Are the M1, Bosch Distance and Royal Purple etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
really worth in some cases over 10 dollars more than lets say the Purolater Classic or AC/Delco filters?

The Purolater Classic at Walmart is $3.27. The Royal Purple filter is 14.99 at Pep Boys, the M1 12.99, Bosch Distance is 13.99.

The Puroltaer Synthetic is 12.99

Are all the filters really worth 4 times the price of the Classic?

About to change my oil in the next few days....going with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 this time, replacing current fill is PP. I'll probably run this oil about 7500-8000 miles. This is for the Silverado 5.3

Where does the NAPA Gold fit it here?

Opinions?

Goose

If you're going with a 7500~8000 OCI, why not go with a PureOne? They are only a couple more bucks than the Classic.

There are too many good filters in the < $10 range, for me to spend that kind of money on a filter unless doing extreme extended drains.

I find Motorcraft's Purolator knockoff to be the best "bang for the buck," as you get a decent filter with silicone ADBV for less than $4. On the expensive end at close to $10, Fram's Ultra is a great performer that has synthetic media and all the bells and whistles.

There are lots of ways to look at the cost of oil and filters. Yes, the filters you mention are better in terms of filtering and ability to hold more junk. But is it worth 2 or 3 times the price. You used PP rather than PYB. That costs probably an extra $9 per oil change. So if you bought 20 oil filters over the life of your vehicle and each filter was $5.00 more thats $100. Your vehicle cost what $25K. So its a tiny fraction.

My view is that if I can spend more on maint and get it to last longer then its well worth it. Also in doing oil changes myself I spend the labor cost on better quality oil & filters.

I buy 2 or 3 premium filters on Amazon at a time and get free shipping.

That makes sense Donald, all good points. I guess my question was more like IS the 13.00 filter really that much better than the $3.27 Purolater Classic and is it worth it to pay that extra $$?

Also I need to run a dexos approved oil( either licensed or meets the dexos specs) in my 2011 Silverado 5.3 per warranty. The dexos spec oil is either a synth blend or fill synth so the PYB is a no go.

Goose

I say that they are not worth more than the AC Delco for the Silverado. I say that because the PF48 (not an E-Core filter, BTW, for the E-Core haters) should certainly be good for whatever the OLM dictates as a drain interval. And for whatever this may be worth...I will also say that from the whopping two UOAs that I've done on my G8 GT (very similar engine, same PF48) the UOA with the AC Delco filter resulted in lower insolubles than the UOA with the Pure1.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
The Purolater Classic at Walmart is $3.27. The Royal Purple filter is 14.99 at Pep Boys, the M1 12.99, Bosch Distance is 13.99.

Those prices for the high end filters are around what we pay for them up here, which means they're too high. If you have extended OCIs, fine. Otherwise, for normal OCIs, it's hard to beat the Purolator Classic at $3.27.

Our Walmarts don't sell Purolators, just Frams. I mentioned in another thread that I saw a brand new Bosch filtration products catalog in a local WM filter aisle. I wonder what the intention is there.

Up here, the Wix/Napa Gold can be had from around $5 to $10 (at my cost), depending upon the application.

Fram Ultra is every bit the filter you quoted above and it's $10 or less for most part numbers.

For extended drains, a premium filter is vital and works out to be cost effective. Waste of money for short or ordinary OCIs.

Think of a premium filter as you would a premium oil. Pretty much, you get what you paid for in terms of quality and performance. Whether the quality and performance of the premium oil or filter is cost effective for you and your vehicle the way it's operated is a separate issue. On a short or normal OCI, neither premium item is very cost effective.. except in a hard used performance car or the like.

Seems strange to me that people will fork over $6-10/quart for oil but balk at a $10-12 oil filter.

Ended up splitting the difference and getting the Bosch Premium.(Pure 1 basically) Looks like a decent compromise
smile.gif

Goose

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
For extended drains, a premium filter is vital and works out to be cost effective.

What's the general consensus in using a premium filter like Royal Purple, K&N, Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, etc. for two intervals? In my case that tends to be 2 x 6000 = 12K or 2 x 7500 = 15K. Also, in my applications, the filters tend to be the small variety.

