Anyone remember caster bean oil for racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They still use castor oil in fuel powered RC cars. It must be a good lubricant because those engine see HORRIBLE conditions. 3000 to 40000+ rpm and temps of 260+ degrees.

here are the specs on an 1/8 scale buggy OS engine

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: OSMG2072
Displacement: 0.211 cu in (3.5cc)
Bore: 0.654 in (16.6mm)
Stroke: 0.630 in (16.0mm)
Practical rpm: 3,000-42,000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 34,000 rpm
Weight: 11.1 oz (315.5g)
Carburetor: 20K
Glow Plug: T-P7 Turbo (included)

Ray (ex 1/8 scale buggy racer)

Any well formulated seed oil will work well if refined and used with a proper anti-oxidant.

It was the glycerine in unrefined Castor oil that accelerated oxidation.

quote:

Castrol still makes A747,

I thought A747 was a synthetic, ? at least thats what it used to say on the bottles way back in the eighties when I raced Karts.

R30 and R40 are still available, and they are straight castor based oils.

quote:

Rape oil, (from the rape seed) is in the same leaque when it comes to high temperature film strength and boundry layer lubrication.

Canola (Low Erucic Acid Rape Oil) is a hybridised Rape seed that I believe was specifically developed for industrial lube use. Due to large scale growing and harvesting worldwide, it has found its way into almost every foodstuff that uses an oil.

Fatty Acids: Saturated: Palmitic Acid 3,750
Stearic Acid: 1,500
Monounsaturated: Oleic Acid 55,000 - 59,000
Erucic Acid 1,000
Palmitoleic Acid 250
Polyunsaturated: Linoleic Acid 21,500 - 25,000
Gamma-Linolenic Acid 5,000
Superunsaturated: Alpha-Linolenic Acid: 10,000 - 10,500

Dew Coat was a popular 2 stroke oil, and it was castor oil based.
People swore by it - it 'clinged' to parts better, and the MXrs had less piston and needle bearing problems with it than conventional oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
labman,
does that mean coconuts could work also ?

I never looked at its lubricating properties, but it quite stable and doesn't polymerize. Paints using it depended on other constituents to dry.

Mobil used the cocamide ester in TriSyn!!!!

Comparing wood coatings and lubricants is fallacious.

Two different chemistries, two different applications are involved.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Mobil used the cocamide ester in TriSyn!!!!

Comparing wood coatings and lubricants is fallacious.

Two different chemistries, two different applications are involved.

Coconut oil is saturated, and shouldn't polymerize. Soybean oil is soybean oil, unsaturated and will polymerize in the presence of oxygen and heat without a stout additive package. It is catalyzed by many metals.

I'm going to ask this stupid question, just because I want to know, not try this. Can Castor Oil be used as a base in a 4-cycle oil as opposed to just 2-cycle oils and if so, could it be used as a modern day lubricant, or is it just a nostalgic lubricant of the past?

It is a saturated oil and is not as easy to polymerize. I think there may still be products available that use it.

I think that the Shell products are used in both the sump of Alky 4 stroeks, and the fuel of the two strokes.

I meant a gasoline or diesel powered engine. I do realize that Blendzall makes a 4-cycle castor oil based lubricant, either in a light or regular weights.

Has anybody done this, or strictly alky-based fuels or Kart racing?

Shannow, another take on this particular lubricant was brought to my attention by a tech at Maxima Oils. He said that you could actually mix a little of their Castor 927 product in your gasoline tank, for the extra lubricity on the top end. But yes, wasn't recommended as a crankcase lubricant for any length of time, like in a regular automobile gasoling engine.

Oh well, leave it for the racers, or crazy people like me!!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

quote:

Castrol still makes A747,

I thought A747 was a synthetic, ? at least thats what it used to say on the bottles way back in the eighties when I raced Karts.

R30 and R40 are still available, and they are straight castor based oils.

You are correct , sir...
A747 is part synthetic, part bean. It will separate at cold temps, but blends well with race fuels. A747 and TrackTek 111 is one of my favorite mixes for 2 stroke small bore racing.

Castrol A747
Castrol A747 is a very high performance, low ash, part synthetic, part castor oil, 2-stroke engine oil formulated for use in multi-cylinder, water-cooled, engines fitted to road racing machines. Designed for and proven in 2-stroke racing bikes
Benefits
Excellent high temperature lubricity for maximum power output
Excellent engine cleanliness to prevent engine knock and prevent power loss
Prevents throttle-slide sticking under cold, wet driving conditions
Excellent protection against wear and scuffing for longer engine life
Application
Castrol A747 is tailored to meet the needs of the ultimate high-performance 2- stroke racing equipment and offers the best possible power and protection to the engine and the rider. Castrol A747 is readily miscible with fuel and can be used at ratios up to 40:1 according to the engine manufacturer’s recommendation.
Product Performance
API TC
Race proven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back