ATT: Pure One fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who like the Pure One oil filters, the Advance Auto Parts chain has them on sale for ~$1 off through 9/28/02. Cuts price from $6 to $5 in my area($4.94). If you can buy 'em cheaper, great! If not, might want to pick up a few.

FWIW: Maybe my thumb is just weak today, but the case on the filter I bought today(PL 14670), when given the "thumb test", definitely felt stiffer than the case on the used one awaiting surgery in the carport closet. Mebbe this changes a little from batch to batch?
dunno.gif

Around here, Meijer has Pure Ones for $5 as an everyday price. ....just a heads up for anyone unaware of this that may be paying the typical ~$6 in the US for these.

Stuart, regular hardware store price around here is $4.99. GIJoes has them on sale occassionally for $4.

I'm just now switching from the PL14670 to PL 30001. The 40017 looks best, if it'll fit. And if you can find it.

code:

Filter Size Bypass PSI Flow GPM

14670 3.65" x 3.79" 12-15PSI 3

30001 3.78" x 5.24" 8-11 4

40017 3.69" x 7.12" 7-9 7

All have anti-drainback valves. Speaking of which, the one I bought last night had a misaligned valve. Looked like the rubber had been molded to one side which prevented it from sealing. Found a couple others like this in the store but exchanged for one that's good.

David

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
All have anti-drainback valves. Speaking of which, the one I bought last night had a misaligned valve. Looked like the rubber had been molded to one side which prevented it from sealing. Found a couple others like this in the store but exchanged for one that's good.

David

Wow, that sounds like horrible quality control. I would be worried about the mistakes inside the filter that I couldn't see.

OneQuartLow, I appreciate the cross ref's above. In my application, lenghth is *Critical*. After the 95 model year, Chrysler changed the Neons from a Fram PH-16/Purolator L14670/AC PF-13 size to the little teacup Fram 3614/AC PF 53. Length on smaller filter is only ~1/4" shorter, but the smaller diameter tucks in with more "room to spare" right behind the oil pan. So, I'm really just reverting to the original filter size for the first Neons. Even just 1/2" longer than the L14670 is asking for trouble, I fear.

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
OneQuartLow- Can you tell me what the flow rate and bypass valve specs are for the PL24651? I'm curious as to how it compares to the PL30001. Thanks!
tongue.gif

Glen,

I have to defer to Patman or one of the other board members who have catalogs. My only access to the information is here or parts stores. Of course I can check next time I'm shopping, but these guys have ready access.

David

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
Wow, that sounds like horrible quality control. I would be worried about the mistakes inside the filter that I couldn't see.

I would be too, but these are generally very good. It looked like they had a spot problem with manufacturing of the rubber-over-metal seal.

It probably isn't wise to just buy any of these low-cost parts without some kind of common-sense inspection. At the prices they charge I expect mistakes.

quote:

OneQuartLow, I appreciate the cross ref's above. In my application, lenghth is *Critical*. After the 95 model year, Chrysler changed

Stuart, I know what you mean. I have two vehicles with different engines that are both spec'd for the 14670. The 5.2L V8 barely has room for another 1/2 inch. The 4.0L inline 6 could use an 18 inch filter, if I weren't worried about the extra weight fatiguing and breaking things.

All the data you need is around page 1038 of the 2002 catalog. I had zero luck getting a catalog from Purolator so I have to take pen & paper to stores myself.
dunno.gif

David

OneQuartLow- Can you tell me what the flow rate and bypass valve specs are for the PL24651? I'm curious as to how it compares to the PL30001. Thanks!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
tongue.gif

24651 is 3.67 by 3.58, and has a 14-16psi relief valve plus an antidrainback. For some reason no GPM flow rating is given.

30001 is 3.78 by 5.24 has an 8-11 psi relief plus an ADB valve. It flows 4GPM.

These filters are not interchangeable though. The 24651 has a connection size of M22x1.5" while the 30001 is 3/4-16" UNF-2B (whatever that means)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

... The 24651 has a connection size of M22x1.5" while the 30001 is 3/4-16" UNF-2B (whatever that means)

Useless trivia alert:

UNF is the Unified National fine thread spec. UNC would be course. They're the traditional hardware threads we all love. There are tons of other standards, including more options within a series (say, UNEF for aerospace). Britain had their own (BSx,BAx,etc.) but has mostly converted to ISO metric.

Anyway, 2B is the class & orientation. Roughtly, class 1 = crude, 3 = NASA. B means female, A male.

For a 3/4" UNF 2B fastener, the threads must be (digging out shop chart):
16TPI, .0625 pitch, .6823 root diameter, thread angle 60*.

I knew I could contribute _something_ today!
wink.gif

David (closet SAE handbook salesman)

Patman,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am aware they do not interchange, but I was looking for a larger remote mounted filter to replace the OEM metric filter, but with similar specs. There seems to be quite a bit of difference in the bypass valve settings, though.

Patman,
Can you tell me of a PureOne filter larger than the PL24651 that would interchange for my application. I like this filter, but would like to find another PureOne filter that is lager that would work. I use it on a 2001 Ford V-10.

From looking up the numbers above, I don't believe there was a longer filter with the same bypass pressure as the 24651, although I'll take a second look at the catalog tonight when I get home.

quote:

Originally posted by Jakebrake:
Patman,
Can you tell me of a PureOne filter larger than the PL24651 that would interchange for my application. I like this filter, but would like to find another PureOne filter that is lager that would work. I use it on a 2001 Ford V-10.

Ford 4.6l and 5.4l V8's in the trucks also use the PL24651, and as far as I know, there is no larger filter to be had in that configuration. Threads are like a 22m x 1.5 or something like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
After the 95 model year, Chrysler changed the Neons from a Fram PH-16/Purolator L14670/AC PF-13 size to the little teacup Fram 3614/AC PF 53. Length on smaller filter is only ~1/4" shorter, but the smaller diameter tucks in with more "room to spare" right behind the oil pan.

Stuart, how much (diametrical?) clearance is there to the oil pan & other parts when using the larger PF13 on your Neon? I've got a similar situation on my 2 Saabs, where the newer one uses the PF53. The filter's in a different location, but I can spin on the PF13 from my older Saab & it clears everything & doesn't extend below the car. Is there a minimum distance the filter should be to the pan or other non-moving parts for air-flow considerations? Or other reasons?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, I've never measured the clearance between the larger filter & the "recess" in the aluminum oil pan, but you can stick a finger between them-not much else, though. As far as air flow & a min distance, etc, if it fits & clears, I wouldn't worry about it. No reason I can see not to get the benefits of the extra filter media in the larger diameter filter.

If the SAAB's use that little PF-53/PH-3614 size, & the larger size fits, I wonder what they use in Sweden?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back