Anyone know who makes this filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5AC2DAC9-0891-4B92-93BC-AABD771AA816-7539-0000037D7B99CB20.jpg

DA7D6AFE-9581-4ACA-93DB-7918C5129888-7539-0000037D89BDC213.jpg

I'm guessing it's Mann or Hengst? Local pepboys didn't carry the Mann filter I got before so grabbed this as the substitute filter.

Last edited:
I am always curious why people care who actually made the filter. Purolator either made it or it was made to their specs. There name and reputation are on the line, not the company who manufactured it. This not rocket science, but rather a price point. Most manufacturers of most things can make a top quality item or a piece of [censored], just what is the price point.

If it's made in Germany it's a quality piece. No worries.

What makes you think Purolator did, or did not, make this? I agree on principal; it was made by them, of for them, to some spec that was satisfactory to the OEM customer.

Off topic -
Threaded stud on the filter? Perhaps an Audi application?

Just another way to take a $5 filter and turn it into a proprietary $25 filter ... Likely no performance difference compared to a typical shelf filter, but the very limited applicability makes for a very captive audience!

I know because my buddy just got a new little Audi SUV and he was SHOCKED when he realized his filter is like this one ($$$$) and he has to run a very expensive syn (Probably going to be M1 0w-40 during warranty for compliance).

Caveot emptor.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Bosch and Purolator have merged, maybe this is a carry over.

oldhp, see my above post.
not so much a merger, Bosch and Mann are the Current 50/50 Co-owners of the Purolator brand.

it's right there @ the bottom of the Purolator home page
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net
"Purolator Filters NA LLC is a joint venture company of the Bosch Group and Mann+Hummel Group."

That's what I suspected. In fact, that is the exact same filter for my friend's Q5 4cyl turbo. (Wix equiv is 57561).
$15 at OR's; $10 at Fleetfilter (plus shipping); I think he said the Audi OEM is like $25+. All for a filter that probably is no "better" than a typical $4 51516 (equiv L20195) in actual efficiency.

What a shame; having to pay so much money for what would otherwise be a "normal" shelf filter with typical performance therein.

Last edited:
That's why I try to stock up on any deals I see. I got this filter and 5qts of Mobil 1 for $29.99 at the PepBoys near me.

Originally Posted By: jigen
That's why I try to stock up on any deals I see.

Do some checking online. Autopartsway up here has the Mann for $12.53. Your M1 and filter special is good though. Getting 5 quarts of M1 here for $29.99, even without a filter, is a major chore here.
wink.gif

My first thought was Mann knowing their relationship with Purolator. Many Mann filters sold in the US are made by Purolator. (Usually are white where the made in Germany Mann filters are black).

However out to the right of 'Made in Germany' I can make out 'He'. Just guessing maybe it is indicating Hengst.....but it could be indicating anything starting with He.

my guess for the "He..." was "hecha en alemania" , Spanish for "Made in Germany" (At least according to google translate)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back