Another Quick Lube Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at my parents place last night, they casually mentioned that my mom's Prius was leaking oil. In fact, it only started leaking the past day or so after my mom got an oil change at the local gas station. My dad mentioned he had to wipe it off the garage floor and it was like a line going almost the length of the garage, rather than just a couple of drops. Red flags sound like crazy in my head - oil leak + amount + local gas station + coincidental timing. Normally, she gets her oil changed at a shop that they've been taking their cars to for the past 20+ years. That shop does a good job and I've even taken in my own car for minor stuff if I'm feeling lazy. Since my mom is getting older, she just HAD to get her oil change done immediately, which is why she went to the local gas station instead.

So I go and check out her car real quick - I was suspecting that they may have double gasket'ed the oil filter. From the top, everything look good. I went underneath to try and tighten the oil filter by hand when I noticed a good amount of oil on the oil pan, seemingly originating from the drain bolt itself. I touched the drain bolt and realized I could easily tighten it with just my fingers alone. I gave it a good turn using an adjustable wrench since my parents didn't have any ratchets. I'll stop by tonight and properly torque it down.

By the way - my mom paid $80 for a synthetic oil change on her Prius at this local gas station.

I did - oil level was 1/4 below the full mark. Either their overfilled or my dad exaggerated the amount of oil that was on the floor. When I took a look, there a small puddle about 4 inches long.

It could have wiggled loose right before she got home and that's about all that leaked.

I paid $200 for a "15k mile service" (=synth oil/filter change plus supposedly check dozens of things and rotate tires) at a dealer and was rewarded with a similar garage mess...they had OVERtorqued me like crazy. They did replace the damaged drain plug, but that's when I started doing my own changes. Glad you can just fix your problem with a tightening.

Now, for the big question...what torque setting are you going to use? Or no torque wrench because that is an admission of being unskilled? I expect dozens of pages of discussion on this...

I always get a kick out of the auto service and repair
industry representatives claiming that most shops are
reputable and do a good job.Riiight!

I'd say from consumer experiences MOST shops are crooked, and incompetent, only a few are honest and competent.

To the OP, glad you caught it before the drain plug worked its way out entirely and all the oil would have drained out destroying the engine.
You just saved that incompetent shop a 6000$ repair bill. They should thank you!

Last edited:
$80 for an oil change on a Prius, absurd!!!!!

Reason why I don't want the average grease monkey lube tech touching my vehicle. As long as I am physically capable, I will do my own oil changes. A lot of lube techs don't tighten drain plugs properly, over torque filters, don't get all the grease fittings, etc.

I love it when people say that they have the dealer do their oil changes, whatever. The dealer does not have their high priced mechanics do the oil changes, they hire some low waged grease monkey to do that stuff as well.

I will have to admit that Valvoline Instant Oil Change seems to be the most competent of the big quick lube stores.

Severely arthritic and fractured knee and a Civic that is a PITA to change oil because of the filter location has me no longer doing my own oil changes. the 05 Civic has had over 50 VIOC oil changes in its 300k life, and have never had a hint of a problem. Of course they know me by name at this point, so maybe I get better service. They seem to retain their workers too, which is a good sign.

Starting to worry about their Purolator made filters though. The worst part of it is listening to and denying all the upsells. They guy actually apologizes for it, but says he has to do it, which I'm sure is true. Local grocery store almost always prints out a $10 coupon each week with my receipt, bringing the cost to the low $20's. Between the physical pain involved, the difficulty of getting to the filter and the oil disposal, I don't mind paying it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeddy
I did - oil level was 1/4 below the full mark. Either their overfilled or my dad exaggerated the amount of oil that was on the floor. When I took a look, there a small puddle about 4 inches long.

An ounce of oil can look like much more.

The person that did the oil change did not fail. He just messed up one step. That would be a passing grade in school so it should be okay out in the real world.

Seriously, it's lucky the problem was spotted by you and fixed. Good job.

Disaster averted....I have almost the same story...cheapo oil coupon = stripped bolt = big mess almost blew the 5.3L suburban engine. Luckily a new bolt sufficed.

Solution: DIY for the past 15 years.

BTW, tell your folks they owe you a 12 pack of your favorite brew.

Last edited:
This is not a quick lube if you mention Gas Station is it?

$80 is not out of line for synthetic if vehicle uses oddball oil they do not stock as they pay top tier pricing for parts person to deliver it if not off shelf.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Now, for the big question...what torque setting are you going to use? Or no torque wrench because that is an admission of being unskilled? I expect dozens of pages of discussion on this...

When I ran Detroit iron I hand tightened. Never had a problem. Now that I have a German car and a Japanese car (both having alloy oil pans) I use a torque wrench. Don't think that's an admission of being unskilled. Interestingly (to me anyway) I have to tighten a little more to reach the proper torque.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I always get a kick out of the auto service and repair
industry representatives claiming that most shops are
reputable and do a good job.Riiight!

I'd say from consumer experiences MOST shops are crooked, and incompetent, only a few are honest and competent.

To the OP, glad you caught it before the drain plug worked its way out entirely and all the oil would have drained out destroying the engine.
You just saved that incompetent shop a 6000$ repair bill. They should thank you!

You are too pessimistic, most shops are reasonable only very small percentage are crooked and/or incompetent.

How many successful auto maintenance/repair are posted on internet ? Almost nobody posted a job well done, but most will complaint loudly even for minor errors.

In this case, the drain plug is so loose it is not acceptable, it can cause disaster if on highway and lost all oil. But I bet that the same gas station do many oil changes a year and this error is probably only once.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You are too pessimistic, most shops are reasonable only very small percentage are crooked and/or incompetent.

Not from what the general public and even media investigators have found. Many are crooked, and almost as many are incompetent.
You must live in an alternate reality, must be nice.
whistle.gif

^ Unfortunately I would have to agree.

80% of my experience has been incompetence or attempts to rip me off, sometimes both.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
This is not a quick lube if you mention Gas Station is it?

$80 is not out of line for synthetic if vehicle uses oddball oil they do not stock as they pay top tier pricing for parts person to deliver it if not off shelf.

True, I guess my referring to it a quick lube is doing a disservice to all the quick lube shops out there when in fact, the work was done at a local gas station.

Parents went to get the brakes done today at another shop -the gas station had pointed out the pads were low. I checked myself and they were on their last legs (but nowhere near as bad as I've seen). The mechanic tightened the drain plug while the car was on the lift.

I feel bad for not doing basic maintenance on their cars since I do near everything for my own cars, but the thought of having to meticulously research the "best" parts, order the parts online,and throw in my mom's demands to have things done immediately or she can't stop thinking about it, just really turns me off to that idea. But that's something for another thread (which I'm really curious to hear other's thoughts since so many members on bitog seem to be doing, at a minimum, oil changes for friends/family/neighbors).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back