Appendicitis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Around here, a doctor's visit costs the same as taking your car to a garage.

Are you saying you actually have to pay to see a doctor, or that you get your car repaired free?
smile.gif
I've just never heard of that in Canada.

Down here, Doctors can elect to "bulk bill", submitting an invoice directly to medicare, and getting the funds transferred weekly.

Or they can charge what they want ($60 per 5 minutes in this town), and the patient can then get $35 reimbursement off medicare.

Get it looked at! A white cell count is cheap and a good indicator.
Mine ruptured when I was a kid and I was running a 107° fever when I entered surgery with a 50% chance to survive. That same year, a classmate died from her rupured appendix.
You DO NOT wait it out!!

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, I no longer have an appendix (what a worthless little appendage anyhoooo!).

Went in Thursday evening, just did not feel right. Doc thought it might be a kideny stone, so I got a CT scan. Waited about 15 minutes, and he comes rushing in and says your scehduled for surgery in a few hours, as the nurses get the IV etc. going.

What a ____ of a few weeks I've had.

Surgery wasn't to bad, they did it lapriscorilly, where they fill your tummy with air and use a camera. You think you've ever had bad gas before? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa!!!

I'm out 5 grand now, no biggie. Can't wait to see what the total bill will be. When I broke my right wrist, the total bill was about 25 grand for everything, including physical therapy.

Since it no longer looks like I'm envinceable, think I'll be lowering my deductible to 1500. Only about 40 more a month. Penny wise, pound foolish I've been. It'd have taken 10 years to make up the difference bewteen the 5 grand deductible and the extra 40 bucks. Live and learn.

Thanks for the support fellas.
cheers.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Be advised, if you have to have a CT scan on short notice, you will lose all dignity. That's all I'm going to say about that.

They see everything, don't they Wayne! When I first got out of bed to urinate (man does that hurt after having a cathider, thought fire was gonna come out), I strained too hard and one of my bandages started seeping blood. I looked down and was like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh (gown all bloddy).

Of course, my nurse was fairly young and attractive; I told her, so she had me drop my gown to put an extra bandage on. Dignity goes out the window at the hospital.

I don't know what hospital you were in but everytime my dad was in the hospital in the Springs and something like that had to be done they would ask if he would like a male nurse.

Quote:

I don't know what hospital you were in but everytime my dad was in the hospital in the Springs and something like that had to be done they would ask if he would like a male nurse.

That's perverse. For my money I want a pretty FEMALE nurse!

Quote:

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, I no longer have an appendix (what a worthless little appendage anyhoooo!).

Kong rats! Anyway, what was the diagnosis? Irritated or Inflamed appendix?

Glad you got it taken care of. Sucks being that exposed to the hospital staff on short notice, doesn't it?
wink.gif

FWIW, I was back to riding my mountain bike 2 weeks after my surgery. The way they do it these days, recovery is fast & you probably won't even be able to see your scars in a few months.

Quote:

Since it no longer looks like I'm envinceable, think I'll be lowering my deductible to 1500. Only about 40 more a month. Penny wise, pound foolish I've been. It'd have taken 10 years to make up the difference bewteen the 5 grand deductible and the extra 40 bucks. Live and learn.

The best part is you actually get to live long enough in a functional state to make up the loss. None of us are unbreakable anymore. All are warranties have expired long ago.
frown.gif

Rejoice! You're alive, healthier, and got to tell us about it!
cheers.gif

Quote:

They see everything, don't they Wayne! When I first got out of bed to urinate (man does that hurt after having a cathider, thought fire was gonna come out), I strained too hard and one of my bandages started seeping blood. I looked down and was like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh (gown all bloddy).

Of course, my nurse was fairly young and attractive; I told her, so she had me drop my gown to put an extra bandage on. Dignity goes out the window at the hospital.

That reminds me of the time I went for a checkup and got this pretty young female doctor. She went through all the usual stuff, then started explaining about testicular cancer and how she wanted to check me for it. I didn't know if she was FOS or what, but I let her do it.
grin.gif

It turned out that my age group actually is the most at-risk for that. Maybe she still wanted me, though (I was single at the time).
grin.gif
banana.gif

Reminds me of when I was diagnosed with testicular cancer back in late 1993 early 1994. The first procedure was a sonogram of the boys and it was done by a female tech who was pretty cute.

She remarked how calm I was having a woman handle my equipment. I don't know if I was insulted or complimented. All I remember is the gel was cold, as she ran out of the pre-heated gel. That was probably a good thing looking back in retrospect.

Get it checked out asap! If you are in your 20's or 30's it is very common. Mine ruptured and I had to stay in the hospital for over a week.

I was a Paramedic and people like you were good for business. The pain can be anywhere and it could just as well be gall stones, kidney stones, a large artery getting ready to pop, kidney failure, you name it. Go to the Doctor and get looked at. Preventive medicine is cheaper that a rush to the operating room in screaming pain. If this pain reappears you may well find pain you did not know could exist, and it may not stop. The pain will be somthing you can't shake. You will not be able to answer difficult questions, like what is your name. You won't be able to get a big enough breath to speak and even if you do, you won't be able to remember your name. For many of these problems the pain will come in waves and the fear you experience waiting for the next wave to hit will be an somthing you are not likely to forget. One time after giving a teenager enough morphine to knock a horse over, he pulled the grab bar right of the ambulance wall. Later we found that he was passing a gall stone with all the symptoms of an appendicitis. His heart rate approached 200 beats per minute and the eeg showed him throwing pvc's like a drum beat. It was a bad day for him, a very bad day, but he did survive, and because of the irriteted pancreas he spend a week in the hospital. He had symptoms, twice before and ignored them. No one within the sound of his voice on the third episode will ever put off such a problem again, including him.

Maybe you folks should read the whole ____ thread. Been to the ER, got my appendix removed, and now I'm ____ near at 100%. Sheesh.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Maybe you folks should read the whole ____ thread. Been to the ER, got my appendix removed, and now I'm ____ near at 100%. Sheesh.
dunno.gif

I understand what ya mean, they are just not reading the entire thread. Glad your feeling better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back