Any hope for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 750gb external hard drive got knocked onto my floor and when I hooked it back up, Windows said the drive needed to be formatted before it could be used. I had 3 partitions on it before with nearly all my downloads and stuff (many years worth of stuff) and it would blow my bandwidth cap all to [censored] if I had to download everything all over again. Is there any recovery program I could try to recover whatever's on my drive?

what brand? Sometimes the maker itself has a rescue utility.

Also you can crack the case open and hook up the SATA cable directly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
what brand? Sometimes the maker itself has a rescue utility.

Also you can crack the case open and hook up the SATA cable directly.

This.

Also, was the drive on or off when it hit the floor?

Hard drives can survive a surprising amount of shock when they are off. On? Well, that's a completely different story......

This is why having redundant storage is so important. Hard drives fail. It is a fact of life. Using something with RAID and a back-up is a logical approach that can save you headaches like these.

I made a thread the other day about a free old DELL server I picked up. Has a six port Adaptec RAID card in it, I tossed a couple 1TB WD Green's in it in a mirror and it is now my home NAS. Running a free OS and free server, total cost was just the price of a couple of hard drives.

You could search Kijiji or Craigslist and grab something similar, leveraged in a similar manner and then issues like these could be avoided. Just food for thought
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 55
My 750gb external hard drive got knocked onto my floor and when I hooked it back up, Windows said the drive needed to be formatted before it could be used. I had 3 partitions on it before with nearly all my downloads and stuff (many years worth of stuff) and it would blow my bandwidth cap all to [censored] if I had to download everything all over again. Is there any recovery program I could try to recover whatever's on my drive?

Try the suggestions on the following link. Good luck

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...39-48030af82a13

Regards, JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back