Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'm glad the Jeep Wrangler finally got a more powerful engine. The previous V6 engine was not exactly a good replacement for the very good and durable 4.0L straight-6.

I'm not sure why you would say that... the 3.8 v6 had almost exactly the same torque curve as the 4.0, but had more horsepower too. It goes back almost as far in terms of design, and has racked up just as many reliable miles in even more vehicles over the years. It was the absolute best possible replacement for the 4.0... assuming you want to replicate the 4.0. The real problem is that tractor engines like the 3.8 and 4.0 both feel a bit outdated when competing with newer engines with variable valve timing and more gears in the gearbox. Especially since the Wrangler was already heavier than the Cherokee in 2000, and has only gotten heavier since. The Pentastar is being asked to fill some big shoes and haul a lot of weight (too much, really, but you gotta meet safety regs).

People have been saying how this new 3.6L like to rev and makes good power up high....I wonder how it behaves at low RPM like you would see in a off road trail?? Hopefully, it has good torque off idle like it has power up the RPM band.

The last offroading magazine I read asked the same question, and loved the answer. The combination of available gearing (both in the WA580 and the available 6-speed stick) works great for crawling. IN fact I think that's one of the primary reasons for pairing the Pentastar with the WA580 instead of the 545RFE - better gear ratios for a smaller engine instead of optimized for big v8s. The other (bigger, probably) reason is that the Pentastar and W580 already go together in the LX/LC platform cars.

I still would rather have a 4.0L or good old 258 for Jeep Wranglers. But, given that most never see off road, the new engine probably is a very wise move.

As for the "built in exhaust manifold", I agree that is no real concern....unless you prefer headers... Which you cannot do anymore with that design

Headers would probably reduce power on a modern, computerized, and optimized engine... unless you also did a complete computer re-tune also. My only possible concern would be more about excess heat transferring from the exhaust passages into the engine cooling system, or heat warpage of that part of the head. But its not a real concern, they've been doing this type of design long enough to figure it out.

And why would anyone ruin a Jeep with a Chevy engine??? :p

Excellent post, thank you. I can agree with all you said and appreciate the feedback.

As for ruining the Jeep with a Chevy motor, well, I can laugh with you on that one.
lol.gif
But seriously, I got that CJ7 in highschool (a LOOONG time ago lol) all worn out. I completely rebuilt it and restored it...2 times lol. The second time I replaced the body with a new steel tub (hate fiberglass).It is really nioe, custom paint, hardtop and soft tops, Dakota digital dash, Corvette seats, 4" softride lift, all the goodies etc... but the old 258 even with true dual headers and exhaust and the popular Weber carb set up was lucky to push maybe 160hp and with like 11mpg tops. Add that it has the T150 3-speed and the power on road is not too good. Off-road is fine. I had a buddy who had a crate 350 that he was going to install in a Nova but he went LS1 instead. So I bought the engine and the Advance Adaptor kit and took the 258 out. I now get around 17-18mpg average..with SCARY power in such a small truck, lol!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something that amazes me about the 3.6. 6 bolt main bearings! The bottom end should prove to be somewhat durable!

The engine noise complaint is what's scaring me, and the fact that they are replacing heads in vehicles with less than 5000 miles to resolve it. My main concern is will this be resolved when the 2013's roll out in a few more months, or will it be ignored, and fixed as people complain about it? It seems Chrysler bet heavy on this engine, and there are a lot in production or already made waiting to go into vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something that amazes me about the 3.6. 6 bolt main bearings! The bottom end should prove to be somewhat durable!

it's built with forced aspiration in mind down the road.

WRT comments above about low rpm torque, surpasses the 3.8 and 4.0 hands down. that engine is driveable at 1100 rpm, uphill...
smile.gif

Just wait, Chrysler is committed to the 8 speed ZF slushbox with their hot new V6. It's already in the 300 and getting rave reviews.

I would expect it to be behind more 3.6's.

Well I guess only time will tell if these issues with the Pentastar engine are going to be widespread, or small and corrected at the mfg level before the 2013 model year. I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling just yet.
21.gif

My wife has a 2011 200 Limited with the 3.6 and 11,000 miles with no noise whatsoever. That car can easily return 31 to 33 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph, plus it has scary quick acceleration, super quiet ride and comfortable interior for long drives. We're happy with it.

I'll be watching the boards closely re: the 3.6L Pentastar. I'm waiting for the 2013's, and will probably give them a few months before/if I buy. The last thing I want is a problem like some people seem to be having.

I will wait and see how the 3.6L holds up for law enforcement..Miami-Dade [and some other agencies down here] seem to be buying the 6 banger Charger since they can not get the P71 anymore.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I will wait and see how the 3.6L holds up for law enforcement..Miami-Dade [and some other agencies down here] seem to be buying the 6 banger Charger since they can not get the P71 anymore.

I'd be interested too. How long are the cars they bought on the road?

They have only been on the road for few weeks..I only saw 2 of the 3.6L Chargers..Due to budget restraints they buy very few cars at a time..They also have a sprinkling of 3.5L Chargers.

Just about all agencies dug up money from somewhere to buy as many P71'S they could before the line shut down last year.

