Bars Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little tractor (MF35) has a coolant leak throught he water pump seal.
I thought that instead of working on it in the cold, I would put in a bottle of Bars Leaks to get through to the spring, then replace the pump, and take advantage of the warm weather to clean and paint.
Do you think it would work on a seal?

I wouldn't use it at all, it will likely gum up your cooling system. Better to keep topping it off until you're ready to fix it right.

The only time I'd put any stop leak whether coolant or in the A/C is if the car is a beater that you're trying to limp along for a while before it hits the junkyard.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
while it works on radiators n gaskets - not sure it would on a seal

Ditto. Sealers don't work on rotating parts. It will seal while stopped, but once you start again, the rotating shaft will undo the magic.

Nope, it won't do a thing for a water pump seal. If we were talking about some stationary part leaking, then it might work. But in this case, it would be a waste of time and money... and would unnecessarily introduce extra crud into the system.

You should try the dry-ginger-in-a-tube version of Bars Leaks. If the leak isn't really sever, it should work. Don't overuse it. The excess will come out when you flush in the spring.

K

P.S. Oops, I misread. Scratch all that. You're all correct about the seal. Bars Leaks won't work on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back