Are there any xxW-30 CI-4+ diesel oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LargeCarMan- That's good advice...and a position I didn't consider.

I'm sure I could find major brand dino PCMO 5W-30 around here, and just order some SX-UP from MolaKule to boost the adds in it.

Then I'd have the best of both worlds...good flow, and proper additive levels for this older 460...

Thanks for the advice, I think it's some I may follow!

Chuck

Mystik 10w-30 is a full diesel and gasoline oil,and is a mineral base,,very good stuff,though basic,but well worth the notice,,watch the new Schaeffers coming out soon also,,,,BL

snoboy- Thanks for the links!

That's the first 10W-30 listed that officially meets CI-4+...too bad it's not anywhere close to me.
frown.gif

Anyways, thanks for the link! Hopefully it'll help someone else out!

Chuck

You are right there next to WM in O'Fallon. They have (well did have a month ago) Rotella 10-30. You aren't far from Rural King in Litchfield. I'm pretty sure they carry Mystik. Check out Jerseyville Farm and Home supply too. Cross Oil In Saint Louis is a good source for lots of different manufacturers, and they have a good sales staff to help you find what you are looking for.

beanoil- Actually, I need to update my profile...I'm up in Park Forest, IL now...living with the Parental Units and saving for a house.

Norm Olt- I can't remember exactly, but I looked into it and the CI-4+ spec. was better for a gasser than the CI-4 spec.

I'm swamped at work and at home, so probably won't have time to go dig up the threads I was looking at...probably wouldn't be too hard to dig up though.

Chuck

Why does an early (actually, a mid-early) 460 gas engine require the newest, latest (BESTEST!?!) diesel-spec oil, anyway?

What is the difference between a CH-4 and a CI-4+ oil to a gas motor? If I purchased a new diesel truck I might be concerned about the HDEO's spec, but...

Just askin'...

Cheers!

Just to clear any misunderstanding up, the other lube manufacturers (other than Valvoline that I could find) do have CI-4 rated xxW-30 lubes...just not the CI-4+ I was looking for.

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
chucky2 use Chevron Delo straight 30 wt. As far as diesel oils go...the trend is going away from zddp additives that help old engines like the 460 live. Heck, I would just use a 10-40 in that 460? If you want a good additive for the engine... look at Speciality Formulations additives for older engines from MolaKule.

That engine should live well on a good SL oil, but with the above additive....live longer.

My old 72 F350 HUGE BLOCK lasted forever, I never treated it as I would today. Seems I abused it and drove 1/1.5k miles a week back then and hated brake changes more than a root canal. But I changed oil religously every 3-4-5k Miles. That motor was tuff, and I'd never advise abusing ANY motor like I did it. I NEVERE added a drop of oil between my extended oil changes (see abuse) but she ran and ran. 10 MPG was pretty much the norm, but I couldn't brake it. I

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
chucky2 use Chevron Delo straight 30 wt. As far as diesel oils go...the trend is going away from zddp additives that help old engines like the 460 live. Heck, I would just use a 10-40 in that 460? If you want a good additive for the engine... look at Speciality Formulations additives for older engines from MolaKule.

That engine should live well on a good SL oil, but with the above additive....live longer.

My old 72 F350 HUGE BLOCK lasted forever, I never treated it as I would today. Seems I abused it and drove 1/1.5k miles a week back then and hated brake changes more than a root canal. But I changed oil religously every 3-4-5k Miles. That motor was tuff, and I'd never advise abusing ANY motor like I did it. I NEVERE added a drop of oil between my extended oil changes (see abuse) but she ran and ran. 10 MPG was pretty much the norm, but I couldn't brake it. I
hauled huge trailors of wood and/or rock nearly every week. I loved laying rock, I abused that truck with no conscience. I ran cheap oil, whatever, Fram filters, cheapest gas, and torqued her many times each day. One day I got gas as a truck unloaded (no filter on fuel), and she started spitting and 4mpg, I'd fouled a valve.
Had heads pulled, seats cleaned and drove/abused her for another 100-150k miles.
These engines were thirsty, but dependable. Built for that purpose. 327,000 miles of terrible abuse, cheap oil changed many miles too late. Carrying way too much weight everyday, pulling way too many trucks outa mud, abused (had the 4x granny tranny), she was built better than a tank. I really miss her (except she drove like a TRUCK). I love my truck and my porsche, but they'd fall short of abuse your truck could handle. HTH, That is a working truck, not like ours today. I doubt you could EVER wear it out with minimal repairs. At 300,000 miles

Geez, At 300,000 miles mine was great, enough to cover many states. A tire failure left me stranded, never other stuff.
These were tanks,
mine did'nt care about oil grades/ manufacturers. It just wanted gas, plenty of gas. But better oil would help.

