Asphalt driveway crack filler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to find a good consumer available product that stays black-as well as doing a good job. What I've tried before has all turned gray over time in the weather-thanks

Agreed. Used this on a huge crack in my drive last year and it has held up well. Kind of a PITA to roll down and work into the crack, but it fills nicely after being heated up.

We're on our second home with a large asphalt driveway, and I too have tried just about product available off the shelf locally. I've tried thick liquid products, trowel grade products and calk.

Every one of them has been hit/miss. Cracks are typically going to move (why the crack is there in the first place), thus cracking the product you'er attempting to fill it with.

As Donald said above, something flexible and rubberized will hold up best. That's been my experience anyway.

Hello !

Consumer products will hard be equal to industrial ones, but even industrial products don't always work well. I would try PMA (polymer modified asphalt) and in particular an asphalt modified with DuPont Elvaloy or with some SBS. Preferable grades are PG 58-34 or 64-34 or at least 58-28 or 64-28 which should flow easier and fill in the cracks better. I believe you don't need products of higher hot temperature grades normally used in road industry for cracks (mastic). Viscosity with PMB is always high, so, naturally, it should be hot (150-160C) during use. PMA with Elvaloy is better.

Last edited:
Make a friend in the local highway administration or transportation authority and see if they can get you a bag or two of cold patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back