Are you a Harbor Freight junkie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you frequent HF? Do you like buying your tools there or somewhere else?

I have bought some things there but have only been there maybe 3 times.

I havent bought from them online in years due to every time I placed an order my credit card info was compromised.I blame their lack of security or a rogue employee...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
I personally stopped shopping with them after seeing: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000023238&cycle=2016

Why did you go there on my post?

His post was legit. They don't jive with his views so he goes elsewhere.
You did ask and he answered in detail but stopped short of typing a response
that would've been inappropriate.

Looks good.
Along with their low prices on tools one needs only occasionally, what's not to like?

I use HF for tools I rarely use and for basic tools to have at offsite locations.
At home I have a 1/4" torque wrench and a long handle 1/2" flex head ratchet.
I have basic sets (socket wrench, etc) at my Dad's house and our house in Petaluma (90 miles north of Los Gatos, CA).

Most of my home stuff is Snap-On, which I inherited from my older brother who had a shop in Santa Cruz, CA.
He passed away at 44 back in 1996 from cancer.
I have added a few things from Snap-On, like a new long handle 3/8" flex head ratchet.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

I stopped going. I'll buy something I don't need. Overall, I'm very happy with my HF tools.

Why don't we get the money out of politics.

Lists of contributions to other parties can be assembled as well.

Also, don't bet your life on one website being complete in their "reporting".

I only went in one for the first time two weeks ago. Bought a floor jack. Wasn't really impressed with the quality of most of the other stuff in there but I did walk through and take a mental inventory in case I need something once.
After seeing that opensecrets site I'll be less likely to go back.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Why don't we get the money out of politics.

As though that's going to happen any time before the sun burns out.
Jesse Unruh said it best.

I used to go there but I quit. Cal Ranch, HD, Lowes and Walmart are real close to HF. If I want cheap and Walmart has it I go there. Quality is anywhere but HFT. I've been bit too many times from HFT.

It's an interesting place to walk around at. A few things they carry are good, like super lube and their aluminum jacks.

Some stuff we the people have driven completely offshore (grease guns come to mind) so I'd suspect might as well should shop in price, may be there, may be who knows where else.

But if there's a reasonable US-made alternative, that's what I'll spend some more money for.

I probably own maybe 1/2 dozen things from HF. I bought a floor jack, a 1/2 inch breaker bar, a brake bleeder and a plastic pump for gear oil. They do have good prices on work gloves too. Been about 2-3 years since I have been in HF though. Some tools are just fine for a shadetree weekend DIYer. They have decent tools for the price, they are nowhere the same quality as Matco,Snapon or Craftsmen and HF does not claim to be. They are a discount tool store... nothing more.

Oddly, when HF first rolled into the area in the 1990's I did purchase a decent amount of tools - from bit set for Dremel tool to hammers to huge socket set. I even used the sale dealio and coupon to get the 20 ton press under $200. Then they started adding more stores, but I noticed I bought less and less over the years. And they added even more stores. Bellingham, now one in Monroe - closest ever to a store, which, again - now oddly I have actually never been inside.

I didn't leave HF, HF left me.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
I personally stopped shopping with them after seeing: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000023238&cycle=2016

I shop there. Good value for the home mechanic; some are junk but many work great. I'm not surprised to see this given the fact they wanted to ban firearms in their stores at one point. I will be attempting to use other sources for hand tools from now on. Maybe Husky, Kobalt or Tetkon (that are now stocked at local Meijer's)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back