Aprilia 1000 RSV Mille Recommended oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing my clutch plates with new Kevlar friction pads. My manual says use SAE 15W50 oil ... I'd like to return the 20W50 yamalube which I purchased. I believe that's Conventional because of the price(18 bucks for a gallon) and use some inexpensive Sythnetic oil with my new K&N filter where I could buy at the local walmart or Auto store in California . I had a lot of sludge and carbon pieces from my old clutch. have you guys used any inexpensive "car" oil on these bikes? what do you think? thank you for your information/feedback in advance

I like to use a cheaper motorcycle oil in a bike and change it more often. My TL1000 has 65,000 miles on dino oil ( mostly Suzuki some Bel-Ray last change was Brad Penn a Semi Syn). As you know these bikes are high rpm V-twins and I'd guess are both pretty hard on oil.

If you want to run the yamalube dino I'd go 1500-2000 miles a change and every other on the filter but thats just what has worked for me.

I like to run a jaso-spec oil that I can get somewhat cheap and not worry about possible clutch slippage, camshaft wear, sprag (starter) clutch not disengaging ect... just over a few dollars.

If you want to run a car oil stick with the 20/50 or a 15/40 hdeo and you should be ok from what I can tell. Does your bike list a 40 wt on the temp chart?

15w50, 20w50 difference is nothing to worry about. I'd be like saying it's 50f out today I can't ride, when it's 55f I'll go. (little over simplified but you get the idea)

Any jaso rated full synthetic is going to fall into the bike shop store high price class. Dino is non-synthetic, or oils that are labeled synthetic but are group 3 refined dino. (which is not a bad thing unless your paying bike shop prices for it).

I dunno about the temp chart. It just says SAE 15W50. All I know is it's ridiculously fast goes up to 190MPH, busa has 190 on the speedo too. dang! I'm thinking about putting in Rotella T 5W-40(whichone?) or M1 15W-50. which one is cheaper and where guys? this is my only transportation.

I have an '07 Tuono and I'm currently using Mobil 1 15W-50 (silver cap) car oil. Seems to be working great. It's available at Wal-Mart and most auto parts stores. Not cheap, but much cheaper than most synthetic motorcycle oils.

Forgot to mention: I've used Mobil 1 15W-50 in several other bikes over the past 14 years with good results. I've also tried Rotella synthetic in two FJRs, and that's good stuff as well.

My advice would be to run the Mobil 1 since it's a 15W-50 like the manual calls for. The Rotella synthetic would probably do OK too, but I'd feel more comfortable with the Mobil 1. By the way, I saw on the Pennzoil Platinum webpage that it's also available in a 15W-50. I'd totally try that, but I've never seen it on a shelf anywhere. Might not really exist!

superyellow - I'm sure there are some Aprilia forums out there - probably quite a few oil threads to peruse!! Generally some pretty good info available there.

I'm running M1 15-50 in my Suzuki DL1000, which is a water-cooled, wet clutch V-Twin, although certainly not in the Aprilia's class. Just checked at Wally's last nite - a 5 quart jug is $26.00, so, it shouldn't break the bank.

Quote:
By the way, I saw on the Pennzoil Platinum webpage that it's also available in a 15W-50. I'd totally try that, but I've never seen it on a shelf anywhere. Might not really exist!
I've yet to see it anywhere, either.. Urban legend??
21.gif
grin2.gif

apriliaforum.com is probably the best resource on the web for Ape owners...I check it almost daily. The site owner, af1racing.com has good prices on parts & accessories too.

if you talk with AF1, make sure you tell them hi for me and that i sent you. talk to Ed or Micha. awesome guys to deal with!
their old shop was about 3 miles from where i am sitting as i type this.

loved the old "dyn wipe board". 4' tall, 16' wide. bikes of all makes/models/sizes and the best hp/tq numbers on it from the factory pro ec997a dyno they used. the team austin ducati ama superbike was #1 with over 160 real hp.

i spent almost 3 hours dialing in the MixMaster of Doom. it was funny because during one run, some guys came in wanting to know how the 426 was doing. the 3 of us laughed and said, "its a 250". lots of open mouths and blanks stares back.
then a sv650 when on the dyn and he didn't make double. he was a little upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back