Another Dave's Auto Center

He has another YouTube video where a vehicle with an engine 'tic' comes in. Previous shop replaced the belt, water pump, idler & tensioner. Removing the belt reveals the tic is still there. He feels the tic is a lifter and says the solution is to replace the lifter, cam and oil pump as metal parts of the failed lifter probably went into the oil sump were picked up by the oil pump and probably ended up in the oil filter. Head needs to come off to replace the lifter.

With over 200K on the clock he says maybe time for a replacement engine.

Seems a lot for a failed lifter. What about just replacing the failed lifter and saying that's as good as it needs to get for an engine with over 200K on the clock.

I did not hear him say he would cut apart the oil filter looking for remnants of the failed lifter. Might be there if oil had not been changed since the lifter failed.

I thought the motor should be replaced with 200K miles of local delivery service. If they planned on keeping it, may not be a bad idea to do an oil pressure and compression test, maybe leakdown too. I'm a fan of his channel.

I thought the motor should be replaced with 200K miles of local delivery service. If they planned on keeping it, may not be a bad idea to do an oil pressure and compression test, maybe leakdown too. I'm a fan of his channel.
Then you get into a rebuilt or reman or new or low mileage engine from junk yard. It quickly ads up to a big bill.

And at 200K how much life does the transmission have left?

He has another YouTube video where a vehicle with an engine 'tic' comes in. Previous shop replaced the belt, water pump, idler & tensioner. Removing the belt reveals the tic is still there. He feels the tic is a lifter and says the solution is to replace the lifter, cam and oil pump as metal parts of the failed lifter probably went into the oil sump were picked up by the oil pump and probably ended up in the oil filter. Head needs to come off to replace the lifter.

Seems a lot for a failed lifter. What about just replacing the failed lifter and saying that's as good as it needs to get for an engine with over 200K on the clock.

I did not hear him say he would cut apart the oil filter looking for remnants of the failed lifter. Might be there if oil had not been changed since the lifter failed.
Shops don't like to touch repairs, for the simple reason when your paying by the hour and if that ends up not fixing it, then the customer is out a bunch of money and no working car.

If its DIY in your garage and you don't value your time, or like me just enjoy the challenge of fixing something, then its worth a try.

Years ago I had a 2002 grand marquis that burnt a valve and had a miss on one cylinder. The engine had to come out to get the head off - the bolts were too long and would hit the firewall - so I was told. Ford Garage recommended new engine @ $6K. Realize this was 15 years ago so thats like $10K now.

I had 2 kids under 6, I was refurbishing a house, and flew out of town almost every week, so I found a guy on Craigslist that moonlighted. Took him a few weeks but he fixed it for $1500. I got another 80K miles out of that car.

Shops don't like to touch repairs, for the simple reason when your paying by the hour and if that ends up not fixing it, then the customer is out a bunch of money and no working car.

If its DIY in your garage and you don't value your time, or like me just enjoy the challenge of fixing something, then its worth a try.

Years ago I had a 2002 grand marquis that burnt a valve and had a miss on one cylinder. The engine had to come out to get the head off - the bolts were too long and would hit the firewall - so I was told. Ford Garage recommended new engine @ $6K. Realize this was 15 years ago so thats like $10K now.

I had 2 kids under 6, I was refurbishing a house, and flew out of town almost every week, so I found a guy on Craigslist that moonlighted. Took him a few weeks but he fixed it for $1500. I got another 80K miles out of that car.
I have hired marine mechanics from CL. Some worked out and some did not!

Then you get into a rebuilt or reman or new or low mileage engine from junk yard. It quickly ads up to a big bill.

And at 200K how much life does the transmission have left?
If the transmission goes out, it can be fixed when it actually goes bad; it's a separate component. What he knows now is that the motor seems to me like it's worn out and since this vehicle is used for making money downtime is a major consideration. It's admittedly a difficult decision, though.

Link to video?

I would've thought the oil pickup screen would keep pieces from going anywhere.

Mechanics simply don’t want to repair anymore. Sure you can make excuses for them like “liability”, future problems, even if they are unrelated etc. But all of that was true since the dawn of automotive.

Let’s admit the truth, most mechanics are nothing but part swappers, they cannot properly diagnose problems and they just go for max profit and little effort because it’s so easy to convince people that’s the best way.

Throw in YouTube and Internet forums and people do the convincing all by themselves by making excuses for the incompetent mechanics.

Round and round we go and then usually the same crowd wonder why everything is so expensive and that we’re a throw away society.

Mechanics simply don’t want to repair anymore. Sure you can make excuses for them like “liability”, future problems, even if they are unrelated etc. But all of that was true since the dawn of automotive.

Let’s admit the truth, most mechanics are nothing but part swappers, they cannot properly diagnose problems and they just go for max profit and little effort because it’s so easy to convince people that’s the best way.

Throw in YouTube and Internet forums and people do the convincing all by themselves by making excuses for the incompetent mechanics.

Round and round we go and then usually the same crowd wonder why everything is so expensive and that we’re a throw away society.
I have not thrown away my Dad's wooden handle screwdriver. The Philips point has some wear. Since it was my Dad's it's worth something to me but probably no one else.

I am on the facilities team at church. We are replacing all the stage lights with LED. We have surplus some 35 stage lights, large patch panel and a large rack of dimmer modules. Stage lights are worth almost nothing so looking to donate, patch panel will be scrapped for copper. Pull dimmer cards and toss the dimmer rack. Apparently the dimmer cards can be used by others as spares. So LEDs made all of this stuff useless and throw away.

Back