Anyone have info on Mazda SG1 gear oil options?

sorry posted this in the wrong section, ill repost in correct section

Hey everyone new member here. So heres my situation. My neighbor has a 2020 mx5 with lsd and i usually do all his work on his cars and he asked me to get him fluid to do some maintenance on his car for him. i was looking up on alldata and Mazda says to use long life gear oil SG1 for the rear diff which says on the bottle online 75w85 GL4 , but does not list an alternative. I wanted to know if anyone has more info on this fluid and would it be safe to use a 75w90 say Valvoline synthetic or Mobil 1 as they are both locally available. but to my knowledge diffs would require a GL5 for hypoid gears.

Last edited:
Just buy the Mazda fluid (which is pricey) unless you can get definite answer on why they spec 75W-85 GL-4. If you cannot, might be best to leave it alone.

The GL-4 could be due to yellow metals in the diff, in which case some GL-5 fluid could harm them. Many modern GL-5 formulations do not harm yellow metals.

well the only issue was that 2 dealers told him it is currently unobtainable at the moment.

I would be more concerned about any required LSD additive.

That Gl-4 spec seems very odd - more like a MT spec than a diff spec.

I am going to check Amsoil rec's - right now

AMSoil recs severe gear GL-5/GL-4 75w90 for your vehicle. I would pick a this or Valvoline or Pennzoil 75W90.
Then dope with the Mazda LSD additive - if required - or pick a LSD rear member fluid.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Mobil rear gear lubes.

- Ken

Last edited:
well the only issue was that 2 dealers told him it is currently unobtainable at the moment.
If the packaging says the oil is yellow metal safe, trying the 75W-90 may be ok. HPL and Amsoil say their GL-5 gear oils are yellow metal safe, but both are mail order. I don’t know about Valvoline or Mobil 1. It may be worth a call or email to them to find out.

gear1.jpg
gear2.jpg

yeah it doesnt make sense being a GL4 esp cause hypoid gears are gl5 ?

Back