too. One son mows a half acre with his and still has half the power left. No worry of storing gas and it getting old or of the carb gumming up. have read that mice like the wires in electric mowers

Back