Automotive Lubricant Analysis

burbguy82

$100 site donor 2024
There are many different oil analyzers out there these days. I have used Blackstone, and Amsoil in the past to analyze some samples of UOA and VOA. The sentiment by some members here is 50/50, when it comes to accuracy and effectiveness.

What is the "best" and perhaps most accurate way for the typical consumer to have lubricants tested?

Is there another source for other than spectrographic analysis?

In my own experience blackstone, while reliable as a service, seems to want quite a bit of information, and seems to "get it wrong" when it comes to some things.

Interested in a better provider.

for the average person oil testing is a waste IMO, big rigs with $$$ engines that take several gallons is a different story

I've used Blackstone with good, repeatable results. Really, (as I understand it) the only downside to Blackstone labs is that they calculate fuel dilution instead of a direct test. The fuel dilution result may or may not be perfectly accurate.

for the average person oil testing is a waste IMO, big rigs with $$$ engines that take several gallons is a different story
I think it is a good way to monitor engine health. Especially when you plan on owning your vehicle for the long term.

It can help to determine how often your oil change interval should be, based on additive depletion, changes in oil viscosity, fuel dilution, etc., as well as monitoring for any coolant loss into engine oil due to failing head gaskets.

I don't rely on the oil life monitor for changing my oil, after determining that oil is degraded to the point that 5000 kilometer changes are suggested.

With the 3.5 Ford Ecoboost engine & twin turbo's and the known issues they have with cam chains & cam phaser issues, I want to use an oil, and Oil change interval that is giving me the best protection.

Back