Apple announces digital driver license/state IDs with 8 states

It’ll be free to the user, but will require an iPhone. The process is to scan the physical DL/ID and then it’s saved to the Wallet app (was previously Passbook). I don’t know exactly who pays for it, but I’ve never paid extra for anything in my Apple Wallet, including airline boarding passes, train tickets, hotel reservations, etc. I assume the hotel/airline/whatever paid afee for this access, but I’m good with it.
whoever buys your personal information pays for it

Apple Pay is not free, and it has a few glaring issues on the processing side that many merchants aren't fond of, like using the same virtual account number for multiple customers. Apple takes a cut for each transaction they process through Apple Pay. As absolutely nothing is free with Apple, I wonder who ends up footing the bill for this service.
Apple doesn’t charge a fee to merchants or consumers to use Apple Pay, just the standard Mastercard processing fees of which Apple gets back 0.15% of every transaction.

I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't sell information on my hotel reservations or train tickets to information collectors. And the hotel or railroad already has my reservation.
I'd bet you are wrong. They, along with many others, data mine the sheet out of everything. There isn't anything that isn't converted into a profit opportunity for them.

I'd bet you are wrong. They, along with many others, data mine the sheet out of everything. There isn't anything that isn't converted into a profit opportunity for them.

Apple is adamant that they don't data mine to sell to third parties. I do understand that some social media companies do.

Apple Wallet doesn't have to communicate with Apple to provide a reservation. They all work through another app where the data flow is controlled by the company providing the app. And the best part for me is that some apps with digital tickets/reservations won't work with internet access. Once something is saved to Apple Wallet, it's accessible without requiring internet access. That can be useful if I'm at a train station with lousy cellular data, or maybe when I've hit my cellular data cap and it's really slow.

I can imagine someone getting pulled over and being nervous and all. The officer asks for your drivers licence and instead of the 3 seconds it takes to get it out of your wallet, you reach for your phone and try to frantically figure out how to access it for next 5 minutes with the cop staring at you. Hope the battery doesn't die on you.
Why not both?

I already have my license on an app on my phone, as AZ does this with their AZ Mobile ID app

Good to have but probably won't use it. I have Apple Pay set up on my iDevices but still use a physical card. Don't want to feel like a nerd at a 7-Eleven.
you reach for your phone and try to frantically figure out how to access it for next 5 minutes with the cop staring at you. Hope the battery doesn't die on you.

I can access my iPhone Wallet faster than I can dig out my wallet out of my stinkin' pants. And I'll have my phone plugged into CarPlay so it stays charged up whenever I'm driving.

I’m “slightly” on the inside with some of this technology (as a direct investor) with a well funded and well staffed company that shows great promise. Yes, it is related. The tech is amazing, it’s one heck of a lot safer than people realize, and it uses ingenious digital verification methods that are flat out secure.

More importantly, it does not use fingerprints, retinal scans, imbedded chip nonsense or passwords. And the theft of your phone gets them nowhere.

Another benefit of using the Apple Wallet is that I don’t need to carry a stuffed wallet in my pocket. Instead I can carry a few cards and some money for tips in this.

Back