Any benefit to blocking atf cooler in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does have an optimal temperature, and up in canada you might want to block it off with some cardboard or something similar.

The first thing to do is monitor the atf temp with a guage, or in some cars you can monitor the temp through the obd2 port.

Just be ready to pull over and unblock it if the weather suddenly changes. I didn't do that on a Spring trip (thought I could wait until the end of the day because my engine temps were OK). I overheated the transmission fluid and bought a rebuild.

Originally Posted By: WalterMitty
Just be ready to pull over and unblock it if the weather suddenly changes. I didn't do that on a Spring trip (thought I could wait until the end of the day because my engine temps were OK). I overheated the transmission fluid and bought a rebuild.

I assume you only had an external trans cooler? My cars all have a water to oil and an air to oil cooler.

If it is an OE cooler, no benefit. Most are undersized anyway.
If it is an aftermarket inline with OE cooling, then feel free to block it off.

The trans in my Ranger won't allow the fluid to flow through the cooler until the trans is up to temperature anyway. If it's an OE system, I'd say leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back