Another to change or not to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a 95 plymouth acclaim as a backup and running errands car. I changed the oil last October using meijer full syn 5-30 and a mopar filter. It has roughly 3,000 miles on the oil. It does get regular express way use when I actually drive it. I was thinking to change the oil but leave the filter on considering low miles and quality filter. Or, should I just leave it alone for another 2k or so? I have plenty of oil both syn and conventional, was thinking putting the same back in or Chevron supreme. I would appreciate any input.

Quote:
[/quote]

Leave the oil in for another 2k. You can get away with reusing the filter for another oil change (max 10K) on the filter.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: ranger99
Hello everyone,

I have a 95 plymouth acclaim as a backup and running errands car. I changed the oil last October using meijer full syn 5-30 and a mopar filter. It has roughly 3,000 miles on the oil. It does get regular express way use when I actually drive it. I was thinking to change the oil but leave the filter on considering low miles and quality filter. Or, should I just leave it alone for another 2k or so? I have plenty of oil both syn and conventional, was thinking putting the same back in or Chevron supreme. I would appreciate any input.

Quote:
Quote:

Take it for a drive once a month for an hour or so just to evap any potential condensation and to keep the oil from additive falling out of suspension.
There are used oil analysis posted where a quality syn was used for 2 years,but low mile and nothing in the analysis showed any problems whatsoever.
Oil doesn't have any sense of time. As long as its not in a pail exposed to open air there isn't any reason that it will degrade.
An engine is very good at keeping the oil protected from the elements so even a couple of years in a sump isn't doing it any harm.
Change it if you want but if its not showing any signs of water contamination or some other form of contamination I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Just my opinion

Change it in the spring. Let the harsh winter contaminate the existing oil.

Thank you all for the replies, I'll leave it in another 2-3k. No signs of moisture or sludge, its the usual golden color after a couple thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back