Any idead as to what went wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: onion
Originally Posted By: Chris142
This was the newest vehicle I have seen at our shop and the 1st with these GO-5 boogers although my personal jeep had it's Go-5 turn to a brown mess in 2.5 years/28K.

You've mentioned your jeep before- and I'm not saying I doubt you. But I have to wonder if there was an issue with the engine ground- I've seen several cases where this causes electrolysis and wreaks havoc on a cooling system within just a few years. I've seen it cause multiple radiator failures, turn the coolant rusty, and even eat holes in the engine block.

No electrolosis voltage in the coolant and it's been fine with green coolant since then. Has 95K on it now.

The BND site gives absolutely no info on the chemistry of the Quantum Blue coolant.

You were previosly using Dexcool in your fleet of GM G-vans. You have switched over to Quantum Blue?

in the process of switching out as required/allowed.

Currently replacing a 6.0 liter gas motored Savana engine, that will get QB in it asap.

Call up there and talk with the guy. He answers the phone. They have some proprietary technology due to their defense department connections.

The QB coolant also solved a problem that many SRT8's with the 6.1 liter 425 HP motor have experienced, namely the "cottage cheese" coolant effect. No sodium salts.

Please note that we run a fleet of GMC products in an outrageous duty cycle and have NEVER had a dexcool issue, ever.

It ain't the big bad ogre it's been made out to be.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Remember all late model [regardless of opinion] cars are built to the lowest quality possible. The metal or plastic is as thin as possible. I remember when radiators would clog from lack of service now radiators fail because they are paper thin.

Correct observation, however I would bet this is mfr defect, and indeed why didn't the customer or service techs notice the loss of coolant? I agree that Ford should make a "good will" offering and pay 70% of total replacement bill, as they may lose a future sale out of this.

There is nothing wrong with the G-05 coolant. It is the best coolant available today (most inert) when it comes to its effect on surrounding materials such a rubber hoses, aluminum, ect....with very good stability and protective qualities. On the other hand play with Dexcool ( and clones) if not necessary and take your chances.

Sure looks like it was a physical defect - not a chemistry one. The radiator I replaced out of the Jeep Cherokee running G-05 looked similar to this - lots of dry crusty [censored] where the leak was. I caught it earlier than this unit, but same type of residue at the leak location. And when the parts guy says they do a lot of these, that's the nail in the coffin. Just a bad part... It happens...

Oh, and seeing more G-05 cars with problems may just have to do with the fact major car manufacturers just switched to it in the early 2000's or so - the more neglected systems are starting to pop up now!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Please note that we run a fleet of GMC products in an outrageous duty cycle and have NEVER had a dexcool issue, ever.

It ain't the big bad ogre it's been made out to be.

Except for that whole 'cottage cheese' thing?

missed it again. That was in a Chrysler 6.1 motor. Not a GM product.

Factory RRT issued by Chrysler and problem fixed for free at dealers. Many cars never had any issues (mine included).

The guy who formulated QB coolant is a genius, and I have come to respect his knowledge in these matters. Call him up, he will tell you what's up.

FWIW, I'm still running an OEM Denso plastic/aluminum core radiator in a 1991 Lexus - and the car has seen nothing but OEM Toyota coolant.

We have a Quest that suffered from that same problem, it was a physical leak.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
missed it again. That was in a Chrysler 6.1 motor. Not a GM product.

Factory RRT issued by Chrysler and problem fixed for free at dealers. Many cars never had any issues (mine included).

The guy who formulated QB coolant is a genius, and I have come to respect his knowledge in these matters. Call him up, he will tell you what's up.

anyone that sells a gas additive that claims it produces 14% better mpg is a ripoff.

the whole site reads like a ripoff.. If hes a genius he needs to hire a marketing genius, not the dipstick jimmy guys.
My favorite from the site(below is a copy paste )

QuantumBlueTM

Custom Blended Lubricants

Because a custom blended lubricant will always outperform store bought!

CES IV Gasoline Formula makes a lubricant that is actually better than Tetra-ethyl or tetra-methylead!! You will get better gas mileage – up to 14% better – and the engine will have more power. We recommend the use of ACES IV Gasoline Formula in all vehicles. By the way, it is safe for all catalytic converters and emissions systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back