Arguing over a trucks weight. Experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping you guys can add some sanity back to me. I am arguing with a master mechanic that the weight of my 1994 Chevy K1500, and all vehicles in general, when unloaded (no cargo) is the CURB WEIGHT, and that when fully loaded with cargo to it's maximum safe carrying limit is the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING. Everything I have ever read and taught was this.

He is arguing that the truck weighs 6500 pounds just sitting there with nothing in it, saying the GVWR is what it weighs, while I am arguing it weighs about ~4200 just sitting there. I have told him his number is based on the curb weight plus the load carrying capacity (1/2 ton) of the vehicle (GVWR), but he continues to argue with me. It seems like the only way I am going to be able to prove it is take it to a truck scale and have it weighed.

So...who is right - me or him?

from Edmunds.com:
Measurements
Length 194.0 in.
Maximum towing capacity 4500 lbs.
Curb weight 4138 lbs.
Gross weight 6100 lbs.
Ground clearance 8.6 in.

Originally Posted by chrisf8657
I'm hoping you guys can add some sanity back to me. I am arguing with a master mechanic that the weight of my 1994 Chevy K1500, and all vehicles in general, when unloaded (no cargo) is the CURB WEIGHT, and that when fully loaded with cargo to it's maximum safe carrying limit is the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING. Everything I have ever read and taught was this.
He is arguing that the truck weighs 6500 pounds just sitting there with nothing in it, saying the GVWR is what it weighs, while I am arguing it weighs about ~4200 just sitting there. I have told him his number is based on the curb weight plus the load carrying capacity (1/2 ton) of the vehicle (GVWR), but he continues to argue with me. It seems like the only way I am going to be able to prove it is take it to a truck scale and have it weighed.
So...who is right - me or him?

You are ! The GVWR is the weight the truck can pull/carry including passengers and fuel

GVWR is the weight the frame and components are designed to safely carry. You are correct and you need to find a new mechanic lol.

You are correct and it has been that way ever since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. Your mechanic is dead wrong.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
GVWR is the weight the frame and components are designed to safely carry. You are correct and you need to find a new mechanic lol.

This.

Wow, sorry to see such a poorly informed "mechanic".

As stated above, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum total amount of everything fully loaded. You can be fined if you exceed it, and you may be liable in a traffic accident if you exceed it.

Many folks in my biz get caught running those 3/4 ton vans in an accident and have been put right out of business because they were overloaded.

Originally Posted by chrisf8657
It seems like the only way I am going to be able to prove it is take it to a truck scale and have it weighed.

I'd do it so you can rub it in his face where his head will be blown off from knowing the real definition.

Commercial trucks also display TARE (unladen or curb) and GVWR weight on the side of the tractor/trailer. Have him explain that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
The answers you get here will not convince him. Get the truck weighed. My local landfill lets me weigh my cars for free. Scott

I have a moving company here on a major road that is also free. Many drag strips set up a scale for a big meet.

Also, its always interesting to drive over the scale at the local landfill and see the actual weight (subtract your body weight of course).

Not all Mechanics have a clue. The one you're arguing with is one of those. Why waste your time?

And as mentioned, I'd suggest finding another Mechanic.

Have it weighed and show him the slip. /discussion. And if he won't believe you then, time to go someplace else for your service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back