I never pay full price for filters, so using a new one every OCI isn't spending much extra. But if a filter can go two OCIs, I hate to generate extra waste, though I do recycle my filters properly.

barlowc: Research the interval listed by the mfr. Some advertise 12-15K others only 10K. Some advertise by capacity in grams. Most of the recommendations are likely conservative, if not very conservative, if your engine doesn't generate a lot of contamination (i.e. no problems, no [censored] fuel or harsh operating environment). In my own situation, having done enough research and testing, I wouldn't be afraid to push the limits on my gas engines but each situation is unique.

The Royal Purple 10-2876 that I just put on my Nissan says 12K. It's a really small filter.

The Fram Ultra XG7317 filters that I bought recently during the Pep Boys BOGO say 15K. They're a tad longer, but still pretty small.

So that's one of my questions/concerns. Manufacturers seem to state an extended interval for their line of filters, but don't differentiate between sizes, which would seem to be one of key variables in the equation. All other things being equal, a small thimble-sized filter wouldn't seem to be up to an extended task as well as a coffee-can sized one.

My engines are in great shape and UOAs don't show much in terms of insolubles, so I believe I'd be just fine. But the cost difference between using a single filter for the year versus two is minimal, so I hesitate to even take a chance with it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I mentioned in another thread that I saw a brand new Bosch filtration products catalog in a local WM filter aisle. I wonder what the intention is there.

Our Sino-Marts (at least the ones in my area) sell the Distance Plus for ~$11.87 USD, right on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
My engines are in great shape and UOAs don't show much in terms of insolubles, so I believe I'd be just fine. But the cost difference between using a single filter for the year versus two is minimal, so I hesitate to even take a chance with it.

If the driver for using a filter for two OCIs is cost, and there isn't much of a savings, then I'd just use a new filter ever OCI for piece of mind, especially if these are small filters. I agree, that a very small filter would be less likely to do two long OCIs and still have margin at the end of the 2nd OCI.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If the driver for using a filter for two OCIs is cost, and there isn't much of a savings, then I'd just use a new filter ever OCI for piece of mind, especially if these are small filters. I agree, that a very small filter would be less likely to do two long OCIs and still have margin at the end of the 2nd OCI.

OEM oil filter for most Honda engine is very small, and it is supposed to be good for 2 long OCI's of up to 10k miles each.

My LS400 oil filter is changed once a year with 2 dino OCI's or 1 syn OCI, up to 14-15k miles. The car is almost 300k miles and no oil related problem.

Last edited:
THe other option is to ask the filter manufacturer specifically about your filter part number. I asked Fram about the XG2 for my 5.4L and was told it had a capacity of 30 grams. I'm still collecting information on other filters in the same application but many are considerably less than that. You could ask for info on two filters, one smaller and one larger, but each with the same media type.

BTW- A synthetic media, which is a depth type media, usually has a greater capacity than a cellulose media or a blend. This is why the full-syn filters are advertised as high mileage filters. So, a smaller syn media filter could have more capacity than a larger cellulose filter.

If oil filters were $50 each, I'd consider a two OCI use if my engine was clean. Otherwise, a few more bucks a year for filters is in the noise level of vehicle maintenance cost.

I see it as all dollars and cents. The best filters are really best for extended oil change intervals or two, or even three, changes in a row. (Example, PYB regular with a Mobil extended Performance, 5000 mile x 3 = 15,000 miles for that filter. Filters like the Orange Can are best for short intervals. Figure your warranty, time and labor expense, and take your pick.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Our Sino-Marts (at least the ones in my area) sell the Distance Plus for ~$11.87 USD, right on the shelf.

Our have Fram, Fram, and more Fram. I don't see a huge problem with that, except that my locations, at least, don't have the synthetic ones, let alone any other brands whatsoever. If they bring in Bosch Premium at a decent price, I'd be pleased. Heck, if they brought in the Synthetic ones at a decent price (surely they can beat Canadian Tire), I'd be happy. As it is, our WM's filter selection is terrible, and they don't have any filters for my G. Even if I wanted an orange can, I'd be out of luck.

Heck....Ford is now specing 10,000 mile OCIs and the dealers use MC filters. Not bad for an under $4 filter from WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back