Any notable 2008 Suzuki XL7 issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: wsar10
In my life I have just simply witnessed too many issues to not consider a preventative maintenance strike. Roughly ten years ago we had a legacy (H6) that had chains (that everybody said "no need to replace them @ 100K") and a chain broke @160K and bent 2 valves and scored 2 valve guides, I stopped the mechanic there......it would have been a $3100 bill and not worth it to fix, BUT had I stuck to my guns and did the 100K maintenance that car would still be running.

wsar10, I'm going to do my "Good Deed for the Day" and try to explain to you why your line of thinking is an error in judgement and why you would wasting good money on a timing chain replacement at 100k miles.
$2000 is a substantial amount of money to spend on UNNECESSARY maintenance at 100k miles. Let me explain why.
I know that you are trying to make the Explorer (or whatever else you purchase) last a long time, "until the wheels fall off" as you put it. Let's say for the sake of argument that you go ahead and spend the $2000 to replace the timing chain at 100k miles. Now, let's say that some moron runs into it 6 months later and it is totalled, or, at 120k miles something else inside the engine lets-go, you just LOST your $2000.
Now, let's say that you DON'T replace the timing chain and you put the $2000 aside into a "rainy day fund". At 130k miles the transmission lets-go, you now have the funds set aside to fix the problem, or, let's say that at 160k the timing chain DOES let-go (an abnormal occurrence), you can buy a used engine with under 60k on it and have it installed for less than $2000 (a low mile used engine for an Explorer is MUCH easier to find and MUCH less expensive than a Subaru H6 engine). Now you have a 160k Explorer with a 60k engine in it, plus, you drove it for 60k miles before this happened, FOR THE SAME TOTAL CASH OUTLAY! Don't you think that you would get a much longer usable life out of it and a much lower total cost of ownership under this scenario? Think about it.

Maybe.....
based on that theology than why do any maintenance ?
When I bring a 100K vehicle I end up spending $1,000 on just the initial maintenance, all fluids filters, O2 sensors, bushings, TRE's things of that nature. If i did not do that maintenance than I have diminished MPG and wait till something breaks and lets me sit on the side of the road, now I have the increased cost of operation on a daily basis and still end up with a repair bill..

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Maybe.....
based on that theology than why do any maintenance ?
When I bring a 100K vehicle I end up spending $1,000 on just the initial maintenance, all fluids filters, O2 sensors, bushings, TRE's things of that nature. If i did not do that maintenance than I have diminished MPG and wait till something breaks and lets me sit on the side of the road, now I have the increased cost of operation on a daily basis and still end up with a repair bill..

We are not talking about all of that other stuff, many/most of which can cause reliability and driveability issues if not taken care of.
We are talking about $2000 for an unnecessary timing chain replacement, and, we are talking about what the alternatives are to NOT replacing the timing chain (that isn't bad, and may NEVER go bad). In this specific case, the cure for a failed timing chain (a good low mile used engine) is LESS expensive than the prevention, assuming that the timing chain actually DOES fail. And, using your logic, who is to say that the REPLACEMENT timing chain won't fail! I know MANY people that have Explorers with over 250k miles on them, on the original timing chain. I know that you had a bad experience with your Subaru, but your SPECIFIC bad experience doesn't necessarily translate to other makes of vehicles, or even other Subarus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Originally Posted By: wag123
In 2008 the XL7 was basically a GM product and comes from the same GM family as the Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook, and GMC Acadia (but has a slightly shorter wheel base than these others).

Originally Posted By: silverrat
The earlier RWD/AWD XL7 you are talking about is totally different than the GM platformed more recent FWD/AWD XL7.

There is understandably a lot of confusion about what the 2006-2009 Suzuki XL7 is. Its a stretched version of the Chevy Equinox (Theta platform)using a slightly Suzuki-customized version of GM's High Feature 3.6L V6. (Acadia/Enclave/Outlook are sumo-sized obese crossovers on the Lambda platform.)

I would never have guessed that. excellent information! learned something today.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back