I will definitely ask how the 3.6L is holding up..Leos down like talking about their cruiser..Overall agencies [whether fleet or dealer service] have very good maintenance.

I have to admit the new Charger looks awesome.

A lot of agencies after testing the Caprice [for months now down here] decided to go with the Charger after talking to the Leos who tested the Caprice.

Off topic, but do the police-spec Chargers have the HEMI badge if they have the Hemi motor? Fayetteville has invested a ton of money into the previous generation and new generation Charger, and all have the dual exhaust, but few have the HEMI badging on the front fender.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nope, only Hemis get the badge.

Note that one of the many changes to the Charger was real dual exhaust on v-6's too.

My suspicion is that we have a lot of 3.5L Chargers running around...that or the Hemi badges got stripped off during the vinyl stripe work and just didn't get reapplied. We've got a few of the new generation Chargers and they also have a new vinyl stripe scheme, and they look SHARP.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
They have only been on the road for few weeks..I only saw 2 of the 3.6L Chargers..Due to budget restraints they buy very few cars at a time..They also have a sprinkling of 3.5L Chargers.

Just about all agencies dug up money from somewhere to buy as many P71'S they could before the line shut down last year.

I will definitely ask how the 3.6L is holding up..Leos down like talking about their cruiser..Overall agencies [whether fleet or dealer service] have very good maintenance.

I have to admit the new Charger looks awesome.

A lot of agencies after testing the Caprice [for months now down here] decided to go with the Charger after talking to the Leos who tested the Caprice.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out. From what I'm reading the Pentastar engine is not the Gem the rags wrote it up to be.

I stumbled upon this today, its pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------
PASTED: One thing I found had to do with Chrysler's variable valve timing scheme. I gather that the engine computer can tweak the timing of the intake and exhaust valve camshafts relative to the crankshaft position as engine running conditions vary. From what I gather, this program is supposed to reset when the engine is turned off. There was a bug in the software that prevented it from doing so. So, when you start the engine again, the exhaust valve camshaft is still "timed" according to the way it was when the engine was last running. Depending on exactly how this was, it is possible for one of the pistons, during the startup cranking, to come up and "kiss" an exhaust valve, sometimes bending it. I guess that the camshaft time resets itself pretty quickly during startup, but not fast enough in all cases to prevent the piston/valve contact.
-------------------------------------------------------
Not good if its true. They're dealing with the heads, what about the pistons that did the valve kissing? LOL That's if there's any truth to this statement. Glad I waited, and I hope its water under the bridge when the 2013's roll out or it will be back to the drawing board for me.

I have rented two 3.6L Chryslers recently. One was a 2012 Durango, the other a 2011 Town & Country. Two completely different feelings with those. The Durango, well, it felt big and heavy at low speeds but it drove around town just fine and once on the highway it was comfortable cruising at most any speed. The Town & Country, maybe it had a transmission problem, it would shift real hard from 1-2 and on the highway it would downshift to 5th way too often. Even on flat land, you could set the cruise to 68 and it would slow down to 67...66...DOWNSHIFT...67...68...69...UPSHIFT...68...67...66...DOWNSHIFT...it was really annoying for a trip to St Louis and back. Looking back I should have shifted to "5" and left it there and took the hit on MPG.

Originally Posted By: occupant
I have rented two 3.6L Chryslers recently. One was a 2012 Durango, the other a 2011 Town & Country. Two completely different feelings with those. The Durango, well, it felt big and heavy at low speeds but it drove around town just fine and once on the highway it was comfortable cruising at most any speed. The Town & Country, maybe it had a transmission problem, it would shift real hard from 1-2 and on the highway it would downshift to 5th way too often. Even on flat land, you could set the cruise to 68 and it would slow down to 67...66...DOWNSHIFT...67...68...69...UPSHIFT...68...67...66...DOWNSHIFT...it was really annoying for a trip to St Louis and back. Looking back I should have shifted to "5" and left it there and took the hit on MPG.

Any odd noises from the valve train?

If that's true (the valves hitting the pistons) there is likely no damage to the pistons. If they just kiss, it is possible for there to be no damage, or to only bend the valves. It's not like when a timing component breaks and the pistons are rammed into the locked solid valves.

It seems unlikely that they would give the system enough variability for the valves and pistons to ever touch, even with a total control system failure.

Now, I could see the intake and exhaust valves hitting each other if the system was faulty...

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
If that's true (the valves hitting the pistons) there is likely no damage to the pistons. If they just kiss, it is possible for there to be no damage, or to only bend the valves. It's not like when a timing component breaks and the pistons are rammed into the locked solid valves.

It seems unlikely that they would give the system enough variability for the valves and pistons to ever touch, even with a total control system failure.

Now, I could see the intake and exhaust valves hitting each other if the system was faulty...

I had my doubts too, but either way the problem is not good. One other thing to consider is what happens when some carbon starts accumulating on the exhaust valves at some point down the road. Some of these engines are having issues with under 1000 miles, imagine what happens when some real miles are logged? JMO

I'd love to know your source as we have both city and county LEO's driving the new Chargers all over. Most of the city cars are 3.6 and 8 speed autos, and are quite zippy and driver friendly.

I have breakfast with these guys regularly at a small restaurant. You can bet I'll ask some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back