Anyone use Red Line's Water Wetter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-

I just want your imput. I'm thinking of running Red Line's Water Wetter in my GT 03 Mustang.

Thanks

[ July 22, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Ive used it... In my older cars (91 BMW 318i and 83 MB 300D) I didnt notice any difference adding 1/2 bottle into the system. In my 98 Chevy S-10, the needle stayed ever so slightly lower on the dial, indicating that maybe at most it was running 3-5 degrees cooler, I suppose.
I use it more for the piece of mind that it gives some lubricants for the water pump, etc.

JMH

Hi,

The only thing is that if you mix it with your 50/50 mix of glycol/ water then it won't reduce the water temperature at all. For best effect it should be mixed with demineralised/ hydro water. Not tap water. Check out the specs on the redline website.

somewhere redline clains that it will cool straight water, or water/glycol mixes better. Of course the water / wetter is the best, then water, then glycol mix with wetter, then regular 50/50 mix.

JMH

On the bottle it says that mixed with a 50/50 solution, Water Wetter will reduce engine temps. by 8-12 degrees. If you use 40% Glycol and 60% water the Water Wetter will reduce the engine temps up to 20* F.

I like the lubrication idea of the water pump, though. Also the anti corrosive agents.

I use it in all my vehicles. It works! I use it with no anti freeze at all. I live in Southern California and do not worry about freezing weather! Highly recommended!

I've used it. It works, just don't expect grand things from it. Five to ten degrees at best from what I've seen. If your vehicle gets hot only under certain conditions such as at idle- it will help but not totally fix it.

Or, you can buy a pint of Schaeffer's Clean & Cool from Tim, it'll do the same job plus electrolysis protection, and cavitation protection in a diesel. That pint is used @ 2 oz. per gallon of coolant. The Clean & Cool also slowly removes scale from your cooling system...if it looks dirty, that's old dirt it's floating away--time for a flush.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
I use it in all my vehicles. It works! I use it with no anti freeze at all. I live in Southern California and do not worry about freezing weather! Highly recommended!

Of course in SoCal, you'll never have a freeze event, but corrosion is kept under control with anti-freeze. If your rad/water pump/head passages don't corrode on straight water, then you've got a one-in-a-million engine.

I'd highly recommend changing out and switching to a decent 50/50 anti-freeze mix.

There are other corrosion inhibitors that will work in plain water. Antifreeze isn't needed if the correct mix of inhibitors are added.

Ken

WaterWetter does contain some anti-corrosion additives-if I remember right.

why cant you use tap water in a cooling system? i use it...havent had a problem. inside where the cooler lines meet the water pump inside the block...its still clean...

That's all I've ever used is tap water straight out of the garden hose with antifreeze and clean and cool(water wetter stuff from schaeffers). Haven't had a problem yet.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
why cant you use tap water in a cooling system? i use it...havent had a problem. inside where the cooler lines meet the water pump inside the block...its still clean...

Tap water has a high amount of minerals that are bad for the cooling system when the water evaporates. Some areas of the country are worse than others, but using distilled water is the best because most of the minerals have been removed(distilled out.) In area of the country that do not freeze, an 20%:80% ratio of coolant:water is ideal to prevent corrosion. Add a couple bottles of Water Wetter on top of that and you can head off to the track.

[ July 28, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

A Viper owner in CA. ran Water Wetter with distilled water only in his aluminum V-10 and it corroded his engine so badly that it had to be pulled and returned to Detriot for a repair that included welding the block.

I'd be cautious above relying on Water Wetter alone for anti-corrosion in an aluminum engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Some minerals present in the tap water in some localities will react with the chemicals in the antifreeze and cause a precipate to drop out. This precipitate will clog the radiator after a few years.

i guess i will get some distilled water next time. this is my second radiator after 150k. the other one cracked due to an accident.

cant i just get the premixed one? i dont know how easy distilled water is to be found here

quote:

A Viper owner in CA. ran Water Wetter with distilled water only in his aluminum V-10 and it corroded his engine so badly that it had to be pulled and returned to Detriot for a repair that included welding the block.

OMG...good thing i didnt try that. cant u sue the company, redline, for that..or at least bill them?

Ken

quote:

Some minerals present in the tap water in some localities will react with the chemicals in the antifreeze and cause a precipate to drop out. This precipitate will clog the radiator after a few years.

Ken

[ July 28, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

My water comes from my well and it's almost "chunky" with mineral content. Straight from the hydrant before my water softener I wouldn't put it in anything. City people may be better off...

[ July 30, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back