Anyone remember air florida flight 90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocker, a low cost airline with either old aircraft, poor maintenance or third tier inexperienced pilots.

A current version of this type accident waiting to happen is Allegiant Airlines flying MD80 relics.

So far, every Mad Dog I've flown has been with DL, G4 flights have all been newer Airbus variants A319s and A320s. Allegiant is quickly phasing out the Mad Dogs.

I have no qualms about flying Allegiant, but I do prefer the Delta way of doing things...priority boarding, free checked bag, etc. with my SkyMiles AMEX card, so I tend to fly Delta more often than not.

Valujet 592 would be a better Allegiant comparison than Air Florida 90.

Us too.
We've flown on some remarkably vintage Delta MD80s, which all looked to be in good nick in and out.
DL is well equipped to do its own MRO, unlike Allegiant and also has decades of experience with the various developments of the type, from the fist DC-9-10 through the MD90 and MD95, AKA Boeing 717.
Delta did have an event some years ago where an uncontained engine failure on an MD80 sent a disc through the cabin, killing two passengers, if I've recalled the incident correctly. The plane was then taken to a single engine landing without further incident.

They were deiced but sitting behind a DC-9 during heavy snow iced over some engine sensors. Snow/iced aircraft, no engine heat, false power reading, crew inexperience and captain dismissing FO concerns were all factors. I still can't believe they couldn't hear something was up to par. Sure EPR readings were normal but you can definitely tell when the engines aren't at the right power setting. Especially those old JT8D engines. EPR settings looked normal, thrust lever position, N1, N2 below normal along with lower engine sound and slow acceleration should have triggered something to raise a red flag.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
So far, every Mad Dog I've flown has been with DL, G4 flights have all been newer Airbus variants A319s and A320s. Allegiant is quickly phasing out the Mad Dogs.

I have no qualms about flying Allegiant, but I do prefer the Delta way of doing things...priority boarding, free checked bag, etc. with my SkyMiles AMEX card, so I tend to fly Delta more often than not.

Valujet 592 would be a better Allegiant comparison than Air Florida 90.

Hearing that name still makes me cringe. As a kid, my grandmother's cheap husband always booked us flights on Valujet, and later AirTran (not be be dissuaded by the fact that this was the same company that slaughtered 100 people). I was big aviation buff as a kid, and I remember that their planes looked like old hooptys even to me. They were definitely 737 planes with the old cigar engines.

All I remember hearing for months was "Valujet this" "Sabretech that". And the fact that literally not one hair was ever found of more than half the people that died.

All that because some jackholes thought it would be a great idea to load up a plane with what essentially were oxygen incendiary grenades.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Hearing that name still makes me cringe. As a kid, my grandmother's cheap husband always booked us flights on Valujet, and later AirTran (not be be dissuaded by the fact that this was the same company that slaughtered 100 people). I was big aviation buff as a kid, and I remember that their planes looked like old hooptys even to me. They were definitely 737 planes with the old cigar engines.

All I remember hearing for months was "Valujet this" "Sabretech that". And the fact that literally not one hair was ever found of more than half the people that died.

All that because some jackholes thought it would be a great idea to load up a plane with what essentially were oxygen incendiary grenades.

ValuJet 592 was a DC-9, not a 737. I remember that Saturday afternoon when the plane never arrived here in Atlanta. To this very day the mechanic who loaded the oxygen generators is on the run and has never been caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back