Bakken Oil Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Being green is flying all over the USA in a 747 telling the subjects to conserve.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkC
My agenda is that I have a degree in Geology and keep up with things as much as I can.
There's always some big new thing that shows how much oil we have domestically and how much better off we'll be if we exploit it.
Never mind how much waste is produced, how much water is needed for the process, or even realistic estimates of what's where and how much can be gotten out.
To get oil from the Bakken Formation these days, the shale is fractured and drilled horizontally in most cases.
Here's a decent article:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3868

A fellow Oil Drum reader, cool.

It's interesting to see how your rational comments on the real-world difficulties of oil production, in this case concerning the Bakken, are met with silence.

Originally Posted By: hillclimber
Originally Posted By: MarkC
My agenda is that I have a degree in Geology and keep up with things as much as I can.
There's always some big new thing that shows how much oil we have domestically and how much better off we'll be if we exploit it.
Never mind how much waste is produced, how much water is needed for the process, or even realistic estimates of what's where and how much can be gotten out.
To get oil from the Bakken Formation these days, the shale is fractured and drilled horizontally in most cases.
Here's a decent article:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3868

A fellow Oil Drum reader, cool.

It's interesting to see how your rational comments on the real-world difficulties of oil production, in this case concerning the Bakken, are met with silence.

You are assuming that there is any disagreement with what Mark has said, where there is none. Like I said, there is oil there, it is just a matter of how fast it can be persuaded to ooze out of the ground. It is rather his condescending, holier than thou preaching that generally has him put on iggy.
The Oil Drum is another site that used to be read, but the majority of people there seem to be drinking their own particular brand of koolaid as well.

I can't understand the need to deplete every potential resource NOW ..just to temporarily maintain the status quo ..that is totally unsustainable under any model that anyone can construct (even the novice in their own head). 6 months worth of petroleum and then take a shovel to it.

If this were King Allan's homestead, I would use the site for R&D on extraction methods ..and cap it off and sit on it. 6 months can be stretched to 20 years if you really need the stuff for some things that can not be exchanged for other energy sources.

But Gary, that is what is being said, even if you wanted to, you cannot deplete the entire resource NOW, even with improved fracing technology (downhole fracturing) it will take a loooong time for all of the recoverable material to come out of those units.

Quote:

If this were King Allan's homestead, I would use the site for R&D on extraction methods ..and cap it off and sit on it. 6 months can be stretched to 20 years if you really need the stuff for some things that can not be exchanged for other energy sources.

In effect, that is what IS happening.

But it's acknowledged that even if one could extract it all TODAY, it would provide only 6 months of our current demand (current can be variable, I would imagine, now that we're in a jam). 6 months worth is not 10% of anything ..nor 1% of anything when you're talking the rest of time.

Investors might be wise to note that about 25% of the Bakken Formation lies in Canada, and there are relatively few rigs there compared to our side of the border....

"Investors might be wise to note that about 25% of the Bakken Formation lies in Canada, and there are relatively few rigs there compared to our side of the border.... "

Investors should really be aware that the "500 Billion Barrels of recoverable oil" claims come from know Stock hyping sites, hoping to inflate the price of near penny stocks so that they can do a "pump and dump"

They ignore USGS and other industry reports, ignore the fact that Marathon oil and others have been drilling into it for 50 years, etc. without yet having found Saudi Arabia size oil fields.

Of course Rush Limbaugh helped the hypers by using their claims
to thrash liberals, who supposedly oppose wasting oil in SUV's.
Even those this scam was widely exposed, I have yet to hear a retraction from him.

For those who are challenged by math, there is a difference between 500 billion, 5 billion and 500 million.
One may notice that the pump and dump stock selling scams quote from supposedly accurate sources but are careless about adding lots of zero's. BUY STOCK IN THESE COMPANIES NOW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back