Bad employers

There is currently a thread about bad employees on here.
So its time for a thread about bad employers.

I had 7 jobs before becoming self employed.
4 were good places to work, 3 were terrible.

I'm sure that many of you have some horror stories about current or past jobs, and the idiots who ran the place, lets hear them.

I found the thread bashing employees for being stupid, really entertaining.

I worked for a dry cleaner, he was the most corrupt, crooked, lying, cheating, scumbag I ever met.
He treated us worse than slaves, sure not like valued employees.

Also worked at Subway, and that is why I'll never eat at a subway again. That guy cared nothing about sanitation, food quality, his customers, or us workers. Yuck!!!

Ran heavy equipment for a guy who would screw his own mother over for a nickel.
Maintenance was pathetic, he would short us hours on pay, always cutting corners, lied nonstop, and was a huge jerk.
If you own trucks and equipment, you should also own a nice shop, and have good mechanics on staff maintaining them. If you don't, you are the problem!

I'm self employed now, and remember well that a bad boss is destructive to moral, and the business. So I make sure to treat my staff how I would want to be treated.
They are paid well, treated well, and it makes for a happy and productive work environment. My staff turn over is also very low, because they are treated well. So in the end I also win, by not constantly having to hire and train newbies, and they are loyal to me.

If a corporation has a huge staff turn over, or a lot of bad employees, the boss needs to look at a mirror to see why.

I tell people that most of it can be summed up as showing respect to everyone and all aspects of your life, both work and personal. Most things fall into place if you start out with respect: "due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others." Up and coming managers, it's really that simple.

Last edited:
The worst job I ever had was at a high level in New Jersey state government. I reported to a cabinet officer who was a crook. He wanted me to do things that were wrong and contrary to the principles of the office I was running. All of his "orders" were oral, passed through a secretary, and usually garbled. I would respond that I really did not understand what he wanted, and to please put it in writing. He never did, for obvious reasons.

Had I complied with the bizarre orders, I too would have been a crook. And getting nothing for being crooked.

my immediate boss have no management skills in my department; currently I work at loans/titles/banking; very poor organization skills; 3 guys left the place since he directly took it over about 2 years ago; i'm very next in the pipe to go out, of course when the time is right

How about owning equipment and trucks but only having one guy? I'm the lube tech, mobil mechanic,in shop mechanic,mobil welder etc!

Yesterday I was able to get a flatbed into the shop. I adjusted the brakes and greased the s- cams and slack adjusters before it was taken away from me. No time to check lights or tires .

I worked at a tire store that did not allow lunches and Saturdays you worked 8-12 free.

Worked at a muffler shop and was called every name in the book by the owner. He would send me upstairs to get a tailpipe. There was no organisation up there and if it took me more than 5 seconds to find it I got yelled at.

I worked at the radiator shop 18 years with no vacation whatsoever. I did get an extra day off for my wedding.

If you don't like your job, leave. If you need the money that bad, live with it. With that said, why don't 3 or 4 people get together and lease an apartment or buy a house. Then you can all work 2 days a week each and enjoy life.
I stayed with the job for several reasons.

One, my 'boss" was really out to destroy the functionality of my office. I really believed in the mission of the office, and did not want to see the crooks destroy it.

Two, I owed it to my employees to be a shield between the crooks in Trenton and their work. I had hired most of them, and felt obligated to them.

Three, an election was coming up, and the Governor was term limited. So I knew my crooked boss would finally leave. It was only a matter of time.

And four, I felt it was up to the new Administration to fix what he was trying to damage. I wanted to give them that opportunity.

When I was a teenager I stumbled on a job at a local bakery basically as a cashier at least to start. Pay was cash for something "reasonable" at the time maybe $7/hour and minimum wage was $5.25/hour. But the owner basically told me the way taxes work she would be deducting something like $20 or $40 a week up front (regardless of hours worked) and then something like $1/hour...

The worst job that I ever had proved to be the best in the long run. My employer sucked to say it mildly. He didn't care about his employees and used them like pawns. I learned a lot about what a rotten, dishonest, scheming scoundrel that he was. So I said to myself that if I ever went into business for myself and employed people that I would remember all this garbage and never do that to my employees.
Fast forward a few years and I am in business employing people and providing for their families. I always remembered the lessons I learned and treated everyone as if they were my family. As a result, people stayed with me for years and had no interest in leaving. I valued them and they me. I thank God for the lessons that I learned and the garbage I went through with my old horrible boss. It taught me how to treat people and it put me on the road to success.

I see you're from Canada. Most members on this forum, including me, are from the USA. For whatever reason, I feel Americans would rather moan about their co-workers than their employer.

I'm a UPS Teamster and there's a chance I'll be on strike next month. I know there are people against unions, but the founder James Casey of UPS approached the Teamsters to organize his employees. UPS was started in Seattle over 100 years ago and James didn't want a radical union unionizing his company, so he wanted the then conservative Teamsters to represent his employees.

In the USA our benefits have been a race to the bottom. There's little reason to stay loyal and with the same employer for years if you're going to get screwed.

Does Canada guarantee vacation time? It seems like every modern country does other than the USA.

3 or 4 friends or two couples buy a house or rent an apartment together. Any one of them alone make good money and could afford the rent or mortgage alone. Now if they each work just 2 days a week, they would bring in more than enough to pay the rent/mortgage and then have 5 days a week off to enjoy life.
Part-time work doesn't come with health care or retirement benefits in most cases.

Back