Auto detailing and age

If you're anything like me, you do all of your own detailing because you're picky about your vehicles. However, I'm turning 65 this month, and I no longer have the stamina I once had, even though I exercise on a regular basis. Detailing my CX-9 is about a 10-12 hour job for me, if I want to get it all done in one day. I start by washing the vehicle, then I do the interior, windows inside and out, tire dressing, wax, and then I use a restoration product on the black plastic around the bottom of the vehicle. I'm thinking about spreading this process out over a two day period so I'm not killing myself. How do you older gents deal with this issue?

I feel your pain. Pace yourself, be patient and take your time. I look at it this way, if I'm not getting paid when I complete the project I can take my time doing it. I can also pick and chose when I want to take on a project.

Common issue I'm dealing with, but add in that I'm dealing with chronic pain and have been since the 90's coems and goes. So, what I do is what I can reach or handle and allow others to do the rest. For instance this one car wash has been good to all our cars since they installed the wash at the 711. I keep the wash hidden because it word gets out.. I'll be able to detail the exterior of the van while waiting for others in the wash. Just stick to a routine, do what you can and once or twice a year or on special occasions have someone professionally clean the car. My issue now is that because we're still working on the van, I need someone to hit the interior for us before Sept.

Last edited:
I'm always looking for the most efficient wash process possible because as much as I like to keep my cars factory clean, it is a time-consuming process. It takes me a solid hour or so (depending on how OCD I am in the moment lol) to clean my truck.

My process when not trying new products is the following:

Exterior:
Wheels - APC's work ok but dedicated wheel cleaners seem to work better
Pre-soak entire vehicle (this can be skipped)
Wash (2BM although not necessary IMO)
Air dry if the hydrophobics allow for it
Apply topper if you want

Interior:
vaccum
ONR/interior detailer wipe down

Some products that may help you speed up the process are Bilt Hamber Touchless and Gyeon Wet Coat or equivalent. If you have a foam cannon or IK Pro Foamer or even a Marolex Sprayer this stuff cleans exceptionally well. You then follow up with wash and apply Wet Coat.

Have you considered Rinseless Wash products like ONR?

I have done it over two days. After the exterior wash and dry I apply the trim protectant first before any treatment on the paint itself.

The next day I do the seats and all the soft touch interior. I Gummi Pflege the seals everywhere. I also clean the door sills and the door bottoms and sides with a dampened cloth followed by Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer which I have a bottle of. The engine bay plastics get wiped with the trim protectant. Vacuuming the carpets too. I also clean the window inside. This is an annual thing for me.

One thing I left out - if you use a product like Can Coat or any product that beads very well you can dry the car in minutes with air. That also prevents you from touching the paint as often. The downside is you have to use a leaf blower.

I'm always looking for the most efficient wash process possible because as much as I like to keep my cars factory clean, it is a time-consuming process. It takes me a solid hour or so (depending on how OCD I am in the moment lol) to clean my truck.

My process when not trying new products is the following:

Exterior:
Wheels - APC's work ok but dedicated wheel cleaners seem to work better
Pre-soak entire vehicle (this can be skipped)
Wash (2BM although not necessary IMO)
Air dry if the hydrophobics allow for it
Apply topper if you want

Interior:
vaccum
ONR/interior detailer wipe down

Some products that may help you speed up the process are Bilt Hamber Touchless and Gyeon Wet Coat or equivalent. If you have a foam cannon or IK Pro Foamer or even a Marolex Sprayer this stuff cleans exceptionally well. You then follow up with wash and apply Wet Coat.

Have you considered Rinseless Wash products like ONR?

I haven't because when I've tried no-touch products in the past, my results have always been that they don't work as well as washing by hand...

I have done it over two days. After the exterior wash and dry I apply the trim protectant first before any treatment on the paint itself.

The next day I do the seats and all the soft touch interior. I Gummi Pflege the seals everywhere. I also clean the door sills and the door bottoms and sides with a dampened cloth followed by Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer which I have a bottle of. The engine bay plastics get wiped with the trim protectant. Vacuuming the carpets too. I also clean the window inside. This is an annual thing for me.
I usually do ours every spring (to get rid of all of the winter crud), and again in the fall, both times applying wax...

I've done that, spread it over two days. Exterior wash and detail on one day, then the interior clean and detail another day. Sometimes I'll spread it over three days, exterior, interior, then a week later a wash and address tires and wheels at that time.

Remember nothing good comes from getting old, but the other option is not good at all. ;)

If you're anything like me, you do all of your own detailing because you're picky about your vehicles. However, I'm turning 65 this month, and I no longer have the stamina I once had, even though I exercise on a regular basis. Detailing my CX-9 is about a 10-12 hour job for me, if I want to get it all done in one day. I start by washing the vehicle, then I do the interior, windows inside and out, tire dressing, wax, and then I use a restoration product on the black plastic around the bottom of the vehicle. I'm thinking about spreading this process out over a two day period so I'm not killing myself. How do you older gents deal with this issue?
I'm older than you and I do it sections at a time. I'll wash the whole car with a foam canon from Amazon. I'll dry it and am done for that day. Next day I'll do the hood and trunk and maybe the top. It's in a garage. Next day I will use a quick detailer or duster to clean the sides and detail them. After a good polishing and coating of whatever, I just use a ceramic quick detailer after every wash. It seems to really maintain the protective coating. Seems to work really well.

One thing I left out - if you use a product like Can Coat or any product that beads very well you can dry the car in minutes with air. That also prevents you from touching the paint as often. The downside is you have to use a leaf blower.
I use one of those turbo handheld car dryers then minimal drying with a twisted microfiber drying towel.

I usually do ours every spring (to get rid of all of the winter crud), and again in the fall, both times applying wax...
The only one that actually cleans is Bilt Hamber Touchless and Autofoam. However, you still need to do a hand wash to get the remaining 10% or so clean.

Being you still have to do a hand wash, I'm not entirely sold on the pre-wash/pre-soaks. Removes a substantial amount of dirt which helps from scratching the paint, but it does add another step.

From the age of 17 to 25 my cars always used to be immaculate. Even when I was droving 500+ miles a week, my car would be cleaned in and out every week without fail.

Then kids happened. They're 3 and 5 now. Between not having any time to do any kind of maintenance on the cars because of the kids and the kids making extra mess in our cars, it really does upset me at times. I'm lucky if I can clean my car every 6 to 8 weeks and even then it's either the inside or outside.

I've pretty much said goodbye to actual polishing. I still have my PorterCable, but it's sitting on the shelf.

I'm right behind you age wise.. I tackle those jobs in pieces now.. I can do the outside one day, the tires can be done separately... same for interior... do it when I feel like it.. learn EZ lazy man techniques like using a leaf blower on the inside instead of vacuuming or drying the car with a squeegee instead of using towels...
I also know I do best if I get out of bed and get started right away, because if I wait I wont ever get going

for instance i had to fix the kitchen sink today.. that was the first thing I did after sucking down some coffee.. I know if I would have waited I wouldn't get it done

Back