Anyone run the General G-Max RS?

Looking to replace a set of Conti EC Sport (which have been great), but the current 02 model is on backorder with no ETA in the size I need.

Considering a Plan B, like the G-Max RS, which is a segment down (UHPS), and might not be an issue since it will be a street tire.

Firestone Indy 500 (BS RE003) are in the same class, but heavier, and not as good in the wet.

So the main debate is whether to wait for the ECS02, or take a chance on the RS next time it goes on silent "in cart price" sale, which also made them about $200 cheaper for a set, sans rebate or similar promo.

I have not run the RS Generals.

I would ask you to consider the Conti DWS06Plus tires. I had two sets (MX5 and Taurus); they were outstanding.
If they are available, you might want to look at those. In controlled testing, they did about 99% as good as the ECS Contis. I wouldn't have thought that all-season tires would have been as good, but they really were impressive.

If you choose to get the General RS tires, please make sure to update this thread occasionally; I'd love to hear about them.

I do not have direct comparison between the two but RS on our Volvo S40 are doing quite well.

Krzyś

I have not run the RS Generals.

I would ask you to consider the Conti DWS06Plus tires. I had two sets (MX5 and Taurus); they were outstanding.
If they are available, you might want to look at those. In controlled testing, they did about 99% as good as the ECS Contis. I wouldn't have thought that all-season tires would have been as good, but they really were impressive.

If you choose to get the General RS tires, please make sure to update this thread occasionally; I'd love to hear about them.

Will do. I did consider the DWS, but decided to stick with summer tires for this car. But when the P7 all-seaons on another car are due, I will probably replace them with those Contis.

I do not have direct comparison between the two but RS on our Volvo S40 are doing quite well.

Ive sold the generals and no complaints, but I dont have any vehicles personally that that would be a suitable tire for

It's subjective, but one of the knocks against the RS is their noise. Any comments in that regard?

I talked to a Tire Rack salesman who has them on has wife's car, and he said they're good, but loud. That's not necessarily a big deal to me, but I still do want to get a better sense of what I might get into. I think they do have a 45-day tryout period as insurance.

I have the Indy 500's on my VW CC R-line and wife's Audi A3. They are great tires and much less expensive. Living in Tampa, I can tell you the wet performance is terrific. Read the tire rack review of them.

Looking to replace a set of Conti EC Sport (which have been great), but the current 02 model is on backorder with no ETA in the size I need.

Considering a Plan B, like the G-Max RS, which is a segment down (UHPS), and might not be an issue since it will be a street tire.

Firestone Indy 500 (BS RE003) are in the same class, but heavier, and not as good in the wet.

So the main debate is whether to wait for the ECS02, or take a chance on the RS next time it goes on silent "in cart price" sale, which also made them about $200 cheaper for a set, sans rebate or similar promo.
It will be a step down. If you do not want to wait 02, go Michelin PS4S or Bridgestone Potenza Sport, Pirelli Zero.

I've heard some anecdotal reports of General brand tires loosing air pressure faster and being more susceptible to uneven wear from under and over inflation than competing products. I personally thought that was hogwash, but then took closer notice to the tires on my Mom's car recently... tires that were consistently 5-10PSI low every time I ever checked them (didn't think much of it until someone else recently mentioned they had seen these issues with general tires)... Sure enough, they were General Altimax tires (I hadn't paid any attention previously). The other day I'm getting it cleaned up and get some photos of it to be sold, take it for a drive to see if it's ready to make a good test drive showing and it's driving really squirmy and weird with shaking steering wheel....

The tires were totally bald on the outside and still had about 6-7/32 tread in the center. Had them all replaced. I think they had about 30K miles on them and were about 6 years old.

If I'm finding it 5-10PSI every few months when I think to check it when visiting, and she's never checking it... That's a recipe for potencial bad wear with any tire (partly operator error), but in my experience, the tires on our cars never lose air that fast. I usually check our tires every 2-4 months and rarely find more than a 1-3PSI deficit from where I previously set them, and have run some tires under-inflated on purpose and never experienced this level of of center to edge wear variation. I can't help but think that if they had spent the extra $10-20/tire and gone with some Continental/BFG/Micheline All-seasons, the tires might have held air better and handled the poorer maintenance better overall.

I guess I question if the General tires are "worth" the savings... not sure. That said, I suspect that today's line of General tires is probably different than it was 6 years ago. The particular altimax tires on that car I don't think are sold today. The RT45 would be todays replacement and might be a much better tire.

I guess I question if the General tires are "worth" the savings... not sure. That said, I suspect that today's line of General tires is probably different than it was 6 years ago. The particular altimax tires on that car I don't think are sold today. The RT45 would be todays replacement and might be a much better tire.
I had the rt43s and while I wasn't impressed with them at all, they lasted all of 70k mules, mostly highway, for me. I can't really complain for $200 but their price has gone up considerably where their value ratio is lessening.

Back