And the results are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my take, I know it's the esters that is unique. I got a feeling either way it cold or in hot conditions it won't be effected in either case.

Hats off to Castrol. A very stable synthetic oil I must say from what I have seen.

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
I mean would it do well say in Australia type condition.

Yep, Doug Hillary has some wonderful things to say about Castrol SLX, just ask him
wink.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
I have asked Tony and the Mods to post some of the Electron Impact raw data for all to see and understand how difficult it is to catalog and intepret the molecular structure of this or any fully formulated lubricant.

Terry

This is just part of the raw data information that Terry has to interpet for us to understand the components of this oil. I hope this will at least give you an idea of the complexity of the situation and understand why it is not valuable without expert interpetation:

Z-Oil (GC)

cheers.gif

What you are seeing in most of the traces are spectrum indicating majority PAO base fluids and complex polyolefin (co-oligomer) esters.

Many of the traces are showing what we call various "isomers" or various molecular weight PAO molecules indicating this is a mixture of various PAO's and co-oligomers or "complex" esters.

These co-oligomer esters, derived mostly from PAO and other polymers, have the advantage of providing shear stability without the need for viscosity index improvers. If the oil is very shear resistant, then wear is potentially reduced at high temperatures in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime. The large molecular weight hydrocarbon spectrum(s) we believe are of the complex "co-oligomer" esters.

Combine the fact that this is an upper 30 weight oil with the low temperature PAO cuts, and you have an oil that has good BPT's as well. The viscosity index is most likely better than than that stated in the Product Data Specifications.

For mixed lubrication or boundary lubrication regimes, the zddp and Ca provide the bulk of the primary and secondary AW additives with Mg providing the dispersant and FM capabilities.

The data to-date reveal no di-esters or conventional polyolesters contained therein.

The data to-date is also absent of any naturally derived esters such as from seed oils. At first, we thought certain refined seed oils might be contained therein, but no naturally derived fatty acid molecules have revealed themselves.

IMHO, the formulators and additive suppliers have done a superb job in developing a most interesting PCMO.

Very interesting. Seems like a unique oil. By far one of the most stable oils we've seen to date on here. Only other 0w-30 that I can think of that is as shear stable is Esso's XD 0w-30/40. So what are the odds these PAO's are still being used, only this time with a different add pack?

quote:

Combine the fact that this is an upper 30 weight oil with the low temperature PAO cuts, and you have an oil that has good BPT's as well.

I'm just a dumb Mechanical Engineer. Can you chemist types explain what "BPT" means?
confused.gif

Whats the difference between an olefin oligomer and a polyolefin (co-oligomer) ester, and should it be termed PAO or ester.

Are the polar abilities similiar to polyolesters and what % of oil?

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

quote:

Combine the fact that this is an upper 30 weight oil with the low temperature PAO cuts, and you have an oil that has good BPT's as well.

I'm just a dumb Mechanical Engineer. Can you chemist types explain what "BPT" means?
confused.gif

A quick Google search says BPT = borderline pumping temperature:

"Borderline pumping temperature (BPT) is the lowest temperature at which oil in the oil pan will flow to the oil pump to provide adequate oil pressure to various lubrication points. When oil is used below its BPT, a flow restriction occurs. Lubrication points will not receive oil and component failure can result."

Quote taken from here:
http://www.checkthatcar.com/new_check/oil.asp

Molakule, what's your marketing take on this? I don't see how Castrol is making any money by importing an expensive formulation and selling it for $4-5 a quart. Have you done any cost analysis to see if you could reproduce it for the same price?

Due to economy of scale, I am sure they are making money.

Importing the additives would be expensive; the PAO base oils one can procure here.

The oil is blended in Eur with additives from EU countries.

I would not attempt to reproduce it.

I prefer to use USA made synthethic base oils and additives.

None of the components I use are foreign made.

