Anyone addicted to car accident videos?

When I was in drivers' ed, we were shown basic car accident videos. Later in the military we were shown very graphic car accident videos. Now as an adult they are widely available on YT and elsewhere. If I had a young driver to educate, I think mandatory viewing of hours of these videos will be fundamental in learning how to drive, or the consequences of bad driving, texting/driving, drunk/driving, distracted driving, racing, tailgating, etc.

If you have a young driver I would encourage you to consider these videos as instrumental to keeping that driver alive. They can be somewhat traumatic to view, but very important IMO.

Some of these accident scenes are unbelievably bad, cars/trucks become unrecognizable tangled lumps of metal, jaws of life, lots of injuries, etc. I think the problem with young and bad drivers is a complete failure to appreciate physics, stopping distances, need for all passengers to wear seatbelts, a sense of invincibility in their vehicles, etc. Modern cars/trucks are safe at low speeds but at high speeds they become coffins.

I watch a few times, some are crazy. But I quickly get my fill.

Few years ago I came across a crash report of an airplane. I think I found that more interesting. Lots of details, most of which I didn't understand. But interesting to read about the various intricacies of flight, the flight systems, the systems that support the aircraft, and so forth.

I have to admit I got a big kick out the videos this guy posted on Facebook. Couldn't find the full length version on YouTube, but you get the idea. These crashes crack me up for some reason.

I watch a few times, some are crazy. But I quickly get my fill.

Few years ago I came across a crash report of an airplane. I think I found that more interesting. Lots of details, most of which I didn't understand. But interesting to read about the various intricacies of flight, the flight systems, the systems that support the aircraft, and so forth.
Aviation accident investigators can even tell you if the engines (Turbines) were in use or not.

I don’t seek them out, but I do…. Enjoy (not in a “haha dude got smoked!” way but in a “so that’s what happens in this type of crash” kind of way) a unique one. Like the recent one that went around of the truck losing a wheel and the Kia going for a low earth orbit.

But I absolutely agree. I will be showing my 4 sons some crash videos when they start learning to drive. I’ll also drill the whole “you’re piloting 4,000-6,000+ pounds of metal, glass, and flammable liquids. A car is not a toy, it will kill you or some poor innocent person if you mess around” lesson my mother drilled into my head into theirs.

Reactions: Pew
I don’t seek them out, but I do…. Enjoy (not in a “haha dude got smoked!” way but in a “so that’s what happens in this type of crash” kind of way) a unique one. Like the recent one that went around of the truck losing a wheel and the Kia going for a low earth orbit.

But I absolutely agree. I will be showing my 4 sons some crash videos when they start learning to drive. I’ll also drill the whole “you’re piloting 4,000-6,000+ pounds of metal, glass, and flammable liquids. A car is not a toy, it will kill you or some poor innocent person if you mess around” lesson my mother drilled into my head into theirs.

They have made me a more aware driver, I find myself looking around for possible scenarios I've seen in these videos.

I’m not addicted to them, but I do watch them fairly often. At my age and health there isn’t a whole lot going on these days, so I have to mix it up the best way I can. 🤷‍♂️

When I was in drivers' ed, we were shown basic car accident videos. Later in the military we were shown very graphic car accident videos. Now as an adult they are widely available on YT and elsewhere. If I had a young driver to educate, I think mandatory viewing of hours of these videos will be fundamental in learning how to drive, or the consequences of bad driving, texting/driving, drunk/driving, distracted driving, racing, tailgating, etc.

If you have a young driver I would encourage you to consider these videos as instrumental to keeping that driver alive. They can be somewhat traumatic to view, but very important IMO.

Some of these accident scenes are unbelievably bad, cars/trucks become unrecognizable tangled lumps of metal, jaws of life, lots of injuries, etc. I think the problem with young and bad drivers is a complete failure to appreciate physics, stopping distances, need for all passengers to wear seatbelts, a sense of invincibility in their vehicles, etc. Modern cars/trucks are safe at low speeds but at high speeds they become coffins.
I have had the very same thought. They don't understand that they have used a high energy fuel to put several thousand pounds of metal into motion, and they have become part of that kinetic energy which has the possibility of being dissipated in ways not favorable for a good outcome.

I watch them now and then. They've made me more aware of the risks involved on my commutes. Truth is, they have pretty much caused me to be a bit paranoid though.

Not addicted. I DO find it pleasing to watch road ragers get their due.

Here's a pic from last Wednesday evening of the alleged idiot's car that hit our friend's 14 year-old nephew (passenger) - 3 surgeries later he is expected to recover o.k.. Rumor is that it was overheard from the police "alleged evil doer stated "let's try running the red light at 60mph". 2 dead/6 injured, 1 medevac'd. https://www.wlns.com/news/michigan/...w&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral Driving IS the most dangerous thing we do.
thumbnail_Image-41.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Pew
Back