Anyone use a V-Twin CRX engine?

Anyone ever use one of these Newer CRX engines? 680cc?

Was looking on Small Engine Warehouse for a re-power for a John Deere 318 project I'm working on and came across them. I guess they're relatively newer... they don't look bad.

They're from the FNA Group/Simson pressure washers.

Doing a search on "where are CRX engines made" gives a lot of misleading info (based on the fact that it's assuming we seek a SUV based engine answer ....)

The "about" menu in the CRX website doesn't say much other than a "California" company.
Most likely a company based in CA which imports foreign made engines (China? Korean? dunno ....)
Presuming they are imported, the product itself must by law identify the origin of its manufacture. But I cannot seem to find that info one way or another.

That doesn't make them bad. Just a bit of an unknown.
Honestly, it might be a bit of fun to experiment with a relative newcomer.

I'll be curious to hear about the engine, should you choose to install one.

Doing a search on "where are CRX engines made" gives a lot of misleading info (based on the fact that it's assuming we seek a SUV based engine answer ....)

The "about" menu in the CRX website doesn't say much other than a "California" company.
Most likely a company based in CA which imports foreign made engines (China? Korean? dunno ....)
Presuming they are imported, the product itself must by law identify the origin of its manufacture. But I cannot seem to find that info one way or another.

That doesn't make them bad. Just a bit of an unknown.
Honestly, it might be a bit of fun to experiment with a relative newcomer.

I'll be curious to hear about the engine, should you choose to install one.
Yeah I had a lot of the same luck, no concrete answers and a lot of info omitted.

I fired off an e-mail to their customer service with some questions I had. If they reply, I'll put them here.

Here were the questions I asked with their answers. What is kinda interesting to me is that I e-mailed the FNAGroup e-mail address but received my reply from Small Engine Warehouse... they may be affiliated somehow.

1. Where are the CRX 680 engines manufactured?
2. What oil filter does the CRX 680 take? If you can provide a WIX or Fram number, I can easily cross reference.
3. What would you expect usual lifetime of the engine to be in hours?
4. How would someone go about obtaining parts for an engine?
4a. Have you considered by any chance having an online parts catalog or even maybe a storefront to purchase parts? I can definitely understand your confidence in the quality of your product, and I am not doubting that… however, it’s inevitable that a coil could fail or maybe an air cleaner lid could break.
5. Do you have any additional videos or resources on your engines running (not in a pressure washer application)? Curious on how they are with a cold start, how they sound idling, how they sound running.

1. The CRX engines are manufactured in China

2. we have a parts department that could help you with the part number of the oil filter, 765-287-3499

3. engine life expectancies are based on the maintenance care they've been shown, so no company rates engines in hours, per se...

4. there are 500 CRX service dealers across the nation

5. we do not have any videos of the engines running, sorry.

I'm still interested... might pick one up. Not sure but considering.

It looks like there’s a lot of finishing design in this one. Pics make it look like art. does the fancy milled crankshaft at the cooling intake accept an additional adapter for another belt drive or rotating accessory?

it’s not cheap for an unknown brand….

It looks like there’s a lot of finishing design in this one. Pics make it look like art. does the fancy milled crankshaft at the cooling intake accept an additional adapter for another belt drive or rotating accessory?

it’s not cheap for an unknown brand….
If you're looking at the link from Small Engine Warehouse, that milled crank is an adpater the manufacture and include so that the crank will bolt up to the driveshaft in the John Deere 3xx series tractors. Also, pictured, is the PTO clutch/pulley. So that $1500 price from SEW includes those two pieces. I see the bare engines going for around $1k.

Back