Anyone own a Honda Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all, we are thinking about getting a 2009 Honda Fit Sport, one that lookis like this It would be for trips to the store, and the occasional trip to see family, about 100 miles, as well as commuting when I dont feel like paying for gas in the truck. Is it a good and safe vehicle? Also, since we are on BITOG, should synthetic or dino oil be used in it? Thanks!

If you want a safe car..this is not the car to get. I remember standing outside the place I worked on break and seeing a drunk driver slam into a parked Honda Fit with his brand new Ford F150. The rear bumper ended up where the front seat used to be. It just got smashed and that was at 45 mph impact from the rear. The car just caved in. So if you value your life or your loved ones, dont get this ride.

Anecdotes are a dime a dozen. The Fit is plenty safe, safe as any modern small car. Note that it made the 2009 IIHS top safety pick list: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_archive_2009.html

I own one, my wife drives it 70 miles/day commuting on the highway and it handles well and stops on a dime and has lots of airbags. Yes it's safe. And its a very well made car. She averages 37+mpg.

I've done oil analyses on it and our OLM pushes changes out to 10k miles. Mobil 1 oil holds up pretty well, but I think you'd be fine going with quality dino up to 7500 miles or so given mostly highway. If you're driving around town probably 5000 miles is a better bet or whenever the OLM says 30%. Leave the filter on for 2 OCIs (this engine is so small and there's such a small piston swept area that it really doesn't shed much wear material or produce much in the way of insolubles that would be trapped by the filter).

Conclusion: get one of these cars! Consumer reports calls it the most economical car you can buy, by a wide margin!

now im confused.....
confused.gif
would a mazda 3 be a better choice? that was one of our other possibilities

I've driven in a co-workers' 2010 Mazda 3 and there was no room in that thing, I hated it. If you are a small person it might be ok, but I'm 6'2" and it wouldn't work for me. Anyway Honda>>Mazda.

Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Anecdotes are a dime a dozen. The Fit is plenty safe, safe as any modern small car.

But that's exactly the problem. You're still going to lose if something big hits you. Better to go with at least a 1-ton dually. With that, you'll come out the 'winner' in any collision short of hitting a large commercial truck.

The Honda FIT is obviously designed with a different mind set then a MS3 so of course the MS3 is tiny in comparison to the Fit.

I've driven one plenty of times (my Honda dealer gives them out as loners) and its a nice car. Plenty of air bags and more then enough power to move the light shell up to speed in a hurry.

I vote yay!

Originally Posted By: Artem
The Honda FIT is obviously designed with a different mind set then a MS3 so of course the MS3 is tiny in comparison to the Fit.

I was actually quite surprised to hear that. The Fit must be very efficient in terms of interior space. I'm only 5'10", so the Mazda3 is very spacious and comfortable to me. I have six inches of head room and 3 inches of leg room to spare. I haven't driven a current generation Fit to compare.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Anecdotes are a dime a dozen. The Fit is plenty safe, safe as any modern small car.

But that's exactly the problem. You're still going to lose if something big hits you. Better to go with at least a 1-ton dually. With that, you'll come out the 'winner' in any collision short of hitting a large commercial truck.

That's why I only let my wife and kids ride in large commercial vehicles.

Anyway, would my Accord handle a 45mph hit from a F150? Probably not. When is big enough big enough?

Now as to oil, if you follow the MM system it will be 7500~10,000 mile OCI's. It doesn't make sense [to me] to try to save 4 bucks over that long, so I would go with a cheap synthetic even though it's calibrated for Dino (and SM at that).

Last edited:
We thoroughly enjoy ours. It has about 40k miles on it, and is quite comfortable for highway trips and around town. On long trips we've gotten 40 mpg from it. The ride is comfortable, the engine is willing enough, and the controls are all easy to use.

For the interior, the Fit is a marvel of maximum interior space with minimum exterior space. We've stuffed a 5 foot long dresser into it with the hatch shut. The "magic" rear seats do provide a truly flat cargo area, or one that's tall enough to put most large items into.

For the gripes: It's noisy on the highway, with lots of tire/wind noise. The Z1 ATF needs changing every other oil change, or else shifting gets harsh and sloppy. Parts are impossible to find in the local stores, or even online (it has only needed gas, oil changes, ATF changes, cabin/engine air filters, and a new set of tires to date). Honda skimped on the rustproofing IMO, so be mindful of that. The foglights and A/C condenser need additional protection due to being so low to the ground. They are common breakage items on the Fit boards from the folks who opted not to protect them.

