Auto-Rx observations and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little backstory first: acquired a 1994 BMW 318is with around 201k miles on it. No real maintenance records, except regular 7,500 mile oil change intervals jotted down on the owners manual from 0 miles to 80k miles and that's it. Seeing how there was a nice gap without paperwork, I figured I'd run a 2-step auto-rx round as peace of mind. Also running a bottle of Redline SL1 currently, again, for peace of mind.

Fast forward to now: Running the cleaning phase and 500 miles in with 10w30 PYB (with the 40% sludge-removal badge on it), I average 22-23 mpg city, 27-28 hwy on 3 tanks of gas. Do about 80%city/20%hwy. I know that it's not a lot of "data" go by, but for those who are curious I figured I'd post it. Now I've read that auto-rx will darken up the oil fairly quickly, but quite frankly the oil still looks like the day I poured it in. Nice, yellow and clear, at least on the dipstick. Down the valve cover, can't say that I see anything unusual, just clean and shinny valves, which looked shinny before I started auto-rx.

So my question to those who have used auto-rx is as follows: is the dipstick a good visual indication of any cleaning action? Oil looks fresh still and not dark. Or is it safe to assume this tired engine was actually well maintained for 201k miles?

Originally Posted By: electrolover
maybe the ARX isnt all its cracked to be. i would give kreen a shot

I agree, too many stories of arx not working, and the worst part is that you have to wait several OCIs to find this out
33.gif

Kreen and the Amsoil product have had some good reviews lately, maybe look into trying one of those.

Wow, product not working and evidence in the OP that there may be nothing to clean. Where is the hand slaps head emoticon.

FWIW, the oil gets dark (if it going to) during the rinse phase.

Last edited:
I used Arx as directed with no visual (or other) results. 2 years later I used one pint of MMO for 1K and got very noticeable results.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Excellent, thanks for the insight.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's a "facepalm" emoticon somewhere.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
maybe the ARX isnt all its cracked to be. i would give kreen a shot

I'd be willing to give it a go, after my auto-rx runs. The problem is that they don't ship to California.

It really depends, I would not diagnose sludge as an issue and the ARX and PYB are not working. You could have a clean engine so I think it is "jumping the gun" a little bit to say you have to try a bunch of different products. The engine may very well be clean and if there is not excessive consumption I would just keep using a quality oil spec'd for your vehicle and change at reasonable intervals.

Good luck!
Matt

Originally Posted By: trooper001
Down the valve cover, can't say that I see anything unusual, just clean and shinny valves, which looked shinny before I started auto-rx.

So my question to those who have used auto-rx is as follows: is the dipstick a good visual indication of any cleaning action? Oil looks fresh still and not dark. Or is it safe to assume this tired engine was actually well maintained for 201k miles?

You had it all there. The engine was well maintained therefore the valves look shinny before you started auto-rx.

+1

This was my experience. Oil got very dark very fast during the rinse phase, which made me think it was working.

To the OP- did you put the correct amount if Auto-RX in? Don't some beemers have large sumps?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

+1

This was my experience. Oil got very dark very fast during the rinse phase, which made me think it was working.

To the OP- did you put the correct amount if Auto-RX in? Don't some beemers have large sumps?

This particular bimmer has a 5 quart sump, so used 1 bottle. I'll report back with pictures of the filter once I finish the cleaning stage
smile.gif

A guy asks a question 500 miles into an AutoRX cycle and before I finished reading the OP I just knew he was going to get a bunch of "use Kreen" posts. I was not disappointed
smirk.gif

jeff

I never saw visual evidence working in my biggest ARX successes. I saw improved compression, MPGs, and reduced idle gas usage, but I use ARX to see performance/maintenance benefits more than cleaning/visual changes. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

OP With 200,000 + miles A-Rx is going to take you two clean and rinse cycles in order for the product to work as per instructioms. Last I checked that would total over 10,000 miles, that is unless the directions were revised since I used it. 500 miles into the clean phase is barely the start of the process. I noticed with the product a leak briefly stopped and then came back. The oil was no different in color, the filters no heavier at any point in the two clean rinse cycles. In my case I'm certain my use of MMO kept my engine clean. MMO or A-Rx couldn't stop my leak, YMMV. Check the oil additive section there are lots, and lots or A-Rx threads. If you are looking for fast results try something different, A-Rx is supposed to slowly clean an engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OP With 200,000 + miles A-Rx is going to take you two clean and rinse cycles in order for the product to work as per instructioms. --- If you are looking for fast results try something different, A-Rx is supposed to slowly clean an engine.

I plan to run, as per my original post, a 2-step run. I guess I should of said '2 runs' now that I look at it. In any event, I'm not looking for fast results, I'm looking for some peace of mind considering the miles and lack of solid records. But since I'm a first time user, I wanted to get some feedback and give initial observations. Seems like the real work starts during the rinse phase, which is good to know.

Halfway through the first rinse phase remove the filter and check the weight of it to see if it is heavier than filters you've removed in the past. If it is, cut it open and see what it trapped, replace it with a new filter and top off the oil. If it is light like mine were you can reuse the filter. Just make sure it isn't leaking, and top off the oil. There are plenty of people who added MMO to the oil during the rinse phase and claim to have gotten better results. That might be something to consider during the final rinse phase, especially if the final rinse ends up being during the winter months. Use the search feature, there's a ton of info on cleaning up an engine with A-Rx. JMO

Originally Posted By: badtlc

I never saw visual evidence working in my biggest ARX successes

I think alot of members who tried arx and were dissapointed would agree with what you have said.

Quote:
I saw improved compression, MPGs, and reduced idle gas usage, but I use ARX to see performance/maintenance benefits more than cleaning/visual changes. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I thought auto-rx was a metal cleaner, your post seems to tell me that auto-rx is much better at preventing deposits than it is in removing deposits.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

Quote:
I saw improved compression, MPGs, and reduced idle gas usage, but I use ARX to see performance/maintenance benefits more than cleaning/visual changes. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I thought auto-rx was a metal cleaner, your post seems to tell me that auto-rx is much better at preventing deposits than it is in removing deposits.

Please explain your logic - how preventing deposits from forming could cause a reversal of negative actions which have already taken place...

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

Nothing I said indicated anything about deposits. Cleaning isn't even the greatest benefit. What it does to rings, even clean rings, is what I have seen that amazes me and I use it in every OCI.

I'm running 1 bottle Auto-RX right now in the hopes that it'll stop a slow rear main seal leak. 400 miles away from finishing the "clean" phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back