Analog Dash Gauges Disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer a true glass cockpit that can be configured to suit my needs- one configuration for the road, one for the track, etc.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Digital displays are ok, as long as the info is presented as a bar graph rather than just numbers.

A bar graph or analog gauge has the benefit of being able to glance at it and go "yep, that looks about right." A number requires you to analyze it, rather than just knowing it's not significantly different from the last time you looked. Nothing like looking at your oil pressure and having to think "Hmm... 43... Yeah, I guess that's normal."

Digital gauge in the Honda S2000 is okay. I didn't like it at first but after some weeks/months it grew on me. The tach is a bar graph on top of numerical speed.

Analog over digital anytime for gauges. We live in an analog and not in a digital world. An analog gauge lets me visualize the relative position of the datapoint, while a digital display merely shows the isolated datapoint without context.

I like properly done analog gauges. IMHO the modern LCD screens like in the S class are cheap looking, and cheap to manufacture.

Its a car not an X box make the gauges real please.

Gauge clusters used to be works of art back in the 50's and 60's. Today Pagani has the best looking gauges in the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I like properly done analog gauges. IMHO the modern LCD screens like in the S class are cheap looking, and cheap to manufacture.

Its a car not an X box make the gauges real please.

Gauge clusters used to be works of art back in the 50's and 60's. Today Pagani has the best looking gauges in the world.

I totally agree. I don't mind the LCD display that now occupies
the space between many analogue gauges but I don't love that display taking the place of real gauges.

The new S class.

2015-mercedes-benz-s600-interior.jpg

Those ten buttons over the center console are also an ergonomic nightmare. Try fumbling for one vs another without taking your eyes off the road. Makes it unusable at night when the bulb blows. But yeah those gauges look like the cardboard "Proptronics (tm)" TV sets they used to set up on the home entertainment furniture displays at Kmart.

Also the steering wheel looks upside down. I do like the leather/ stitching however.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The new S class.

Yeah the dash looks like [censored], the LCD screen on the right is fine but the one in front of you is just cheap looking.

Jag, Audi and Maserati do it better.

-vert-porsche_panamera_s_2010_dashboard_instrumentcluster.jpg

As does Porsche.

Last edited:

The instrument is good, but I think removing the Panamera S insignia and enlarge the remaining 4 gauges would be much better.

There is no need to have a large "Panamera S" staring at you all the time. Is it to remind driver that he has a special car ? It's so cheesy.

PS I didn't know the engine has 6500 redline , I expected 7500-8000 RPM for all Porsche engines. This is 2015, not 1985.

Last edited:
Heck I had all the digital stuff back in the day in my Chrysler Laser. Actually it was even better because it even talked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Heck I had all the digital stuff back in the day in my Chrysler Laser. Actually it was even better because it even talked.

My 86 300ZX and my 87 Trofeo were like that too. All digital and would talk to you
laugh.gif
I loved it!! The 300ZX had a sexy lady's voice too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

PS I didn't know the engine has 6500 redline , I expected 7500-8000 RPM for all Porsche engines. This is 2015, not 1985.

It makes 420HP @ 6,000RPM and 385lb-ft of torque over the 1,750 - 5,000RPM range. There's nothing 1985 about that, in fact not having to wind an engine to 12 billion RPM is preferred by basically anybody who isn't suffering from some sort of affliction
wink.gif

I don't think I've ever met anybody who has stated that they desire having to rev a car to 7,500RPM just to extract 153lb-ft of torque from it
smirk.gif
And that's the torque PEAK
crazy2.gif
(because of course I know where you are going with this.....)

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I'm pretty sure that Panamera S insignia is on a digital display (that's likely what it shows at startup).

Yep, that is likely configurable.

I like analog, probably just cause it's what I grew up with. We used to clock the gauges so they all pointed the same direction while normal, this allowed you to easily see any deviations.

And thanks Overkill for derailing the inevitable Honda superiority lecture...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The new S class.

That plastic "wood" looks horrible.

Its not a Chevy no fake wood in site, its all real. You have just about limitless wood and finish options as well, so don't worry you will find a wood, aluminum, or carbon fiber you can live with!

If not Designo or AMG will do custom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The instrument is good, but I think removing the Panamera S insignia and enlarge the remaining 4 gauges would be much better.

There is no need to have a large "Panamera S" staring at you all the time. Is it to remind driver that he has a special car ? It's so cheesy.

The Panamera S is a digital gauge which acts as either a gauge or a GPS. It just says that on start like my truck says RAM.

Last edited:
The Panamera S is a digital gauge which acts as either a gauge or a GPS. It just says that on start like my truck says RAM.

Thanks.

I didn't know that. Never in a Panamera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back