Auto-Rx Effective on an Idling Engine???

Status
Not open for further replies.
boosted325is wrote >
> Oil pressure is constant at around 10psi

I really think this is a bad idea. For starters, oil pressure of 10psi is very low. You are certainly not doing this very effectively if you are going to have any results at all.

This motor is tired and your forced induction exposed the weaknesses. No amount of ARX will bring it back to life IMO.

Regards,

Rich

I have an update.

I have idled my car as described above for 65 hours and every other day I have driven app. 20 miles to fill up gas and have boosted multiple times during the drive. What is interesting to note is that even though I set my boost controller to 6 psi, it would only go as high as 4.5 psi by 4k rpm and then taper to 0 by 6k rpm. After reaching the 45 hour cleaning mark, the boost could only reach app. 3.6 psi and it would only do it at 4.5k rpms before tapering off again.

The really interesting part comes today when I went for a drive and during one of my boost runs, the gauge hit 5.5 psi and held it to 6k rpms! I thought something was wrong with my gauge because when I subsequently boosted again, it did not hold that much boost. It resorted to the usual pattern. Well, I kept on driving and after a few more boost runs, it held 5.8 psi to redline! The car felt alive again! But as soon as I slowed down and had to do a 3 pt turn, the boost never rose to that level again. Now, it doesn't hold more than 2.9 psi at 4.5k rpm and it tapers even quicker to 0.

Mind you that the valve cover gasket is leaking massive amounts of oil.

I am going to start the rinse phase now by idling it as I did for cleaning but for ~24 hours with interspersed driving and boosting.

My hunch is that the rings temporarily became unstuck as the sludge softened up resulting in temporarily restored compression. And I would venture to say that the subsequent lower boost levels reached after the multiple boost runs means that even more sludge is being cleaned off leaving less of the false seals to seal the ring packs.

What do you think guys?

This will really be an interesting experiment. Since it's never been done, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this treatment to the engine.

After this much time how does the engine idle? Any difference? Have you looked in the oil fill hole and seen anything in there? Would you be willing to cut a filter open?

The car idles like a dream now. And it drives so smoothly on part throttle. Everything is smoother.

I only see dark in the oil fill hole. I don't expect that to clean up anytime soon. I will cut my filter open when I change the oil and post pics for everyone.

BTW, the turbo has less than 200 miles on it.

Of course, you will want to do the second treatment, once you go 2000 miles, and change out the rinse oil and filter.

with regard to pressurizing your crankcase...

your rerouted the pcv to the intake side of the turbo. this is a good first step. you need to make sure the hose isnt collapsing though during high vacuum events (boost). is the hose big enough to flow the volume you need? the pcv might not be up to the job either (you are flowing more volume that it ever expected).

while its not legal, you could just try venting the crankcase to the atmosphere (through a filter) to see if this solves your oil leak. if it does, you need to find your problem in your pcv system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back