ATF spin on filter vs Magnefine inline filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was surprised to find out that my newly bought used 2001 Elantra has a spin on ATF filter. I know they are better than nothing but are they any good compared to the inline Magnefine filters? I was wondering why only a few models of the Elantra have them. I know that some of the 2003 models and later in the same generation got rid of the spin on filter.

Spin on Filter

Will installing a inline filter be overkill?
Thanks

Last edited:
It might be but to make that evaluation, you'd need to know the specs of the existing filter. More than likely, you are good with the factory filter. Were it me in this situation, I would thoroughly research the specs for this filter and see about finding an improved replacement. More than likely, the spin on is only slightly more efficient than the filter within the Magnefine. The advantage the spin on filter has over the Magnefine is contaminant capacity. The advantage the Magnefine has is the magnet. The magnet is the efficiency equalizer because some 50 percent of the metallic contaminants in ATF are ferrous and caught by the magnet.

Get one or two junk hard drives, open them up and get the neodymium magnets inside. Stick these magnets on the outside of your spin on filter, and you'll improve its ability to catch ferrous wear particles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: berniedd
Get one or two junk hard drives, open them up and get the neodymium magnets inside. Stick these magnets on the outside of your spin on filter, and you'll improve its ability to catch ferrous wear particles.

I would sure like to see a cut open photo of the filter if you do this.

The Magnefine has the magnet right in the flow of the ATF. Mine always is covered with an iron paste. Not much in the media section of the filter. I have another I will be changing out soon, so another one, different transmission to compare.

Last edited:
The AT spin on filter on my Subaru was a full size filter. The filter was, I believe, a 5u filter which is better than the Magnafine at that time. I'd pick a good AT spin-on filter everytime over a Magnafine. Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

As for the Rare Earth Magnets, I actually have a couple small ones on the filter already.

I'm going to install the inline filters on my other cars then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back