Anyone have a old/er ex military vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gentlemen, and watching the one episode of SONS OF GUNS, I see that Will has a "Duece and a half" ex army/marine truck. Anyone here have one of those or a six by six? My one uncle has a six by six truck with the tarping that he can remove or keep on. He uses it to haul firewood and hard coal. Darn thing is about indestructible, and he even put a heater in it. Let me know folks, as someday I hope to acquire one or the other. Also can someone enlighten me on who built these? Think my grandfather when he was alive told me it was MACK, OSH KOSH and dont know of any others; so I may be wrong.

thank you all in advance,

Adam

I have an Oshkosh MTVR.

Just kidding.

Always wanted one of the NG k-blazers, or an air force dodge full-size crew cab.

Thanks JHZR2, and yeah, I always loved the look of the duece and a half's and the six by six.

adam

My grandpa had one in the 1950s when he worked taking gravel samples. Used it as a drill rig support vehicle. 4x4 was pretty rare on the civilian market at the time.

We have 3 of them at the Sheriff's Office, the 1 dollar buy it from Military Surplus deals. 2 are manual trans, 1 Auto. Continental Diesels 6x6 drive. Burn anything, diesel, jp4, jet a, and gasoline. Don't know how they do it, but we run diesel 2 in them. turbos sound so cool when you hit the throttle. They don't require much maintenance...

Dave

I'd love a Perrenti...or a Landrover 110...or a Mog.

But an Okka looks military enough that I'd take one of them post Lotto win.

Thanks folks for the replies. Yeah, Dave; I think the diesels in those are a "multi fuel" diesel engine my dad told me. My uncle is using old cooking oil and atf and old motor oil in his.

Adam

Originally Posted By: civic09
Thanks folks for the replies. Yeah, Dave; I think the diesels in those are a "multi fuel" diesel engine my dad told me. My uncle is using old cooking oil and atf and old motor oil in his.

Adam

Adam, the 6x6 2 1/2 tons will burn anything that is combustible. Took one for a test drive during Holiday Shopping Season, made my own parking spot at Wally Mart. No one argues with gross tonnage!

They were designed for battlefield conditions where specific fuel may not be available. Heck, they could probably run on camel pee!
grin.gif

Last edited:
We had a JEEP style vehicle, 6 volt, positive ground. Don't know the year. Put in a new battery, some fresh fuel and it starts each year. 4 wheel drive starts out locked up but it starts to function after a few feet of wheel draging. Just gave it away. Hope the new owner finally gets around to changing out some of the fluids, etc.

Dave is the 6x6 you guys have is it a MACK or OSH KOSH made one, and anyone know who made these? Dont know if my grandpa was correct or not.

thanks in advance,

adam

Originally Posted By: civic09
Dave is the 6x6 you guys have is it a MACK or OSH KOSH made one, and anyone know who made these? Dont know if my grandpa was correct or not.

thanks in advance,

adam

Ours are all Osk Kosh.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, and I dont think OSH KOSH makes heavy duty trucks anymore; will have to research this.

adam

There is a guy in Lucern Valley, Ca that has a whole car lot of those for sale. I never stopped to look at them but I have seen ones there with 4wd and huge tires and others more like a semi truck with 10 tires and 6x6.

Some have rag tops too! I think they have a 855 cummins @ 250 hp and a 5 or 6 speed trans.

One of these with the right engine (13BT), and a Lokka front and rear would satisfy most of my post military needs.

photo-1.jpg

It wasn't a 6x6, but how about a 4x4?

Back in the dark ages(probably late winter/early Spring 1969) Dad bought a ~1951 Military Jeep(M-38?). A friend found it for him, it was owned by the High School in Horatio, Arkansas. Flat fenders, blackout lights, red instrument lights, flathead 4-cyl, 24 volt(!) electrical system, military tires on it, an added-on-after-military-duty aluminum hardtop with no doors or rear window, a 4" or 5" diameter inlet/gas cap to the mounted-right-under-the-driver-seat gas tank, & a home made, welded pipe boat rack. Still had the brass ID, info, & shift pattern plates on the dash, proudly proclaiming its maker, Willys Overland Motor Co. Back then, there were *very* few 4WD vehicles of any kind in our area. Having a Jeep was really something!

I got to drive it all the way home from Horatio (we lived about an hour SW of Texarkana) at about 45-52 mph. I still remember the big sign in Delight: "Welcome to Delight, Arkansas, Home of Glen Campbell."

A wonderful trip for a 15 year old boy & a sweet memory for me now- and we had lots of fun for years with that old jeep. We could drive *way* back into the deer woods!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back