We'd highly consider another one if/when my Buick needs replacing.

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
If you want a safe car..this is not the car to get. I remember standing outside the place I worked on break and seeing a drunk driver slam into a parked Honda Fit with his brand new Ford F150. The rear bumper ended up where the front seat used to be. It just got smashed and that was at 45 mph impact from the rear. The car just caved in. So if you value your life or your loved ones, dont get this ride.

Please.
smirk.gif

So we're all suppose to drive gas gusslers just in case we get hit, hopefully that big vehicle protects us better.

Like there's never been a fatality of a person driving a truck or suv.

Here's the solution; If value your life or your loved ones, never leave the house!
crazy.gif

if you're just looking for a cheap frugal car why not a versa? you could probably get one for dirt cheap and they have the biggest interior room in the class if i'm not mistaken.

or if you want something a little nicer look at fiestas. parts will be a lot easier to find and cheaper than on the fit.

They are cool cars, and massive inside.
Versa I did find to have a nice drive to it, but if cargo space is what you are after, nothing beats the Fit. I just looked at both a few months ago during the same day. Fit is epic inside, seats fold flat, so much interior room its astonishing.

I found the 1.5L to be a little slow (I ended up getting a Civic for a little extra oomph) but the car itself is wonderful.

It truly is a very spacious car inside. We find ourselves amazed at how easily ours accommodates large loads.

A Firestone Ride-Rite air spring kit is being added into the rear coil springs shortly to stiffen up the rear end so it doesn't sag as much with heavy loads.

We think the base model FIT rides fine . Keep 35 p.s.i. in the tires . Can't say for the CIVIC , never test drove one . We've always had small cars , so you or others may think different . Worst riding car we owned was the '06 XB . Especially on rough roads / streets .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How does the Fit compare to the Civic in terms of ride quality ?

I've never owned a Fit, but did test drive and have ridden in other peoples'. In my opinion, the Fit rides a bit more roughly than the Civic. Both are pretty firm riding, but the Fit feels "busier". It's almost never completely smooth, unles the road it perfect. The Civic is still firm, but feels a little more damped and copes better with large bumps, etc. This is based on the outgoing Civic model. I've heard that the new design Civic has a softer ride.

I just bought my Fit 3 weeks ago and I love it. I have also always had small cars because of my commute and how much I travel (135mi round trip/~45k yr). The Fit is by far the best little commuter I've had in terms of being comfortable, roominess, and being a gas sipper. It handles well, but it is top and forward heavy and thus wallows a bit in the corners, but it's still "sporty" for a FWD car. Only my old Mazda3 sedan was better. In terms of quality, it's not to shabby, but if you look, you'll see seems in the plastic and some other stuff the Honda accountant got to. The manual transmission is crisp and shifts well, but 3.5k rpms at 70mph is a littel noisy (the auto spins at a lower speed). All in all, its an excellent car. But it all fairness, this is a B-segment car, so comparable cars are the Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris and Suzuki SX4 Sportback. Comparing the Fit to C-segment cars such as the Mazda 3, Focus, and Corolla isn't comparing apples to apples. The Fiesta/Mazda2 are the only car in its segment that compares to the Fit IMHO. The Versa's cheap interior doesn't do it any favors and the Yaris (as well as many of Toyota's current vehicles offerings) are [censored] as well (in terms of quality of equipment).

Like dhadden, I actually own one and drive it also.
So I am not sure what my 2 cents are worth over the other posts.

Fit:
Pros: peppy in first 3 gears, large sump = long oci, like 10k miles, hatchback, average 30s mpg, good view all around with all the large glass. rear seat reclines a bit, great for kids to nap. did mention it is a hatchback? tight honda suspension.
Cons: NOISY engine at any speed over 60 in the hwy. funky size tires/wheels, it is a bear to find them, I got tired of everyone telling me "I have an odd size" pls no jokes. power is horrible at final drive and 65 mph, mpg drops like a rock if you have the a/c on and drive a little spirited. NO ENGINE temp guage on the dash, only a cold light, arrrrgh. stock stereo/radio is the pits, I mean stuff in my little gals diapers.

conclusion: I drive my fit around 300 miles everyweek and also drive my office corolla around 300 miles every week. and the hatchback is the ONLY plus will give the fit over the corolla. I luv driving corolla, quiet, adequate power, excellent mpg, stereo rocks.
got for one, but know the limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back