API Licensing - viscosity mismatch with product label?

Hello,

I find myself with a pail of Triax Fleet Atlas (a 20w-50 HDEO, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CKZY3TJG/). From poking around, I see that this brand is regarded around here with suspicion, at best. Reading the various posts, I have to agree the company seems rather... questionable. Oops. So now I'm wondering what kind of trouble I've gotten myself into...

I had a look at the pail to confirm API licensing, figuring if it met criteria for my desired spec, it should be fine to run just the one pail of it. And indeed, I see "API licensed CI-4 Plus / CI-4" in big letters on the upper right, and the API donut on the bottom (see attached photos, as my product branding differs slightly from the Amazon product gallery). Well, okay, I guess it's certified, right? Wait... what? Certified SAE 15W-40? Sold and labeled as 20W-50, but certified 15W-40 on the donut? :unsure:

So my question here is... is this a situation that can possibly be legitimate? For example, maybe there is no API C test for 20W-50, so 15W-40 is the best they can go for? That doesn't sound right to me, from what I know and from trying to research the spec, but I don't really know much about the rating process. So, does this situation make sense to anyone, or have I just been bamboozled?

IMG_2902.JPEG

IMG_2903.JPEG

Very suspicious IMO. The website has some odd errors as well that BITOG members pointed out in other threads. To me it seems like a foreign company piecing together labels and a website. I wouldn’t trust it personally.

Email the company to get an explanation. Let us know how it goes if you do. They have had some mis-labeled specs on their website in the past but were ready to listen when I emailed them. I use their products & it's good oil at the end of the day. I'd get some clarification from them though.

Thank yourself that Amazon returns can be easy and in this case you could save yourself whatever you paid for it and buy from a reputable company instead.

If it’s too late for you to return it, perhaps send it off for a VOA.
I am actually quite curious what a VOA would reveal, but it is in fact still inside return window. At $100 + VOA cost, I'm not *that* curious.

Thank yourself that Amazon returns can be easy and in this case you could save yourself whatever you paid for it and buy from a reputable company instead.
Yeah that's kind of my thought as well. I'd just feel like a tool raising hell about it if it turned out to be my own ignorance at play, so I thought I'd inquire here first. I may also e-mail Triax like fantastic suggested; the thing is though that I'm already suspicious of them, so I'm not sure what any statement from them might be worth to me. They could claim anything that sounded halfway reasonable and I wouldn't have the knowledge to verify it. At least people here don't have skin in the game.

So my question here is... is this a situation that can possibly be legitimate? For example, maybe there is no API C test for 20W-50, so 15W-40 is the best they can go for? That doesn't sound right to me, from what I know and from trying to research the spec, but I don't really know much about the rating process. So, does this situation make sense to anyone, or have I just been bamboozled?
In regards to this specific question, no that cannot be legitimate. That is not how SAE grade labeling works.

Hello,

I find myself with a pail of Triax Fleet Atlas (a 20w-50 HDEO, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CKZY3TJG/). From poking around, I see that this brand is regarded around here with suspicion, at best. Reading the various posts, I have to agree the company seems rather... questionable. Oops. So now I'm wondering what kind of trouble I've gotten myself into...

I had a look at the pail to confirm API licensing, figuring if it met criteria for my desired spec, it should be fine to run just the one pail of it. And indeed, I see "API licensed CI-4 Plus / CI-4" in big letters on the upper right, and the API donut on the bottom (see attached photos, as my product branding differs slightly from the Amazon product gallery). Well, okay, I guess it's certified, right? Wait... what? Certified SAE 15W-40? Sold and labeled as 20W-50, but certified 15W-40 on the donut? :unsure:

View attachment 217065
View attachment 217066
Just ask @mostanggt95 since he seems to be fond of disinformation.

IMO it’s just another reason to skip Triax altogether… there’s no real price or performance benefits, and the numerous questions raised by many here seem to say Triax is not worth bothering over.

Return it, and don't touch that junk with 10ft pole.
That company cannot get its labeling in order for years; what makes you think their QC process when it comes to actual products is any better?

Curious if you ended up reaching out to Triax?
No. I just sent it back. Too many concerns and red flags with the company/product; I can't think of what they could say at this point that would make me want to run it. I'm still interested to hear any response that fantastic gets out of them, but from more of a popcorn standpoint.🍿

Just ask @mostanggt95 since he seems to be fond of disinformation.

IMO it’s just another reason to skip Triax altogether… there’s no real price or performance benefits, and the numerous questions raised by many here seem to say Triax is not worth bothering over.
Well, 20w-50 HDEO doesn't have many options, at least in my area, at least that I could find. Kendall apparently makes some if I could find a distribution center for it. Triax FA was quite a good price from the options I had. Though, from the cert, it may not be 20w-50 at all, and it's certainly not a good price for mislabeled 15w-40!

I've since found some 15w-50 locally, and concluded that it's probably a better viscosity for my application anyway. And yeah, it's half the price of the Triax...

Return it, and don't touch that junk with 10ft pole.
That company cannot get its labeling in order for years; what makes you think their QC process when it comes to actual products is any better?
Exactly my thoughts. Hell, half their products still seem to have spelling errors on the labels --- my pail being one of them.

No. I just sent it back. Too many concerns and red flags with the company/product; I can't think of what they could say at this point that would make me want to run it. I'm still interested to hear any response that fantastic gets out of them, but from more of a popcorn standpoint.🍿

Well, 20w-50 HDEO doesn't have many options, at least in my area, at least that I could find. Kendall apparently makes some if I could find a distribution center for it. Triax FA was quite a good price from the options I had. Though, from the cert, it may not be 20w-50 at all, and it's certainly not a good price for mislabeled 15w-40!

I've since found some 15w-50 locally, and concluded that it's probably a better viscosity for my application anyway. And yeah, it's half the price of the Triax...

Exactly my thoughts. Hell, half their products still seem to have spelling errors on the labels --- my pail being one of them.
Thanks for the update. I agree 100%. Something doesn’t add up with Triax.

Thanks for the update. I agree 100%. Something doesn’t add up with Triax.
Hello,

View attachment 217065
View attachment 217066

Here's their response to my inquiry regarding the mislabel. It appears it was the correct HDEO 20w-50 product you intended to purchase so that's good but the API donut stating 15w-40 was incorrect.

"Hello Justin,

That was a small error on that label; the 15W-40 API approval donut was on the 20W-50. The product itself, Part No. TRX6010 is 20W-50. Label error has been corrected.
That product had been recalled but apparently some inventory still got to people."

Thank you,
Alex
TRIAX Customer Service

Here's their response to my inquiry regarding the mislabel. It appears it was the correct HDEO 20w-50 product you intended to purchase so that's good but the API donut stating 15w-40 was incorrect.

"Hello Justin,

That was a small error on that label; the 15W-40 API approval donut was on the 20W-50. The product itself, Part No. TRX6010 is 20W-50. Label error has been corrected.
That product had been recalled but apparently some inventory still got to people."

Thank you,
Alex
TRIAX Customer Service
Thank you for reaching out.

Back