Astrophysicist fun fact

We went to see Professor Neil deGrasse Tyson last night in San Jose. While his 2 hour talk was not meant to be pure Science, it was really interesting and he is funny!
Did you know there are (rough numbers) 8,000,000,000 people in the world and maybe 8,000 Astrophysicists?
The arithmetic (8B / 8K) tells us that's like 1 in 1M in our world are Astrophysicists.
So heck, we on BITOG have @Astro14 which is pretty cool in my book! We ROCK!

To be fair, I majored in Astrophysics - I am not an astrophysicist by trade.

I still find the topics in astrophysics to be fascinating, and part of the reason I still subscribe to “Scientific American” is to keep up on the current work, new discoveries, and changes in astrophysics.

I still find the topics in astrophysics to be fascinating, and part of the reason I still subscribe to “Scientific American” is to keep up on the current work, new discoveries, and changes in astrophysics.
How do I contact the other versions of myself in other universe's (sp?)?

I've already spent much of my adult life reading and thinking about this stuff and in another life, I'd have formal training at the graduate level, and make a living doing it. The discipline really brings ALL of the science I care about together - physics, chemistry, biology, etc under one embrella.

How do I contact the other versions of myself in other universe's (sp?)?
There are a couple of versions of the "multiverse". One type is derived from string theory where one end of the strings that make up everything are attached to a "brane" that localizes those strings to our universe. In this model, the universes that make up the multiverse are mapped over each other in the same volume of space, and they have the same common starting point, although strings in one universe do not have access to strings in another universe. The other major theory of the multiverse states there are other universes "outside" the bounds of our universe. Again, you could never have access to these other universes, not just because of distance, but because you can never reach "the edge" of our universe. If you go far enough in one direction you just return to where you started. This is partly born out of the inflation theory and it's hard to wrap your brain around this but the universe is NOT some volume of space expanding into some other volume of space. All this is IS our universe from our reference frame. There is no "edge" - all points in all areas of space are simply getting farther and farther from all other points in all directions. There is no "center" of the universe either. All points in space have an equal volume of space around them in all directions getting farther away from that point in all directions.

We went to see Professor Neil deGrasse Tyson last night in San Jose. While his 2 hour talk was not meant to be pure Science, it was really interesting and he is funny!
Did you know there are (rough numbers) 8,000,000,000 people in the world and maybe 8,000 Astrophysicists?
The arithmetic (8B / 8K) tells us that's like 1 in 1M in our world are Astrophysicists.
So heck, we on BITOG have @Astro14 which is pretty cool in my book! We ROCK!
Reading these facts reminds me of what comedian Charlie Prose once said.

Scientists have found that one out of every three people is dumb.
So, look at the person on your left,
Then look at the person on your right.
If they both look smart,,,😱😜

Back