Auto Dimming MIrror worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JRed
Can't stand them. What's so hard about a regular mirror?

Exactly. I drive a LOT of rental cars, and I cant stand those things. I drive mainly small cars myself, and really dont have an issue with tall vehicles' lights if the mirrors are adjusted properly.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've got one on our new 2011 vehicle and I like it. The rear windows are VERY tinted though so I don't know how it would work (better or worst) of they were not.

Bill

This.

I've got it in the M5, it is excellent.

Yep, like most of you I despise the SUV or pickup driver that has the super bright normal setting headlights these days. I'm constantly blinded in my car as they come up from behind. My 300M had it, and it worked wonderfully. I notice that my older 3-series does not have it... likely because over there this isn't so much of a problem.

My WRX came with one, and I love it. I wouldn't have picked it on my own before experiencing it -- I'm usually not a fan of auto adjusting stuff like that. I never liked the manual adjusting mirror on my previous car -- when flipped it would get too dark for my tastes so I usually left it in the "daylight" position and just flipped it when someone's headlights were bugging me. This auto dimmer, though, adjust much more progressively and always seems to be set perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I have a factory unit in my Vic. To me, it does not react fast enough. I would rather have a manual one.

lol.

i've used them but don't mind manual ones.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I have a factory unit in my Vic. To me, it does not react fast enough. I would rather have a manual one.

lol.

i've used them but don't mind manual ones.

Seeing all the people that love theirs has me a bit confused. Im wondering if the tint on the rear window is affecting it. It takes forever to adjust and then its not enough. Ive been thinking about taking it apart and see how it ticks, maybe see if I cant adjust it to be more sensitive.

Both of our vehicles have them and I don't drive cars without them anymore. The MDX has one from the factory, and I put an auto-dimming Homelink mirror in the CR-V.

The MDX has a Donnelly mirror and the Honda has a Gentex mirror. Both react fast and work well.

I've equipped a couple cars with auto-dimming (and compass) mirrors from the junkyard; a quick and easy upgrade for just $10. Works quite well.

Originally Posted By: crw
I notice that my older 3-series does not have it... likely because over there this isn't so much of a problem.

I'm guessing it's because it's "older", not because it isn't a problem. Every late model BMW I've been in has this feature.

I think it's a great feature, well worth it. Far less intrusive than a manual dimmer and works just as well. They're the perfect example of a technology well designed and implemented - seamless in its integration to the point you don't even notice it.

i have never driven a car with auto-dimming mirror. Even my rentals all had manual dimming. Can somebody highlight the advantage of auto-dimming? With the manual dimming, I just leave in dimmed position during the night and flip it back when it is not pitch dark.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

i have never driven a car with auto-dimming mirror. Even my rentals all had manual dimming. Can somebody highlight the advantage of auto-dimming? With the manual dimming, I just leave in dimmed position during the night and flip it back when it is not pitch dark.

Advantages are that unlike a manual dimming mirror, the only part that gets darker is the headlights. It is still easy to actually see the positions of cars, and distance. Easier than a manual mirror anyway. It doesn't darken the whole mirror, it just dims the actual headlights. Plus as said, it's all automatic.

I have one as my vehicle seems to have everything (2007 Acura MDX technology). I don't think I would pay extra money for it but it works well for me.

I like auto-dimming mirrors.

My Camaro has one, but it's not like the ones nowadays. It has a light sensor circuit, sensitivity adjustment and a little electric motor that physically tilts the mirror up.

Our LS400 has the darkening kind. It even darkens the side view mirrors as well.

Originally Posted By: cchase

I'm guessing it's because it's "older", not because it isn't a problem. Every late model BMW I've been in has this feature.

Not my 2011, because I ordered it as such. Cant stand the things and can see better without... Plus it is really easy to do the flip.

I like the auto dimming feature in my 2011 F 150. Like Nick states, it just dims the headlights and you can still see everything behind you.
The driver side mirror dims as well.

Sure beats reaching up and flipping the mirror back and forth at night when there is quite a bit of traffic following you.

But to each his own.

Mine has the rear view and the side mirror auto dimming. I have to say, I like it very much. Definitely worth having.

I honestly don't get the love of this feature, it is really easy to just lift your finger and flip the dim lever.

Not to mention that the auto junk always comes in an options package and it adds significant cost to the car.

Lastly it is something else to break.

Sorry but people have just become so lazy anymore. I'm waiting for the automatic butt wiper to become mass marketed.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: 91344George
I honestly don't get the love of this feature, it is really easy to just lift your finger and flip the dim lever.

Not to mention that the auto junk always comes in an options package and it adds significant cost to the car.

Lastly it is something else to break.

Sorry but people have just become so lazy anymore. I'm waiting for the automatic butt wiper to become mass marketed.
48.gif

It does a better job than a manual dimmer does. A normal dimmer makes it impossible to see anything in the rearview except headlights. the electrochromatic mirrors dim the lights, while still allowing you to see.

Also, I've never ever heard of one of these breaking. They aren't complicated. Note my cruze doesn't have it, and I miss it.

I regularly drive a car with auto dimming rear and side mirrors (my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero) and without (2006 Accord EX). As others have said, the auto dimmers not only are easier to use (ie require no manual intervention) they are more effective at the intended task than the manual ones. They reduce distracting glare while maintaining visibility through the mirrors. It's especially nice having the side mirrors work this way as well.

Comments about this being a laziness feature or whatever sound awfully silly to me. You guys still get up and walk to the TV to change channels?
grin.gif

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back