Are there any filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...truly not capable of 7.5k oci's. I realize this thread will mostly be opinion with a dose of fact involved, but i think most oil filters are more capable than they are credited for,as the oil in service is also, even the lowly ecore and orange can. Any filter can have a defect at any time but by and large the percentage of defects are very small and i feel often made to be more of an issue than truly they are. Because one filter causes a catastrophic failure should not reflect badly on the other one million in service performing flawlessly. This is not directed to any particular brand i'm speaking in general terms.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
...truly not capable of 7.5k oci's.

I think the biggest factor is how clean is the engine? With a new engine and good synthetic oil that keeps it clean inside, I think almost any filter could do 7.5K OCIs.

Put that same filter on an old sludged up piece of junk and it's a whole different scenario.

I believe this is why new vehicles can rack up high mileage oil change intervals (thru the dash indicator),they are clean to begin with.Nobody would/should be stupid enough to think a 300K mile beater can attain 7.5-10K oil change limits with any oil/filter combo.

My Grand Cherokee manual says when the computer says to change, or 12000 km, whichever comes first. That's 7500 miles. I've got about 11,500 on this change so far.

My dads cobalt ss does around 12,000km per change and thats what the mm say and gm agrees. It runs like a top with 60,000km on it now. My car says 12,000km if your not under severe.

I used and currently use low/mid-grade oil filters (nothing better than P1 or Bosch Premium or Motorcraft or cheap Fram Extra Guard ...) in 300k miles LS400 for full year, OCI with dino oil: 6-7k/6mo and filter changed every second oil change, with syn oil: 12-14k/12mo and filter changed at every oil change.

The engine run as normal as can be for 300k miles, no problem with oil or oil filter.

From my experience, any filter can be used for more than 7-8k miles in a clean engine.

I regard the orange can as a 5k filter, and used within those limits it is usually fine, I'd not be concerned about most any other name brand filter for 7,500 miles.

E-cores would only be good enough to drive to the store and get a real filter.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
The guy down the street does 10,000 km OCI's on his Ford Ranger using Castrol Edge Syntec and uses an Orange Can. He says all is well with that combo.

6k miles really isn't a stretch, even for the OCOD.

I have in the past ran ecores(AC PF61E) for 8k oci's. They held up well. I don't make it a regular practice though. I have never ran an orange can to test them, i just don't buy them, Classics are cheaper and i like Purolator. I do use Puro Classics for that length without hesitation regularly also P1's when i catch them on sale. Starting with a internally clean engine is probably the big factor as has been stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back