Auto-Rx Rinse question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any additional benefit to extending the rinse phase beyond 2000 miles? If so how far? Should I change the filter if extending the rinse? My Taurus has 72k on it and I'm about 1500 miles into a rinse. I have about 2500 miles on my Trooper's rinse phase. I plan a second treatment of my Trooper(it has 124k). I'm dying to crack open those oil filters but not at the expense of denying my engines of the full benefit of an AutoRx treatment.

Here's another rinse question: would it be beneficial to switch to a thicker grade oil during the rinse phase? I've read stories of vehicles losing/burning some oil during the rinse phase and was wondering if the thicker oil helped reduce this. I'm 300 miles away from the rinse phase and currently using the 5w30 ST dino.

for a rinse, I see no reason why the cycle should be so long anyways... You could run 10 300 mile OCI or 1 3000 mile interval for the rinse and probably get the same results, provided the oil is not completely saturated. The important part is determining the appropriate exposure time for the clean phase(seems to vary from engine to engine). changing filters and topping off during the rinse will not have any negative impact on the results of a rinse phase with ARX. Going beyond 2000 miles on a rinse for many engines (especially dirty engines) could be bad because the oil may not be able to suspend as much crud as it is being asked to.. in which case, it would have been smarter to do 2 "rinse" phases (just short OCIs with dino) back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back