You have to realize the GC "top-dog" status is probably only temporary. Companies introduce "leap-frog" technology all the time which is tantamount to a continual game of one-upmanship.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
Molakule, what's your marketing take on this? I don't see how Castrol is making any money by importing an expensive formulation and selling it for $4-5 a quart. Have you done any cost analysis to see if you could reproduce it for the same price?

Why do you assume it is designed to make money? Maybe Castrol decided that since (at the time) Mobil 1 was available in 0w-20, 0w-30 and 0w-40 (plus 0w-30R for a brief period) that they had better get a zero weight out there so that SYNTEC is not seen as lagging behind Mobil 1 in ultra low startup weight oil. Since they cannot exactly chime in that only their 0w-30 has this great new technology without possibly reflecting poorly on the rest of the SYNTEC line, it just slides in. And since Castrol has a lot of European OE deals, this could be technology they were developing for that market with extended drains in mind.

It is not uncommon in the automotive industry for a manufacturer to make profit sacrifices in order to match product line breadth with a competitor. It makes more sense in this case as, I think most of us would agree, that Mobil 1 is the definitive synthetic in the USA.

quote:

The cost of shipping by sea is not significant. Once something get to the U.S., the trucking cost are enormous! Retail price at AZ is $5.38 here now. Castrol is British Petroleum, so it's in line with Mobil 1 and Amsoil pricing.

They are making money. If anyone loses, the supplier (Auto Zone) is eating it on the sales and trying to clearance products that don't sell or increase store traffic.

I'm sure smaller specialty companies are being eaten alive on trucking costs now. Trucking is the main $$$ in many products now, not the cost of the product itself.

quote:

Why do you assume it is designed to make money? Maybe Castrol decided that since (at the time) Mobil 1 was available in 0w-20, 0w-30 and 0w-40 (plus 0w-30R for a brief period) that they had better get a zero weight out there so that SYNTEC is not seen as lagging behind Mobil 1 in ultra low startup weight oil.

teamDFL, A few years ago Castrol was selling a Syntec 0w-30 that was made in America, but for some reason decided to start importing the Euro version.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
They are making money. If anyone loses, the supplier (Auto Zone) is eating it on the sales and trying to clearance products that don't sell or increase store traffic.

As someone with 5 years experience in the automotive aftermarket, I can assure you that this is simply not the case. I happen to know Castrol's 2004 WD prices (no I cannot share) and I assure you that none of their large distributors are losing money on their products even with higher transportation costs. Margins on synthetics are much healthier than they are on regular oils. Even at reduced prices, there is plenty to make money on. Brand name conventional at $1.25/qt - no. That is a floor traffic move that counts on add-on sales for margin.

I would not be surprised one bit if the AZ planogram for synthetic oils was partially the impetus for Castrol bringing a zero weight oil to the USA. A large distributor can easily influence product line content in a field with so few players.

quote:

teamDFL, A few years ago Castrol was selling a Syntec 0w-30 that was made in America, but for some reason decided to start importing the Euro version.

I did not realize this. Then the importation makes less sense unless it was felt that the 0w oils needed European certifications to combat M1 0w-40 and the old US SYNTEC did not have them.

If that isn't the case, I am stumped!

quote:

Originally posted by teamDFL:

quote:

I did not realize this. Then the importation makes less sense unless it was felt that the 0w oils needed European certifications to combat M1 0w-40 and the old US SYNTEC did not have them.

If that isn't the case, I am stumped!

I think you are on target and thanks for the info. AZ now has Castrol 5W-40 also. Both to directly to compete with M1 on Euro spec.
dunno.gif

teamDFL, you are probably correct because the US made Syntec did not have the Euro specs listed on the back. the only other oil was Valovine Synpower, but it's hard to find. Funny thing is Castrol didn't really market GC any differently than the other Syntecs, whereas Mobil put 'Euro Formula' on the front.

quote:

I believe, from having lived in Europe, that most if not all of the cost differential is in taxation not that the formulation is that expensive. All motor oils were expensive even those that I believe were counterparts to American oils. I believe that is why it can't be sold outside NA...no black marketing of untaxed motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back