I am also looking to use diesel oil in my car. It a 96 Subaru legacy with nearly 200k miles and runs great.
grin.gif

Is there a primer on diesel oils and there use in gas motors. What are all these diesel oil ratings and how to they relate to gas power car use?

All I really understand about diesel oil is it has more detergents so it should keep old cars free of sludge.

I hear Schaeffer makes a good product. They have 5w-30 and even a 5w-20. I just don't see anything 0w-xx. Now if I can find a retailer that will give me a price list via email.

I also heard of Chevron Supreme 0w-30 it looks like a good thin 0w-30. I just don't know where to find this oil.

SirEager- I've seen a good number of threads on using diesel lubes in gassers...I'd advise just doing a search and reading some opinions on it.

My view - not necessairly fact - is that, compared to PCMO's, the HDEO's are built to hold more soot (so it reasons to me they can hold more cr@p), have more "cleaning" ability (usually what looks to me like high Calcium adds), and have higher basic AW adds, such as ZDDP (take a look at Zn and P in HDEO VOA's and compare to Zn and P levels in PCMO's).

Supposedly, the HDEO's and their higher basic add levels are better for these older V-8's....plus, a lot of the HDEO's are thicker...and apperantly the older V-8's like a thicker oil better.

I still do wonder however if getting a 5W-30 PCMO which is going to have really good cold flow properties compared to a xxW-30 HDEO (let alone a xxW-40 HDEO) and adding something like MolaKule's SX-UP wouldn't be the way to go.

If that stuff raised the @ 100C viscosity up a little, and boosted the add level sufficiently, that may be the best of both worlds right there.

Decisions, Decisions....

Chuck

Chuck,

I don't like the idea of engine flushes. Products like Auto-RX work way to fast, besides most oil additives scare me. I just have a 2.2L H4(ej22e) in my Subaru with nearly 200k on it. This motor runs great and uses little to no oil. I got this car used I want to clean some of the old sludge out. This is why I'm looking at HDEOs, but most of the 0w-30's or thinner oils are marketed in Canada where the temps are lower.
pat.gif

Maybe I'm asking for too much, a thin oil with great cold flow that can handle extra cr@p. Save for scheafer's 7000 blends there are few thin dual rated CI-4/SL HDEO, but then that product lacks great cold pumping.
thumbsdown.gif

SirEager- I don't like the idea of the quickie engine flushes either, but I'd say a cleaner taking many thousands of miles to work sounds pretty safe to me...and that is why I like the Auto-RX option. I definitely wouldn't say Auto-RX works fast ...

The lack of great pumpability is a concern for me also, as I'm in the Chicago, IL area...so it for sure can get pretty cold here.

Short of some of the harder to find HDEO's like Esso XD-3 or whatever it's called, we might be stuck waiting to see what the new CJ-4's coming to market - I think - this Oct. will be like.

I thought I saw somewhere that Terry posted that it's possible that we may see some really good lubes that can be used in gassers come out of the CJ-4 crowd...

Chuck

Since we are talking about diesel 10W30 oils, do we know for a fact that these oils have the same additive package as their bigger brothers (15W40)?
I could not locate a single VOA on 10W30.

friendly_jacek- I've seen a VOA on a 10W-30 HEDO on here before, but cannot remember when it was; it was a while ago though, maybe back in 2004.

I may be running Rotella T 10W-30 in our 1992 Ford Aerostar with a damaged (not sure what) engine...if I do so, I'm going to get a VOA done just to satisfy my own curiosity.

If I do that, I'll post back in this thread with a link to the VOA.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back