Are new oils always better?

Yuk

Life is full of compromises and I imagine engine oils could be full of even more compromises than we know.

I wouldn't be surprised if new oils lack certain anti-wear additives that old formulas had, in order to satisfy new environmental regulations. Are new oil specs "deficient" in some way, or are modern oils uniformly better? To be even more specific, is a modern "cheap" oil like SuperTech Full Synthetic better than a wonder oil (like green, German Castrol) from 20 years ago?

I seem to recall a while back that one of the 'new' API specs wasn't all that great and didn't last very long until it was superseded by an update. Might have been SM, can't recall.

The bottom of the barrel oils get better with every new spec. The difference will be less when comparing top tier oils unless some new insights get added to a spec, like LSPI mitigating

Interesting question. I'm thinking the base oil makeup of German Castrol was and still might be technically superior in some ways compared to what is used in most motor oils, but the add pack in it is less ideal for modern engines. If one looks at a typical UOA or VOA, it won't necessarily show everything in the oil.

There might be a case where older oils would be more desirable for a break-in oil on an engine that has non-rollerized lifters. But they make break-in additives to remedy that. You also might question a new oil in an engine with mechanical lifters in something that has high valve spring pressure. Maybe.
In just about all the vehicles that I currently drive, I'd take a new oil over an older formulated oil. I have a '71 Cougar that I question putting the latest forumulated oil in it. But it doesn't get driven every day and it has been broke in years ago.

As the manufacturers place increasing demands in their requirements for their ever more sophisticated engines, oils get better. They have to.

Dunno, but this oil is new to me; think it will do fine in a Ford Duratech. 😱🥱💀

Attachments

• IMG_7592.jpeg
    IMG_7592.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 34
Mobil 1, 15W-50, while still an excellent oil, is NOT better than it's earlier version. Same goes for any number of oils of various brands, many have been "cheapened" and performance in at least one category suffers. I do like oils with an AN base stock, but they don't flow in extreme cold and may not be capable of handling as much heat as a true PAO based oil. If these issues matter for you (they no longer do for me as I don't have any turbocharged engines now and I live in Florida) a boutique oil is a far better choice.

The idea that an oil that won't pour at -30°F and oxidizes at 450°F and has a lower HTHS is somehow better than it's predecessor that poured at -65°F and withstood 500°F, is somehow better, is in error. As both provide adequate lubrication under normal conditions, one clearly stands above when things get tough.

Mobil 1, 15W-50, while still an excellent oil, is NOT better than it's earlier version. Same goes for any number of oils of various brands, many have been "cheapened" and performance in at least one category suffers. I do like oils with an AN base stock, but they don't flow in extreme cold and may not be capable of handling as much heat as a true PAO based oil. If these issues matter for you (they no longer do for me as I don't have any turbocharged engines now and I live in Florida) a boutique oil is a far better choice.

The idea that an oil that won't pour at -30°F and oxidizes at 450°F and has a lower HTHS is somehow better than it's predecessor that poured at -65°F and withstood 500°F, is somehow better, is in error. As both provide adequate lubrication under normal conditions, one clearly stands above when things get tough.
That does seem to be the case with many of Mobil Ones' oils now. Seems they now have a 'cheapened version' of them, with the plain black labels, and then the 'better' ones with the colorful labels.

Back